Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"?? >

Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"??

Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"??

Old 10-20-2011, 05:41 PM

I hate it too. Find myself doing alot more small projects than I ever thought I would do. I also use basting spray and I made a board out of plywood and bought the display sheet from F &P which I really like.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:33 PM

You should go to YouTube and find a video on Sharon Schamber's method of basting. It is totally different and it works great. You won't believe how easy it is once you use this method. If you can't find it send me a PM and I will get it to you. I think I have a video. Good luck. Beulah
Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
That's how I baste my quilts except I thread baste. Hope you will enjoy the
process as much as I do. I find it very relaxing.
http://www.kathykwylie.com/blog/2011...t-in-sections/
Me too, it really works for me and makes a process that used to make me tear my hair out almost enjoyable...
Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 PM

For my last quilt, I hired a long arm quilter to baste it for me on her long arm. It was worth every penny! There are no wrinkles, and it is now ready for hand quilting.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 PM

I used to use our pool table, but I sold it ;-(... now when I need to sandwich my quilts, I go to the local elementary school cafeteria after hours and they let me put two tables together to accomplish the job! Doughnuts are good for bribing the maintenance men!!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 PM

I'm fortunate to have a large piece of plywood on top of a pool table for sandwiching quilts. It is a good height and I've had no trouble doing all sizes of quilts.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:10 PM

I don't especially like making the sandwich so lately I have been making baby quilts and using the QAYG strip method shown on Youtube by Missouri Quilt Company. It is quite easy and I don't have to make the sandwich. :)
Old 10-20-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
I agree. Once I've pieced the quilt top I want to move on to the next one. Sandwiching and quilting are my least favorite quilt 'chores'. Therefore I have a lot of quilt tops aka flimsies hanging on my upstairs railing for me to see and enjoy.

On youtube, someone showed a wonderful way to sandwich a quilt top with basting spray on a design wall, using a sheet to protect from 'over spray' , saving your back / knees from the strain of doing it on the floor... I'm lucky enough to have a large design wall but haven't tried it yet.
That's exactly what I have done for the last few quilts I have layered. I tend to make lap quilts rather than queen or king sized, so this works the best for me. I have put a large piece of very wide batting on a board (DH helped me with this), and have mounted it onto one of the walls of my sewing room as my design wall. Spray basting on this design wall, with a sheet to protect the hardwood floor works absolutely A1 for me. C9P
Old 10-20-2011, 07:52 PM

My third quilt, which I tied, was a king size. It was summer and I had large pieces of cardboard which I layed out on the lawn and I actually tied it outside!! My next several large quilts were professionally quilted from a company in Stover, Missouri. They do a super job!! I now have a large table in my sewing room which will accomodate a large quilt. Rag quilts are great because you quilt each block as you go and then piece each block together. Joyce
Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 PM

I'm lucky in that we have a large pool table that my husband made a plywood cover for, so I have a nice large place to lay it out for measuring for borders, backing and batting and for making the sandwich if I'm quilting it on my Pfaff. What I hate and procrastinate on is figuring out my backing and sewing it. Don't know why I feel this way, but I do,.