Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"?? >

Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"??

Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"??

Old 10-22-2011, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cattyqwltr
my biggest problem is my furry helper (cat) that likes to bury himself under each layer as I try to lay them flat. Threatened to sew him into a few quilts, but haven't done it yet.
Hahaha.....I too deal with a cat that loves to lay on anything I'm working on plus a pug with an "if its on the floor it's mine" attitude. I wind up locking them both in a room while I lay my quilt layers on the floor to spray baste.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
That's how I baste my quilts except I thread baste. Hope you will enjoy the
process as much as I do. I find it very relaxing.
http://www.kathykwylie.com/blog/2011...t-in-sections/

Outstanding!!! Makes so much sense. Thank you for this link. Added to favorites.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by kidhauler1948
What are you folks using for spray basting and how do you use it> This is the first I have heard of it, sounds like it would let go before I go a queensized quilt quilted and would make the needles sticky.
I buy the largest can that I can find at WalMart. Fabulous stuff and, no, it doesn't make the needles stick. Made for this and works perfectly. What I like is the ability to remove and reposition, if necessary. If you get a little fold or bump, you can just gently pull it away and re-do.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 AM

I am with you here... and do basicly the same thing.. I have 2 work tables from building material store and keep one open and the other easily stores upright between cabinets... I discovered with my last quilt that was too big for these 2 together to use an old cutting board... the cardboard kind that folds up... taped to tables which were pulled apart so board was able to be taped to both... my queen size quilt fit perfect...
Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
I can't handle the floor, either. I don't make really large quilts so this works for me. I lay as much of the quilt as will fit on the table and tape it down. What doesn't fit gets taped to the underside of the table. I pin what is on the table and then I remove the tape, move the quilt over for the remainder and tape again. It seems to work pretty well. Might be a problem for a king or queen but I think it would work for pretty much anything else.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:49 PM

your LQS stores and even hobby lobby will let you use their tables when not in use. So will the library and elementry schools all you have to do is ask and all they can say is sorry no. None of them usually have a big problem with that. but I love every thing about the proses
Old 10-24-2011, 05:24 AM

My local library has a free meeting room[for non profit groups only] I reserve one half of that for a few hours , when I need to baste the layers together. Diane C
Old 10-27-2011, 05:28 PM

This is why I love the quilting spray. Makes the sandwich so much easier...
Old 10-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Yes, ...yes... and YES! I hate doing that part. I love making the tops and the binding, don't mind doing the quilting on my home machine, but just despise the sandwich part.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:03 PM

I can't handle the floor, either. I don't make really large quilts so this works for me. I lay as much of the quilt as will fit on the table and tape it down. What doesn't fit gets taped to the underside of the table. I pin what is on the table and then I remove the tape, move the quilt over for the remainder and tape again. It seems to work pretty well. Might be a problem for a king or queen but I think it would work for pretty much anything else.

I can't take the floor, either, and, thus, it's hard to get myself to finish the quilt.

Thanks for helping me do this better on a table too small for the quilt top.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:10 PM

I have a Grace Pinnacle frame. I really don't like sandwiching. The smaller quilt, table toppers, etc, I do on a large 4 x 8 inch table the boys made for me. Works quite well!