Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"?? >

Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"??

Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"??

Old 10-20-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by woody
I haste basting too, we don't seem to have any walls I can use, so we are getting the kids ;-) ;-) a table tennis table.
I'm hoping it will work quite well to spray baste on :lol:
Please let us know about the tennis table..............My hubby is trying to talk me out of it...........doesn't think it will stable enough! I like the ones that you can roll up and move out of the way, but I would have room to keep it open and it would be nice to have such a large table to just keep stuff on instead of piling up on my cutting table..............I always have 2 or 3 piles of fabric for various projects laying around!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Margie
I love piecing and quilting and binding....I just hate making that sandwich. I wish I had a wall to do it on. My cutting table just isnt big enough to lay it all on, and I cant work on the floor because it kills my back. I dont have room for a larger cutting table. I think that may be the hardest part...at least for me...but then I am not good enough to do really complicated quilts.
I hate the sandwiching too. To get on the floor requires a crane to get me back on my feet so that is OUT. Last summer I arranged the 3 patio tables we have on our deck and put a couple doors that we have stored in the garage over the tables and laid my quilts out on that to sandwich them. This worked pretty good but it's a hassle getting the doors out of the garage! I've enjoyed reading the hits everyone has posted and the tute that was done by Mary. Will use some of these suggestions when I get around to sandwiching the rest of my 30 + tops waiting to become quilts!!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:46 AM

I don't mind the basting (I use the Sharon Shaumber method)but I HATE laying out the backing, getting the batting on, and getting the top smoothed on. Wish there was an easier way.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
I can't handle the floor, either. I don't make really large quilts so this works for me. I lay as much of the quilt as will fit on the table and tape it down. What doesn't fit gets taped to the underside of the table. I pin what is on the table and then I remove the tape, move the quilt over for the remainder and tape again. It seems to work pretty well. Might be a problem for a king or queen but I think it would work for pretty much anything else.
That's what I do. I have bad knees and there's no way I can crawl around on he floor so I set up a large table in my guest room. It seems to work just fine doing it this way.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:51 AM

Yes yes yes
Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 AM

i hate it too.....i am in a small house full of stufff...lol no place for sandwiching..lol so i go to my daughter`s Art class when there is no one there and use two or three tables....tape the back on the tables and go from there....i am a bit crazy...i really like my layers to be well pinned and i even baste with thread...have even glued , pinned and basted all on one .....i know i know....but...i can`t help myself....lol
Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 AM

Its not my favorite part of making a quilt either. Our library lets you use one of their rooms, we shove tables together, and thread baste. its great when there are 2 or 3 of us. We all bring a quilt and help one another. It goes pretty fast, and at the end of the day we all have a quilt ready to quilt.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 AM

Not my most favourite job but I do it on my dining room table or on the big tables at my seniors club.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:12 AM

I feel the same way. I would rather make the top and let someone else finish it.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 AM

In the past I basted on the floor, now on the bed. Much easier for me as I age.