Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"?? >

Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"??

Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"??

Old 10-20-2011, 03:32 AM

I also go to the local library. Makes it easier on the back and knees but it is still my least favorite part of quilting.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:48 AM

I really do not like this step either but have to do it.

I bought a basting gun and put all the leaves out in the dining table and shoot away. It is like the things that hold tags on clothes but much smaller and now it is not so bad.

Linda
Old 10-20-2011, 03:50 AM

Add me to the "hate it" list.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc
Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
I have a king size bed and lay them out on that to sandwich....I put down an old flat sheet and use basting spray....I will never do another quilt on the floor again and no more pins!
That is what I do as well. I haven't had a problem with overspray or any damage to the bed or linens. I do use an old fitted sheet and and old duvet cover.

If you have a large enough bed try it. It works great!
See, this is why I read these discussions! What a great idea! Thank you both!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:21 AM

I'm in an RV and don't even have floor space.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:23 AM

when I am in the RV and gone for the winter, I go down to the Wilder Rose craft building and lay out on the huge cutting table they have there and I love it. Wish I had room at home for something like that.

Linda
Old 10-20-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cattyqwltr
my biggest problem is my furry helper (cat) that likes to bury himself under each layer as I try to lay them flat. Threatened to sew him into a few quilts, but haven't done it yet.
That's my problem too! My cats pretty much sleep all day...until I bring the fabric out then they are all over it! Thank goodness for lint brushes and yes, everything gets washed well before gifting them!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:25 AM

I plan on making a basting wall, but I saw a "Sewing with Nancy" episode a few weeks back, where she fuses the layers with web!! I kind of dig that idea, but not sure how well it would work for a big quilt. I would have never thought of that!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:26 AM

I like to set up the old 2X4 frame and get the bottom layer as taut as possible and go from there. In good weather I will do this in the yard but anywhere will work.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:32 AM

I cant do it on the floor and i have so much stuff, clutter that i cant do it on the table either. I love my husband but he hasnt added the extension on ( he's gonna do it ) that would give me the room so........... I use a piece of our dining wall and pin the back on the wall , then the batting and then the front over the other layers , I then pin it with a hundred pins to keep it all together, then sew. Yes i have thousands of pin whole in the wall but i figure i wont need to replace it till my extension is done and if not then maybe it will eventually fall off the wall and it will have to be replaced lol. Whatever happens, the wall always looks nice with a quilt up on it ready to sew. I just decided to make do with what i have instead of waiting, complaining and getting nothing done lol...Problem solvered.... My husband thinks i'm the only one in the world with so much fabric, so i just show him everyone on this board whose husbands have built a sewing room for them, that shuts him up for a while lol . :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: