Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions >
  • General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

• General Chit-Chat and Personal Diaries and Announcements: next round of discussions

Old 09-14-2009, 04:39 AM

I'm fairly new to this board. I decided to join because it seemed like a nice place to get lots of good quilting information and because everyone was so nice. After reading through all 10 pages of opinions I'm not so comfortable anymore.

I have no problem whatsoever with people requesting prayers for friends and loved ones when they are in desperate situations. I have never seen a request to pray for someone to win the lottery - that would offend me. If you are person who prays then pray if you're not don't. I really like seeing happy new also such as pregnancy announcements.

GCC- the title is quite clear. To go to a part of the board that clearly states non -quilting talk and expect quilting talk is just unreasonable.

Quotes inside quotes- I think they are appropriate since specific things are being referred to. I would do it too but I don't know how yet.

PDA- If people want to "move" there why shouldn't they? I went there once and felt as though I was eavesdropping so I don't go there anymore.

If i click on a post that doesn't interest me I use my back button as someone has already suggested.

Admin., I think you are trying to please everyone and that is impossible.
    As someone has already stated - we are all big girls and boys and we all have a back button.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:47 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by ctquilter
    I have no problem whatsoever with people requesting prayers for friends and loved ones when they are in desperate situations. I have never seen a request to pray for someone to win the lottery - that would offend me. If you are person who prays then pray if you're not don't. I really like seeing happy new also such as pregnancy announcements.

GCC- the title is quite clear. To go to a part of the board that clearly states non -quilting talk and expect quilting talk is just unreasonable.

Quotes inside quotes- I think they are appropriate since specific things are being referred to. I would do it too but I don't know how yet.

PDA- If people want to "move" there why shouldn't they? I went there once and felt as though I was eavesdropping so I don't go there anymore.

If i click on a post that doesn't interest me I use my back button as someone has already suggested.

As someone has already stated - we are all big girls and boys and we all have a back button.

What she said!!! Clap, Clap, Clap!!!
    Old 09-14-2009, 08:12 AM

I really love this Forum! I don't have a PD, no time, besides no one needs to know the numdane things that go on in my life. I follow a couple of them, but don't answer too often.
    Since the last shake up, I have been very careful what I post and haven't started a subject, due to fear that I might do something wrong.
    This is probably just me having issues....don't worry about it....I have some very good friends on this forum and wouldn't wanat to lose any of them...This forum is a great stress release for me.
    I just want to thank you and the moderators for all of your hard work in keeping this forum going.................
    Old 09-14-2009, 05:05 PM

I'm one of those oblivious members who had (has) no idea that were was this much of a broohaha going on. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

As a still-fairly-new member, I thought I'd throw my 2-cents into the bucket. My main thought on reading through this entire post was that it seemed like much drama about very easily understood topics - although it apparently some people are making personal crusades about it with the news of flying PMs out there. I was really surprised by that, as most people seem so nice here. It's hard to picture a group of trouble-makers amongst us.

It's Admin's board, and he has suggested (not demanded) that items like quilt-in-progress pictures be posted for the entire membership under Pictures. Seems like a reasonable request, and I, for one, love to see items in all stages to help me learn and grow as a quilter.

Admin has agreed to keep both GCC and PDA, and it seems to me he is merely pointing out that a total move of some members into PDA was not what was originally intended. Again, makes sense to me. He needs to provide some specific examples of what is allowable or not allowable in GCC to ease the minds of some of the membership, but I fail to understand the angst of people being "afraid" to post, when a note to a Moderator would clear up any confusion. It's not like you'll be shot at dawn or anything traumatic will happen to you if your post gets moved, or deleted. I do agree with his new stance on posting the reason behind the change to help educate his membership. I've yet to see a locked or deleted post, so don't really know what this is for or how often this is happening....daily? weekly? occasionally? It doesn't seem logical that the Moderators and/or Admin would just arbitrarily delete posts. They have better things to do. Suggesting they get a life seemed harsh, since they are the ones who keep this resource available to us.

I don't participate in the PDA for two reasons. One, as another poster noted, it seems like eavesdropping at a private party. Thread owners may state that everyone is welcome, but that's not the feel those of us who aren't insiders get from the PDA. It's been stated repeatedly by numerous members that PDA is where they go to communicate with their circle of friends. The second reason was that its too time consuming. If members want to share that "I had a cup of coffee" "oh, I had a cup of tea" I say let 'em go at it. (I actually saw this exchange the first time I visited) I expected, apparently erroneously, that pictures of quilts would be in Pictures and pictures of trips and pets would be in GCC and that I wouldn't need to try to search them out in PDA, and that PDA would be used to chat about more personal topics like health updates and requests for prayers, etc.

I definitely have a major pet peeve about vague and ambiguous subject lines. Yes, I can use my back button if I get into the post and it's not something I'm interested in, but it'd save a lot of time to know up-front what it's about. Not all of us have high-speed connections. I like ButterflyWings doing the Joke:___ on her posts. It makes it easy to skim titles for a giggle when I need one.

So, as noted earlier, pull up the panties and deal. There's no way that Admin is going to make everyone happy, so everyone needs to be a bit more flexible and not take everything so personally. This is a wonderful resource, and I think those who run it ought to be commended for the time and effort they put into it, and their efforts to ask our opinions to try to make it right for all of us. It looks like quite an effort.

OK, maybe I talked too much and that was 4-cents worth. :oops:
    Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
    OK, maybe I talked too much and that was 4-cents worth. :oops:
    Four cents well spent I think! :-)

Very well said. :thumbup:
    Old 09-14-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by ctquilter
    I'm fairly new to this board. I decided to join because it seemed like a nice place to get lots of good quilting information and because everyone was so nice. After reading through all 10 pages of opinions I'm not so comfortable anymore.

Quotes inside quotes

ctquilter - at the top of each post, to the right of the subject line, is the word 'quote'. If you click on it, that post will be quoted in the message that you post. Hope you try it out. :D

Old 09-14-2009, 06:36 PM
    Administrator

I definitely have a major pet peeve about vague and ambiguous subject lines.
    I'm thinking about asking someone to become a "subject line" moderator.
    I thought about it a while back, but never actually started looking for anyone.
    But it might be a good idea to have a person dedicated to monitoring and fixing vague subject lines.
    Old 09-14-2009, 06:49 PM
    Power Poster

Admin, I think that is a good idea!!! :wink:
    Old 09-15-2009, 03:39 AM

It's pretty sad when the subject lines have to be moderated. This has reached rediculous.

Everyone have a wonderful day!
    Old 09-15-2009, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Admin
    I definitely have a major pet peeve about vague and ambiguous subject lines.
    I'm thinking about asking someone to become a "subject line" moderator.
    I thought about it a while back, but never actually started looking for anyone.
    But it might be a good idea to have a person dedicated to monitoring and fixing vague subject lines.
    I think this is a fantastic idea. :thumbup: