Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Experimental Bargello!  by Danmar >

My Experimental Bargello! by Danmar

My Experimental Bargello! by Danmar

Old 04-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by ddeew
Lovely colors! I just finished a bargello roman shade and discovered a wonderful trick (from this site maybe?) to keep bargello pieces organized while in process: hang all the pieces on one of those portable racks used for drying clothes. It made all the strips really easy to keep track of!
I don't have one of those racks unfortunately, so I just did like it suggested on the Billie Lauder video and marked clothes pins with the different sizes to keep them sorted. I have clothes pins marked 1", 1 1/2", 2", etc.

Thanks for the tip though. I'll be watching garage sales for a clothes drying rack.

Marilyn
Old 04-02-2010, 03:43 AM

Well, I got another section sewn. This is going to be a pain. My other sewing didn't have a 1/4" foot or anything and this one does. I sewed these 17 strips together and they measured 29 1/2". The first section that I sewed, which will be in the same strip/section when I sew it into 4 sections, was 30", done on my first sewing machine. So, I had to go back and take in the seams on it by a hair on the seams to get it to be the same.

As you can see from the picture, with our new table and chairs, I'm out of kitchen floor space already. I can't lay it all out like I did before. That sucks.

5th section sewn and out of floor space 4-2-10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42052[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-42052.jpe  
Old 04-02-2010, 06:55 PM

I got the seam thing figured out so this will go smoothly now. I went back to the first section that I'd made and unsewed the ends back to the dusty pink, so it's like I want it now. I also finished sewing another section. Here's what's sewn now so far.

Here you can see where I removed the yellows and whites 4-2-10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42916[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-42916.jpe   attachment-43019.jpe  
Old 04-03-2010, 05:07 AM

Well, I've changed my mind about the design of the quilt. I just love the 'waves' going through it and I want them to be my focal point, so instead of trying to add more 'waves',
I'm leaving the ones I've done alone. I'm going to fill in around them in the wedges with various purples. I made my first set of strips out of 7 colors and laid it out and I think it's going to be so pretty. Here's a picture of what I'm wanting to do. How do you think it will look?

The Start of a Purple Wedge 4-3-10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42993[/ATTACH]

Purple Wedge Close Up 4-3-10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43085[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-42993.jpe   attachment-43085.jpe  
Old 04-03-2010, 06:10 AM

WoW WoW OMG OmG is all I can say. I have 4 colors of pastel blue ,pink, tellow ,purple and some tone on tone white. and dont know what to do with it. Do you have have book that you are getting ideas from? I am going to start a Heart Bargello next. You are doing beautiful work.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:54 AM

I don't know how many spaces are between the first section that I did and the other part that'll match up to it. So, I've started at the beginning of the wedge and am working towards the outer edge. I have all the pieces cut and some sewn already, to the point that I can just do strips now.
Here's my plan. There are 7 pcs. in a strip. Using 2 with one reversed, like in the picture, there are 14. If there are more than 14 pcs. needed, I'm just going to use the inside one to fill. (Like I might have 3 or 4 of the light in the center of the wedge.)

Here is a picture of the inside wedge that I've got cut.
I'll finish sewing the strips, lay them out and post a picture.

The Inside edge of the Wedge 4-3-10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43143[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-43143.jpe  
Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by cmapco837
WoW WoW OMG OmG is all I can say. I have 4 colors of pastel blue ,pink, tellow ,purple and some tone on tone white. and dont know what to do with it. Do you have have book that you are getting ideas from? I am going to start a Heart Bargello next. You are doing beautiful work.
Thank you very much cmapco837! I think it's turning out really pretty. I wish I didn't have cats that loved quilts, as I think it would be simpler to sew these purple strips in where they belong, if the other parts weren't sewn already, but there was no choice.

So are you going to use your 4 pastel colors to make your Heart Bargello? That will be really pretty! I used light, I guess you'd call them pastels, to make my first bargello, the 12" block. I think it is pretty.

I don't have a book but I did a search for bargellos on the internet and saw alot of pictures of ones. I saved some of my favorites. I loved the look of the black in them. And I loved the 'wave' in another, so I'm just trying to make one including those 2 things, without a pattern. So far I think it's going to work out fine. Thanks for the compliments and the interest!
Marilyn

My first and only other Bargello. It's a 12" block in pastel colors.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43348[/ATTACH]

This is one of the pictures that had the 'wave' that I liked so well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43349[/ATTACH]

This is the picture that I saw with the black, and I just love it!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43350[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-43348.jpe   attachment-43349.jpe   attachment-43350.jpe  
Old 04-03-2010, 08:58 AM

Here are a couple of things Not To Do. The strips are sewn together on the edges that are cut different widths. Like sew the 1 1/2" edges together. (NOT the 2 1/2" width of all the strips!) I sewed the 3" strips on the 2 1/2" edge and had to take them apart, and now I did it again on the 2" strips.

Second, Pay attention! Don't do like me. LOL I'm thinking about food cuz I'm hungry. :o) It's not like it's not very noticeable, huh? Off to eat now.

2 Mistakes to Watch Out For
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43145[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-43145.jpe  
Old 04-03-2010, 12:09 PM

danmar, I love all of them (I'm a Bargello nut), love the one you are making and also am crazy about the one with the black,purples,teals,blues and golds. You are doing a terriffic job....I'm going to start a Bargello quilt (maybe a wall hanging 1st, cuz I know how long it takes to do one and I am not patient for the end result) as soon as I finish my Fractured Bargello Bow-Tie-Bag. Really, really looking forward to seeing your completed quilt. Jinnie
Old 04-03-2010, 12:17 PM

Alright. I got the wedge kind of filled in. I still may need a few more of the light at the center of it, but I haven't got that far yet. I also added some yellows and the pink on the side near the counter on the first section I did. Then on the 3rd and 4th sections, the sections right of the beginning point of the wedge, I also removed pinks to get the thing even.

My Pretty Purple Wedge 4-3-10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43289[/ATTACH]

Close Up of the Purple Wedge
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43425[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-43289.jpe   attachment-43425.jpe