Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Experimental Bargello!  by Danmar >

My Experimental Bargello! by Danmar

My Experimental Bargello! by Danmar

Old 04-15-2010, 11:58 AM

Wow! What a beautiful quilt. Thanks for posting all the pictures.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:37 PM

You know what I'd been thinking? That this is going to make a really pretty quilt. So, I didn't want to hand tie it like I usually have. I wanted it machine quilted. So, I decided early on that I'd try to quilt it myself.

But, I am a great fan of the QB. "Go QB!" I read alot of posts on here and I was reading about "First Tries" at FMQ. I've read about how "disappointed" people have been with their first tries.
I decided this morning, AT the fabric shop, buying the backing and batting, to have them do it. (Better late than never!) You all posting your stories probably saved my quilt from dying a horrible death! :) THANK YOU!!!!

I can't wait to see it quilted! Thanks for watching and sharing!
Marilyn
Old 04-15-2010, 02:31 PM

Marilyn, your adventure with creating this quilt has been wonderful....interesting....breathtaking....educat ional. The quilt is gorgeous, and you did a wonderful job on it. I can't wait to see it completed...border, quilted, bound. I'm sure it's gonna be a total masterpiece!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 05:56 PM

Hi Marilyn, I did my first carpenter's star from your pattern today, wow it does have a lot of pieces, but was sure fun,, was wondering when you made yours which way to you iron your seams ?? Do you open all them or iron them all one way or the other?? Mine is a little off used a piece of material I had cut probably for binding had alot of stretch, but a good sample will be making a king size quilt. Lol Thanks so much for all you share :) Brenda
Attached Thumbnails attachment-61365.jpe  
Old 04-15-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by brennalee
Hi Marilyn, I did my first carpenter's star from your pattern today, wow it does have a lot of pieces, but was sure fun,, was wondering when you made yours which way to you iron your seams ?? Do you open all them or iron them all one way or the other?? Mine is a little off used a piece of material I had cut probably for binding had alot of stretch, but a good sample will be making a king size quilt. Lol Thanks so much for all you share :) Brenda
Oohhhh Brennalee!!! That is sooooo beautiful!!!! You did an excellent job! I love the colors! I ironed all my seams to one side or the other. If your star is a "little off" I sure don't see it!
and I'm sure no one else will either. They will be too busy ooo-ing and awe-ing! What colors are you using in the king size? I want to see pictures! I love that block! And you are quite welcome! I like to share!
Marilyn
Old 04-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Thank you I am gonna make one like yours gonna use a square from colors of every quilt i"ve done :)
Old 04-16-2010, 08:00 PM

I forgot to mention that I eliminated the borders idea. I laid it out after I had cut the ends off even, to see what it would look like. I had planned all along to use a bright 1" aqua and then a 2" black border. It wouldn't of looked bad but I decided that I liked it better without the borders. So, there is not a border on the quilt. I am just going to bind it with black when I get it back from the quilters. Did I mention that this is my first quilt ever to go to the quilters?

Oh, BTW, one of the reasons that I decided against a border was that there are no long pieces in the whole quilt. They are all just a few inches, so the long solid color on the edges looked out of place to me. Just in case you want to know why. :)

Thank you,
Marilyn

My original plan for the aqua and black border. 4-13-10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63158[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63153.jpe  
Old 04-17-2010, 02:29 AM

It looks WONDERFUL. Such an inspiration you are.

Just got back from the huge International show in Chicago. Am nursing a bad knee which about gave out while walking around. Surprising thing was there were 3 (at least) ionventors there with feet and cutters that were revoltionary. I bought one of the feet and my friends each bought a cutter. Also rolling a seam with a roller rather than pressing. Marcia
Old 04-17-2010, 02:43 AM

I love the no border idea--you don't want to fence it in!! :wink:
Old 04-17-2010, 03:10 AM

Absolutely beautiful! Great job.