Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Experimental Bargello!  by Danmar >

My Experimental Bargello! by Danmar

My Experimental Bargello! by Danmar

Old 04-04-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
It's beautiful. How big is it going to end up being? The pictures make it look like it might be 10' x 12' or something but I can't imagine it's that huge. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Thank you IrishNY! As for how big it is going to be, I really can't say for sure. Yet. I just measured it across and it is 78". I want it a little wider though, so I added a few rows to make it about 84". (Nothing is for sure yet.)

I have the strips laid out at the far end, but I know they will have to be "unsewn" at some point. I'm just not sure where yet, so I'm just leaving them long. I would like to make it about 90" X 106" or so. Could be a little bigger or smaller though. It's probably those long strips at the far end that are making it look 12' long. Thank you for your interest.

Marilyn
Old 04-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
omg

i'm so happy to be sitting here watching this. i would never have the patience to do one this large. really beautiful work. can't wait to see it finished.

happy easter :P
Thank you butterflywing! I'm glad that you are enjoying this. So am I! I think it's going to be really pretty when I get it finished. Thanks for looking!

Marilyn
Old 04-04-2010, 04:21 PM

I have been watching your beautiful creation. I must have missed something, but please tell me why you have to keep un-sewing rows.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
I have been watching your beautiful creation. I must have missed something, but please tell me why you have to keep un-sewing rows.

Thanks
To make the pattern do what you want it to do, you would un-sew the strips at some point and then add in another strip. Here's a picture of the bargello so I can explain where and what I'm talking about.

Alright. See how the pink goes to the right edge and then turns back left? The 2nd picture here is a close up of that curve. The strips are all made the same and run from left to right in the colors.

See how I have un-sewn each row, (one color farther to the right each time), and then sewn on a whole new strip? This is how I make the pattern. Where I start the new strip, is the beginning of another 'wave'.

Also, when I laid them all out originally, I had the pink flowered fabric most of the way along the bottom edge of the curve. But, in the bottom right hand corner, you can see where a few dark pinks and a red are still attached to the pink flowered fabric. You un-sew them, any oddball pieces to make the line like you want it. I hope that is clear. If not, let me know and I'll re-explain.

So, you can un-sew to change strips and create the pattern you want, or you can un-sew strips, just to clean up the line you are attempting to make.

The 3rd picture is from about the middle of the picture where the "middle" wave meets the top one. Again, you can see where I un-sewed the strips and then added a new strip.
I hope you understand now. Thank you for your interest and your time.

Marilyn

A picture to explain why I "un-sew" some seams
[ATTACH=CONFIG]44599[/ATTACH]

Each row is un-sewn one color longer and a new strip is added to start the pattern over again for my 2nd wave.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]44634[/ATTACH]

Where the middle wave meets the one at the top of the picture
[ATTACH=CONFIG]44635[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-44599.jpe   attachment-44634.jpe   attachment-44635.jpe  
Old 04-04-2010, 09:19 PM

Hi everybody! I want to thank all of you for your compliments, comments, and interest in this project. I have had alot of fun working on it and figuring it out. I have got a lot more of the pieces cut now. Actually I have all of the pieces cut except for one corner wedge! Pretty cool, huh? I have a whole lot of sewing to do now though. I have it all laid out for you to see, but alot of these pieces are just individual pieces, not strips, thus a whole lot of sewing to do. Here is what it is looking like now from several different angles as I can't get the whole thing in my camera lens at this close of range. Once I get it all sewn together, I can take it out on my back deck and lay it out. That way I can get the whole quilt in one picture. Thanks again for your interest.
Marilyn

PS--At this time, it is measuring about 84"/85" wide. In the pictures, at the far end that's still not finished or the strips cut off, see the small wedge on the right, in the first picture? Well, from the close end to the other side of the small wedge is about 98". These are very rough estimates because it isn't sewn yet, but I laid them out and overlapped them some so I hope it's close.

She's Starting to look pretty good, huh?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]44644[/ATTACH]

From the Other End
[ATTACH=CONFIG]44645[/ATTACH]

My Experimental Bargello as of 4-4-10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]44800[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-44644.jpe   attachment-44645.jpe   attachment-44800.jpe  
Old 04-04-2010, 09:32 PM

You know what my favorite thing is about this quilt and the pictures. Check out those first 2 pictures that I just posted. Can you see the 3D effect? It looks like there is something under the quilt or something. The waves appear to be moving and it's high tide! Can you see it too? It's really clear in the second picture.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Wow! It appears to be undulating across the floor. You have created a powerful masterpiece! Great job danmar! And thanks so much for sharing the jouney (process and progress)
Old 04-05-2010, 08:49 AM

This is by far the best Bargello that I have ever seen. The design looks like some kind of cosmic event or solar storm. Beautiful.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:14 AM

Thank you very much! I agree that it sure is different from anything I've seen. I haven't ever noticed the "undulating" movement in any other bargello. It's been a pleasure to share the process and the progress with every
body along the way.
Marilyn
Old 04-05-2010, 09:29 AM

Thank you for sharing your bargello process with us. It is absolutely beautiful and I love your colors and the way they flow and move. Beautiful work.