Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where is your workspace? >

Where is your workspace?

Where is your workspace?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:06 PM

I am a new beginner quilter..and just finished my first project..a wall quilt I call it "Autumn's End"..I am already soo addicted and overwhelmed by looking for my first real sewing machine I did my first project on my grandma's old Singer..any suggestions would be great!!!! both of my daughters are in college or out of the house soo my dining room is now my sewing room..I practically live there..lol
Old 10-26-2010, 04:15 PM

I have just moved my quilting from upstairs (my children were giving me a hard time about climbing the stairs) into my den. Except for my reclining chair and TV, did away with most of the den furniture, including dining table and two china cabinets. I
didn't use the den often when I have guests. I
purchased two TV armoires that have five large drawers. :thumbup: Found them at a discount place that sells used hotel furniture., and along with my other storage cabinets, baskets, etc., I have a very workable quilting area. So what if someone comes in and sees the mess! "A creative person is never neat."
Old 10-26-2010, 04:28 PM

I cut my fabrics on my kitchen counter/bar and have a card table set up with my sewing machine in a spare bedroom.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by bluekrissyspikes
i use my kitchen. there's no table in there cause i have a pond where the table should be but there is lots of counterspace to work on although i find it irritating when i'm cooking because my sewing stuff has taken over. it's the only kid free space in the house other than the basement but i find it too creepy down there.
Forget where you sew...I just can't get over the fact that you have a pond in your kitchen!! Would love to see a picture of that.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:30 PM

So seriously,does the family REALLY need to use the dining room table???? Oh I think not..... WE NEED IT AS A CUTTING TABLE PEOPLE..... figure it out....LOL
Old 10-26-2010, 04:45 PM

I have space in our downstairs family room however after the holidays I plan to move to a room I previously have used as my craft room. I no longer plan on doing crafts as I like to sew now. Nevertheless, I need to clean up both areas...fold lots of fabric, etc. Need to get the Christmas presents done first.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM

In my sewing, painting, craft and "whatever" room
Old 10-26-2010, 05:55 PM

i took my large heavy and sturdy wooden kitchen table and moved upstairs in a vacant bedrom ! courtesy of my son that moved out , i was sad for a long time because he moved ,but now that i have a large sewing room i am starting to get over it
Old 10-26-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tally Kathy
We have a spare bedroom -
I iron in the laundry room - across the house, but the iron in the spare bedroom will make the lights dim if I use it there - don't want to cause an electrical disaster...
Hi Kathy,

You are indeed doing the right thing. So glad you brought up this aspect. This is more of an important issue than many of us know. Harriet Hargrave covers the electrical demands of the most commonly used items in our sewing area and says many of us are probably way under-amped to correctly protect our precious sewing machines and our home. This is especially true for our computerized machines.

For example, the average iron today is rated at 1200 watts. She states that irons with that wattage alone require 10 amps and most bedrooms, living rooms and basements are wired for only 15 amps. Start adding all of your other equipment: sewing machine(s), lights, lamps, often times a computer, printer, maybe a stereo, TV... you get the picture.

Those of you that are sewing at the table in your kitchen are likely doing so more safely than if you were in another room as kitchens are usually wired for 20 amps, giving you a little more available amperage to work with.

Harriet goes on to suggest that we should at least consider setting up our iron in another room of your home on the opposite side of your quilting 'room', as often times adjacent rooms may be on the same circuit. Overloading your circuit can cause your lights to dim, or worse, cause your sewing machine to operate at less power or even worse.

I've been using one of those travel irons in my sewing room as it is only rated at 600 watts, thus keeping my wattage use in a safe range.

For more details, you can hire an electrician, perhaps query your electrical company, or, read all about it in Harriet's "Quilter's Academy Vol. 2 Sophomore Year - A Skill-Building Course in Quiltmaking".
Old 10-26-2010, 07:12 PM

Dining room table. With an open floor plan it's kinda like being in the middle of the dining room, living room and kitchen at the same time. Waiting for DH to get my sewing cabinet built then I'm taking over DD's room -- she's at college, has her own apartment there.