Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SideWInder - Why? >

SideWInder - Why?

SideWInder - Why?

Old 02-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

Don't have one.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 PM

If your thread was not wound tight it was probably because you had it BEHIND the little lever like I did. I was horrible till I figured it out and had the thread close to the bobbin and the lever leaning against it. I too think that it winds more thread than the sewing machine winds it.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Jim

I bought one....I disliked it intensely...it didnt wind the bobbins fast or tight...there was so much slack in the threads I could wind them by hand faster...I use an old machine to wind mine now. I took that sad sidewinder back and spent that 30 bucks on some nice fabric
Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I have one and I like it. I don't have to stop and unthread my machine to fill a bobbin. I have a combination emb and sewing machine. While it is running I can fill bobbins. Personal preference.
I don't un-thread, I just remove the spool I am sewing with from the spindle and set it on the deck, then use a different spool to wind the bobbins, then re-thread. Quick and slick! :thumbup:
Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 PM

I got one because it was on sale for $11 - it will possibly re - gifted as I have never used it. I think if you don't want to take the thread out of your machine to wind bobbins it might be handy. However, I can re - wind bobbins without removing thread and also have spare reels of thread generally, so don't know what possessed me to buy it except for the price.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I just opened a box, that had a SideWinder in it - It looks like it just fills up bobbins - or does it do something else.

Mind you that I have 2 older sewing machines - a Viking from the 70's and a Bernina from the 80's - Bobbins can be filled on my sewing machines

Is it something that is needed in a sewing room. Isn't just as easy to use you sewing machine to fill your bobbins - Does everyone have one of them?
I love mine! It is faster than my machine and easier to use. You don't have to unthread or change spools around. It is down on the table, easier to reach! and in a class where there is a shortage of power outlets it runs on batteries. I can whiz a bunch of bobbins full in no time! nice to have stacks ready when doing overall quilting.
Not everybody has one. No you don't need it.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Craftygirl
I'm puzzled about this. Unless you have an extral reel of thread in the same colour, wouldn't you have to unthread your sewing machine anyway to get the reel off to put on the sidewinder. Or am I missing the point completely.
Of course you are right!
We get plastic bobbins by 8 or more in a pack.
The idea is to fill up enough bobbins to sew the whole project first, because they are interchangable.
I think people with embroidery machines like them especially because you can pop in different colors.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 PM

I just set a 2nd spool so I don*t have to re-thread the machine in case I run out of pre-wound bobbins--$ 30 buys almost a halftank of gas
Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 PM

I bought the "Dritz Better Bobbin Winder" which is very similar to the Sidewinder. I sew on vintage machines, and each one winds bobbins a different way, plus I usually had to hold the bobbin, or the thread, or something to get them to wind right. I love this little tool...pretty affordable with a coupon! I don't even mind if I have to unthread the machine to use the spool of thread.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Dee

Love mine. Couldn't do without now since I've used it. Its worth every penny.