Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do the binding by hand? >

Why do the binding by hand?

Why do the binding by hand?

Old 05-02-2011, 11:25 AM

I like to do bindings by machine. I love to do hand applique, but doing a binding by hand is a pain for me. I just want to get it done and move on to the next one.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:35 AM

Thank you thank you. I much prefer doing it on the machine
Old 05-02-2011, 11:42 AM

I sew some bindings by machine, some by hand. It depends on what the intended use is for. All baby quilts will have machine stitched binding to make them more sturdy and durable.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tink74
My Aunt, whom has quilted for years, gave this answer...hand sew to back when heirloom or decorative, machine from front when you want it sturdy. Make sense?
I've heard that too & it definitely makes sense to me. I also believe if they are for competition, the preferred method is sew on the backside. However, I was taught to sew on the back & flip to the front, machine sewing both "sides". I think it's easier & looks as good. Many ready made items are bound that way.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:54 AM

I agree, I always sew the binding on by hand, it just doesn't look right with a stitched binding, like it was done on an assembly line. I like the softer look of hand stitched binding. Just my opinion, I have friends that just use the machine and they are happy with the look, we all have our own likes and dislikes.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:16 PM

Most of my quilts are for babies. I want my quilts to be used, loved, carried around, dragged through the dirt and machine washed often! For that reason, I usually sew my bindings by machine to the back then bring the binding around to the front and machine sew it in place, I have used decorative stitches and straight stitched. With my most recent quilt, I did the method mentioned here, where I stitched the binding to the front, glued in down in the back with Elmer's school glue, then stitched in the ditch from the front. I liked the results - very clean and tidy.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:20 PM

I machine stitch on the front, flip to the back and machine stitch in the ditch from the front side. Bernina just came out with a new guide for the walking foot (it's an attachment) that makes it impossible to see the ditch stitiching!!!!If I were doing an heirloom Baltimore quilt or something like that I'd hand sew the binding.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:21 PM

I machine stitch binding on front and flip to hand sew it on the back. Have always finished mine this way. The hand stitching is relaxing...quilt therapy.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
I can't understand why it is so important to flip the binding to the back side and sew by hand with the blind stitch? Suzanne
As with most everything else in quilting, what YOU quilt, YOU get to decide! Isn't that wonderful? I do most everything by machine, but I do like the look of the hand stitched binding. I am REALLY bad at machine binding, mostly because I'm too impatient to learn to do it to my satisfaction. I say, bind the way that floats your boat! (except for quilt shows. I believe they look for a hand stitched binding with miters stitched down too)
Old 05-02-2011, 12:58 PM

Suzanane, you took the words right out of my mouth, my sentiments exactly, hand sewing is something I do while watching TV, it's relaxing.