Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep. >

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:58 AM

Good morning - personaly I would rather put my money into more fabric than plastic bins. my solution was to fold my yardage the long way, (like a bolt) just as it would have been on the shelf at the store, and stack it by color way. Even though you say your shelves are deep, you will be cutting down on the overlap of all the misc. folded sizes you are showing in the photos of your BEAUTIFUL stash. You should have easier access to your fabric this way, and be able to get down to business of sewing up more beautiful quilts - if I were closer, I'd come on over and give you a hand! :wink: Good luck
Old 05-15-2011, 04:27 AM

Zip locks do not work for me. I use plastic bins. For the small peices, I started saving Hillshire Farms meat boxes. They are the perfect size.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:59 AM

I was just about to say the same. WalMart has a nice variety, some project sized where I keep all the fabrics for a quilt in. Backing won't fit but everything else does.
Check out the container store, if you h ave one in your area. I found clear plastic drawers that slide out.

Good luck.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 AM

Sound like this is a great idea as well.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:33 AM

I like the plastic bins. When I arrange my fabric, I use the bins and sit them on end. I fold my fabric to the width of the bin and then stack them in the bin so when I lay the bin flat, I can see what I have at a glance. I use this method for my fashion fabric too. You can see what you have from the side or by lifting the lid. I sort by like colors, with batiks in their own.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by JulieTN
There are so many good ideas here. Work when you can be somewhat alone lolol - sip some wine cooler, play your favorite music and ROCK GIRL!!! aka dismantle everything and start anew?

Bonnie Hunter's quiltville blog has fantastic scrap organzing. Check her out.

I have seen gorgeous pictures here. HECK! I would slap anyone's hands for touching such pretty and perfect storage!
How on earth can anyone keep a quilting room so neat?! Amazing! Guessing some of us work better with a bit of confusion around the work space? I need just a bit myself.

Still thnk you have a gold mine with the large bins. Since yu have to start someplace, put large backings flat folded in them as a starter project. AND let us see your progress, please!!!! Gives us all hope lol

Julie
I can get it that clean but then I start a project and the whole thing gets turned upside down. Never ending!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 AM

I have gone to the fabric stores and picked up the cardboard bolts and cut them down to the right height and wrap anything measuring more that a half yd on them. The stand them on the shelf or you could lay them down and you would not need to cut them down. Put like colors together. Makes it pretty organized for me.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:41 PM

You have some plastic bins there. Get a hollow core door, paint it white or whatever color, and have your hubby or dyi cut some sides as legs. This way the bins can slide under the door "counter top" and you have another top to work with, maybe make it an ironing surface or a cutting surface. Of course, if you have a nice table, build a shelf in underneath and slide your bins on it. Or if you have rolling bins, fit them in under. Between the windows, find a bookshelf that fits and you have another area to fill. If you make the tables to fit under the windows, perhaps you can fill that whole wall. Use that cheap NBF or whatever it is called at Home Depot and use that as legs.
I would place another bookshelf on the back side of your sewing table, lay it down and put little legs underneath to bring it up to the height of the sewing table. Cover bricks with fabric or even old maps for legs. I have my fabric in bins and I am not 5' tall so I am going to redo mine too. I would keep the color of the furniture alike so as not to detract from the quilts you will be hanging. And use that top shelf of the closet to keep your batting on.
Good luck, and keep busy. You will get it done, I know you will!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:50 PM

you could do bins. On the outside of each bin use a clear photo cover 8x10 and place a small 4x4" sample of the fabric that is in each bin,that way you can view your fabric without stiring in it.Then you can also use the 4x4" with no waste.The patterns can be placed in a smaller binand turned on its side for easy view. Just a thought,but good luck!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by maxsoncreations
I agree plastic bins you can put whats in it and fold them in fq size and fit lots in a bin! Great room view. I stare at a wall!!
I agree plastic bins