Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without? >

Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

Old 07-22-2011, 05:45 PM

The adjustable shelves are a great bonus! I keep my stash and projects in plastic bins and it is a real pain to try to juggle 3 stacked on top of each other to get to the bottom one! Much easier to have clear plastic labeled bins, side by side, only one layer high, then another shelf and another row of bins. I plugged short extension cords into the outlets that were going to be covered by the shelves and taped the cords to the front of the shelves so they were accessible.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:50 PM

How exiting, I would not go without my quilting inspector or good lighting. :thumbup:
Old 07-22-2011, 06:05 PM

A big design wall and a large table are must haves.
congrats on your new space.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:33 PM

We went to a Grossman's Outlet store and bought two wooden drawer sets with three drawers in each and about counter height and painter them. Bought a length of prelaminted counter top long enought that the drawers sets went on each end with an opening in the center for a stool. Cover the top with a ironing pad and we have a cutting and ironing table with very little expense. Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:05 PM

my drop leaf work table that DH made for me. the leaves on both sides drop so it will reduce to12 inches wide if I choose.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 PM

The height of the tables are very important too. I no longer have back pain from being stooped over! Good luck to you. Enjoy!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Good Afternoon,

In September we are beginning our basement remodel. So the entire LARGE room (half of the house) will be broken into a TV / Computer room, and the other half will be my sewing studio.

I'm excited to have a new space that isn't concrete walls and floor. But am just looking for suggestions for things you just feel you HAVE to have to make your sewing space work for you
The standard machine and notions goes without saying. But what gadgets, storage options, or other suggestions would you have?

My big change will be having a dedicated outlet for my iron...woohoo! But anything else you can suggested while I'm in the planning stages would be helpful. :)

Check out the cabinets in Walaopa's Sewing room from July 21'st posts titled "My new sewing room from start to finish" She has some beautiful cabinets in hers,something you might want to take a peek at.
Have fun getting yours completed.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I am going to try to post pics of my area in its messiness. I have so many "must haves" it is best to show a pic. I'll see if this works, new hard drive and downloading is different than old system.

Edited to add: A ceiling outlet is over the largest table, which is 60X80 with a padded ironing top. The smaller table fits my large cutting mat, has a formica top. File drawers hold fat quarters and scraps. I like having everything hidden when not in use.
Gran of 6, your room is to "die for". You are blessed!!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by peabee
sorry, tammy, didnt quote your name for the suggestion of slots cut into top
Lol...quite alright. I'm glad you really liked my idea. And it does work, I've already tried it out to be sure. :D ...lol you know.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:50 PM

No carpeting! I totally love my new sewing room complete with wood laminate flooring.