Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for employees of Joann's >

question for employees of Joann's

question for employees of Joann's

Old 09-26-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sandee
As a former retail manager of 22 yrs, I can tell you that is the policy of many stores. Bag, purse, packpack & locker searches can be done at anytime & often are done as the employees leave. There are a lot of small & expensive items in all stores & employee theft is the major form of theft and the most costly for all companis. Most employees have to sign a statement agreeing to searches before they are hired. Some store search in front of cameras each day.
At one store I worked at, over all retail theft cost us $100,000 a yr!!!!!!
I'm not challenging your numbers, I'm just curious as to how the store (or chain) arrived at them. How can the store tell the difference between a shoplifter who gets away with it and an employee who gets away with it? It seems like all the store (or chain) would know is that the amount of discrepancy between audit and what was on the books.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
At several places around here they have to have clear bags to bring their personal items in.

If you don't have anything in your purse it shouldn't bother you to show someone ...even in front of customers. It shows you are an honest and trustworthy person that isn't hiding anything... in my humble opinion
I know I am honest and I believe I am trustworthy. But I also value my privacy. Not because I want to commit a crime but because I don't want my private business to be anyone else's business.

For instance, there are certain medications which can reveal the person's health condition(s). If their dosage schedule means they have to take it during a lunch break, I don't think they should have to give up their right to privacy regarding their own health, particularly if they are not requesting any type of accomodation from their employer.

Then again, maybe I'm just a luddite in this world of Facebook and Twitter (I use neither service).
Old 09-27-2011, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
It's standard policy in many stores.

To the people who complain about checking the purses in front of customers, think about the number of employees Joann's usually has working at one time and the number of customers waiting in line at any given moment. Would you rather the cashier walk to the back of the store and leave the customer waiting?
Honestly? Yes.

The day I prize my own convenience over someone else's dignity and privacy, I hope my nearest and dearest shoot me and put me out of everyone's misery.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:02 AM

I spent many many long years as a front end supervisor, and all staff had their bags checked before leaving the store.
Also locker checks were done at random, it a sad sign of the times.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by MsEithne
At several places around here they have to have clear bags to bring their personal items in.

If you don't have anything in your purse it shouldn't bother you to show someone ...even in front of customers. It shows you are an honest and trustworthy person that isn't hiding anything... in my humble opinion
I know I am honest and I believe I am trustworthy. But I also value my privacy. Not because I want to commit a crime but because I don't want my private business to be anyone else's business.

For instance, there are certain medications which can reveal the person's health condition(s). If their dosage schedule means they have to take it during a lunch break, I don't think they should have to give up their right to privacy regarding their own health, particularly if they are not requesting any type of accomodation from their employer.

Then again, maybe I'm just a luddite in this world of Facebook and Twitter (I use neither service).
I understand your feeling for privacy but your example regarding the medications is off base. As an employer and a human being that has medical conditions that require numerous medications I believe in open door regarding my issues. For example if I had an employee that was diabetic and was taking insulin or had to eat on a regular schedule or risk a serious problem such as a coma than YES I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT.If something happens on your shift and paremedics are called the first question they are going to have is are they on any medications. It slows down the process and can cost someone valuable time. Believe it or not I have had it happen to me on my shift and luckily the person having the medical emergency trusted me enough before hand to confide in me about the medications and I was able to let the paremedics know and they said it may have saved her life. So yes I have no problem with showing my bags and letting a few trustworthy people know about any medications that I am on and at the same time stop the dishonest people from making off with something that they did not pay for raising the prices for the rest of us.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:56 AM

Yup. I work at a retail store part-time and we always have to do a purse check before we leave. We need to do this check in front of a camera. Theft is rampant and it protects the employees from being suspect.

With that said, there are professional thieves that come into the store all the time. Even with our best efforts, they steal hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise with each visit.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:15 AM

Believe it or not, the worst stealing at Walmart is a toss up between employees and those wonderful women with children. I HATE women who use their children, especially the babies, to steal. Nothing like tucking a few hundred dollars of goodies in the stroller under your baby. Imagine how it makes the managers feel to have to call children' services to have them come to take your kids away because you are a slime ball.

And then...the screaming and crying....oh please, don't take my kids. HELLO? Maybe you should have thought about that before you made them a party to your theft?

And if you for one minute think just because you are an employee that your co-workers WON'T TURN YOU IN? Think again. Jobs are hard to come by, and yours doesn't put food on their table. We had a group of 5 cashiers who were more than willing to work out in the garden area. If that didn't make them suspicious, lol...nothing would. Everyone HATED working out there. I actually passed out twice because of the overhead fan set-up...long story, before they stopped sending me.

But when the business out there picked up, check out wise, but the cash didn't, of course security started watching them a lot closer. All five went to jail for theft. They were skip scanning to friend and relatives (who you are not supposed to check out), and literally stealing the cash, too.

Word to the wise....those cameras are not only real, but can read the UPC numbers off the products. Been in the security office and watched them do it.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by sewtruterry
Originally Posted by MsEithne

I understand your feeling for privacy but your example regarding the medications is off base. As an employer and a human being that has medical conditions that require numerous medications I believe in open door regarding my issues. For example if I had an employee that was diabetic and was taking insulin or had to eat on a regular schedule or risk a serious problem such as a coma than YES I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT.If something happens on your shift and paremedics are called the first question they are going to have is are they on any medications. It slows down the process and can cost someone valuable time. Believe it or not I have had it happen to me on my shift and luckily the person having the medical emergency trusted me enough before hand to confide in me about the medications and I was able to let the paremedics know and they said it may have saved her life. So yes I have no problem with showing my bags and letting a few trustworthy people know about any medications that I am on and at the same time stop the dishonest people from making off with something that they did not pay for raising the prices for the rest of us.
At Publix, we were not supposed to have cell phones or anything in our pockets. There are always exceptions to any rule, but there are reasons for the rules. The teenagers were so busy on the phones, so that is why that rule was made.

I kept mine in my pocket, and the managers knew it. If it vibrated, I slipped it out, checked to see who it was, and if it was an emergency, let the manager know, and they covered me. Most places are reasonable. It doesn't take long for the owners/managers to learn who to trust, and who not to.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Yes, its a store policy. Doesnt bother me, I would rather them know I DONT steal!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 AM

When I lived in NY, I have never worked for Joann, but I have had employees follow me around. When I offer to leave my backpack at the Customer Service Desk, the employees would always tell me no. I would rather leave it there & not be followed around. My four year old diabetic son & I would go so I could pick up stuff that I needed. I would rather have the employees ask to look in my bag then follow me around the store. I do understand about theft, but I AM NOT GOING TO JAIL FOR ANYTHING. I don't have a police record & I don't plan on having one now. Just my 2cents.

Have a blessed day.

debra