Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you? >

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

Old 05-30-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by prm
As a retired Home Ec. (now called Family and Consumer Science FACS) teacher I wish all of the respondents to this question could contact their state education departments to stop eliminating Home Ec. from the middle and high schools and return to foods and sewing classes. My state , Pennsylvania says sewing is a craft and not a life skill and has removed it from the middle school curriculum.
PRM
nutrition is NOT a life skill?????? Cooking isn't a Life skill???? Oh and sewing doesn't use any Math or Higher level thinking skills and cooking doesn't use science knowledge.....WHATEVER... those ppl in our gov. can't even sew on a button or boil water! Put them on an island with nothing but a basic clothes no food... let them figure out how to survive...
HomeEc provides the knowledge of survival with minimal materials.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
Originally Posted by prm
As a retired Home Ec. (now called Family and Consumer Science FACS) teacher I wish all of the respondents to this question could contact their state education departments to stop eliminating Home Ec. from the middle and high schools and return to foods and sewing classes. My state , Pennsylvania says sewing is a craft and not a life skill and has removed it from the middle school curriculum.
PRM
nutrition is NOT a life skill?????? Cooking isn't a Life skill???? Oh and sewing doesn't use any Math or Higher level thinking skills and cooking doesn't use science knowledge.....WHATEVER... those ppl in our gov. can't even sew on a button or boil water! Put them on an island with nothing but a basic clothes no food... let them figure out how to survive...
Pip pip and hurray!!! I concur whole-heartedly!
Old 05-30-2010, 02:54 PM

I don't think here in MA that everyone has to take sewing/cooking (the boys got woodshop in my day) at all! Today's kids are being cheated in my opinion. I remember it was a lot of work to learn everything for sewing but here I am at 63 enjoying looking back at all the FUN I've had over the years with a needle and thread and later a machine (which a woman at work was nice enough to give me) after she saw that I had sewed a party dress of brocade all by hand.Loved wearing that! I am teaching my Great Niece to use my new Janome. She is a natural I tell her. The machine lets me set the speed to her liking and it really helps. How about a thread on WHO taught you and Who are YOU teaching. Sharon
Old 05-30-2010, 03:09 PM

"How about a thread on WHO taught you and Who are YOU teaching. Sharon"

Go for it Sharon...
Old 05-30-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
Originally Posted by prm
PRM
I am a Family and Consumer Science teacher (formerly Home Ec - I have a degree in Home Ec)...there are a lot less jobs for people like us...the students have to take remedial reading and math except electives...This has a lot to do with No Child Left Behind...go figure
Old 05-30-2010, 04:54 PM

As a food technologist - I am the one who thinks up new foods for people to eat and cook in their homes - and a parent of two boys - I firmly agree that sewing and cooking is a life skill. Both boys and girls shoudl take these classes and the girls should also take basic wood craft and homr repair.

Male and females loose buttons on their shirts and sooner or later both gender also have to use a hammer, nails and screw driver.

The school districts, state governemnts and federal goverment need to understand that basic life skill include more than reading, writing, math, it also includes safely feeding oneself, how to clean one clthes and keep in good repair.

Hopefully things will turn around and schools will start teaching these subjects again.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:53 PM

My first major project, other than doll clothes, was a sleeveless jumper with a zipper in the back, in home ec class in 7th grade. We practiced without thread on paper drawings straight stitching and turning corners, then sewing in circles and spirals and then sewed mini paper patterns pieces together with thread. My mom took me to the local sewing store and I picked out a white background with blue stripes going vertically and red ones going horizontally that look like large stitches. When I went into class the next day, the teacher almost had a stroke. She told me I could not do plaids for the first project. I cried all the way home because I knew I could do it if she showed me how from watching my Granny sew all those years. Well, Mom took me right back to school and convinced the teacher to let me try, and if I failed I would learn a good lesson. So next day, she showed me how to match the plaid and within 2 days it was done with zipper put in perfect. She gave me an A+ and I got to sew anything I wanted in home ec from then on. Wore that jumper with pride all the way through my Senior year.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

My grandmother helped me make a cream colored print top, and I was ten years old.
Man I was hooked like a fish! :XD:
Old 05-30-2010, 08:14 PM

I learn to sew on my grandmother's treadle sewing machine. I think I was about 8 years old. I made clothes for my cats as I didn't play with dolls. Later I learned to make Gram's aprons and then simple gathered skirts for myself, then blouses. Gram was a good teacher. She taught me to embroidery and my first project was kitchen flour sacks towels. Gram took a gingerbread cookie cutter and outlined that on the towel and I embroidered that and then the days of the week. Wasn't much in TV programs by then, only 3 channels. Course with all the 150 channels today, there still isn't anything worth watching on TV.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:52 PM

6th Grade. Made a white stuffed bunny. Kept breaking the dang needles!

Kyia