Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you? >

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

Old 05-31-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
Tiffany--
Meals must be a nightmare for you. What can you eat?
And I'd like to know about being a "food technologist" too. I wonder if it used to be called Dietician maybe? So many professions change their names after a while.
I eat meat and fresh or frozen veges & fruit, and not much else. I love bread and I can use Pamela's bread mix. It's amazing & so far I haven't discovered anything I can make from scratch that compares. I try not to eat it too often because grains of any kind don't really set too well with me. You'd think I'd be thin but sadly, I am not. I've discovered a great choc. chip recipe and a recipe to make a chocolate cake in a coffee mug. Whoever came up with that recipe is a very, very bad person! It takes only 5 min. using the microwave to get chocolate cake. :twisted: But basically I stick to just meat and veges. I cook everything at home and the only place I eat out at is a Chinese restaurant I used to work at. The owner knows how to cook for me, which is really nice. It also means he knows how to cook for others with similar allergies and that has given him a boost in business from those with CD.

I love how so many of you learned to sew at an early age. Since neither of my girls are interested in quiting, I'm getting devious with my grandkids. This summer I get my grandson for the first time for a couple weeks this summer. He's only 2 and a half so I'm trying to come up with ways to make it fun for him. I'm going to pre-cut a bunch of squares for him to play with and arrange in whatever pattern he decides. Then, once he goes to bed, I'll sew them together and he can wake up to a quilt he helped design. We can even put a pretty one together for mom (my daughter), which will make a fun gift from him to her. My hope is to hook him early and make a lifelong impression! I'm supposed to get a granddaughter in November so I hope by the time she is old enough to come spend time with me I'll already have my grandson well and truly hooked. :-D
Old 05-31-2010, 02:00 PM

I sewed a skirt in Home Ec when I was 15.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:05 PM

That's great i know he will be thrilled! Have a fun time with your Grandson!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

My first sewing endeavor was the Stretch and Sew, anyone remember? Had a whole wardrobe of this, and went crazy with Christmas and Birthday presents. Glad that's over. My sewing was basically sewing small projects, drapes, curtains, and even did some upholstery work. Wished I had taken on quilting years ago. I have been quilting for 4 years and I have a lot of catching up! I just love.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:38 AM

The first thing I made was a very "stupid" apron with ric-rac on it in 7th grade home ec however I had a very smart teacher who assured us that if we made this apron we could move on to stuffed animals and knitting. So then I made a calico dog and the old fashioned knitted slippers. I will thank Mrs. Hinson to this day for her support and patience. This was many years ago and I went on to BS degree in Home Economics. Yes, that was what it was called back then.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:46 AM

i was in 7th grade and also a home ec pupil.....loved sewing and cooking. I remember making a short sleeve blouse and also a circle skirt. My 2 sisters and I are still the sewers in the fam with 1 ore who never sewed. Mom made all our dresses on her Singer Treadle. My cousin and i used to ride on the big wheel when we were about 6 yrs old....Lots of Fun. My sister who never sewed has it now but no cabinet since mom left that in Mo when she moved here to Calif.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 AM

Sewing is just a really fun thing to do. I find it very relaxing. Good to hear so many others sharing their own personal stories.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 PM

I don't remember exactly how old I was but perhaps 8 - 10 maybe. Mom had bought us a set of Child Craft books and one had all kinds of fun craft ideas in it and one that really took my fancy and imagination was a sock doll using a pair of mans work socks. I'm amazed I didn't get into big trouble as money was very tight then. Dad worked the loading dock at a steel mill and Mom work nights in the canteen to supplement the income so she slept during the day. One day I decided to use a pair of Dad's work socks, without permission, and used Mom's treadle sewing machine (I'd spent hours watching her sew our dresses and clothes) and made the cutest doll. I took my allowance money and walked a few blocks to the dime store and bought some cotton to stuff the socks and I didn't know that there was special stuffing to use and actually spent more than necessary and bought the first aid cotton. Then of course I had to make an outfit to dress the doll. I do remember making more than one and using my allowance money to buy more socks as I didn't use Dad's after that. When I needed a new pair, Mom would take me to the store to buy a new pair and I had a lot of fun making those dolls. I didn't get any formal sewing instruction until 7th grade home ec and then I had home ec each year through my sophomore year in high school. My junior year I had to begin college prep courses so that was the end of home ec. After I was married, I made most of our children's clothes when they were preschoolers and did my son's 8th grade graduation suit and it looked as nice as the expensive store bought ones and did two beautiful dresses for our daughter for homecoming in highschool. Over the years I did a variety of garments but now it's all quilting - quilts fit everyone and are loved and appreciated.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 AM

Isn't it odd how some of us are drawn to sewing and others could care less. Thinking about it, I guess it is that way with most everything in life.I can renmember when I couldn't afford to buy new fabric, so I would take used clothing and take it apart. I would wash it, press it and I had my material for sewing.I do remember also years ago I could go to a discount fabric shop and buy bolt ends of fabric for 25 cent to 50 cent. It was large enough to make adult clothing, Mom and I would make clothing for a dress shop. I sure miss Mom and those many sewing days we shared.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:04 AM

I sat on my mom's lap and "helped" hem something...maybe dishtowels...when I was 4 or 5. Stood on a chair to iron those and pillowcases and hankies a year or two later. Did dollclothes (for Barbie type dolls) by hand in elementary school. First garment for myself I was about 13 and did a pair of bermuda shorts...zipper was completely exposed, fabric was too flimsy, they were too big, etc...wore 'em all summer anyway. Took home ec the following fall and all through HS and majored in it in college. Considered getting a masters in fashion design, but headed in other directions instead. Never did teach home ec, but did teach pre-k and first grade for a short time. Have made lots of clothes and costumes for family and friends, some upholstry, counted cross stitch, knitting, crocheting, macrame, etc. Now I mostly do quilting and renfaire costumes.