Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Am I being to sensitive?? >

Am I being to sensitive??

Am I being to sensitive??

Old 07-16-2011, 11:37 AM

Sorry double post!
Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Cute quilt! The fact that he called it a blanket should give you a little insight into their frame of understanding. I bet the little guy is going to love it.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

You did great, and I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the "blankie" that the little guy doesn't want to give up when he grows up.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kathios
Your quilt is lovely and you should be very proud. I receive hundreds of quilts, afghans and fleece blankets for my Linus chapter. When I bring them to the local facilities, the fleece blankets always get the most attention. I think it is the "feel" of the fleece, or the bulky nature....I often mention that the quilts are worth well over a hundred dollars each, and the fleece are often kits, but unless you are a crafter, it is hard to get them to understand the priceless nature of the quilts.

I completely agree I make charity quits as well and some people just don't realize the time and cost involved in quilt making. Their short sightedness is their LOSS we all know how much time and love you put into your quilt and all they want are mass produced items from China!
Old 07-16-2011, 11:47 AM

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Made a beautiful rail fence quilt for my niece's shower and she said the same thing. Oh, another blanket! Makes you want to grab it up and say, "Nope sorry, NOT another blanket, not from me anyway! People can be so insensitive and ungrateful!
Old 07-16-2011, 11:59 AM

Sorry about the reception to your beautiful quilt. Makes me think that someone "special" to them made the other tie fleece blanket. They went overboard with that.
She will no doubt like the fact that the quilt will with stand the baby, and the fleece one may or may not.
Thank you for sharing.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:03 PM

I understand totally. I quilted a blanket panel for my own daughter's baby shower (one that she requested). I have not seen her use it yet. Although I do see all of the "store bought" blankets that she received at her shower. Maybe when she gets older and more mature, she will realize all of the effort that was put into this blanket. I LOVE handmade items...but many others do not appreciate the efforts or have any clue as to how many hours go into making a blanket. Your quilt gift is beautiful and should be greatly appreciated. Will last much longer than a store bought item and contains much more love. You did good!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:04 PM

I would be extremely extatic to receive this beautiful quilt as a gift. I don't think people realize how much work we put into them.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:06 PM

I love it! I am sure when people who know what work you put into it see it , and oo and ah they will then get it! I have had that happen too and it does make you sad! Its a great quilt!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Jane
It is a lovely quilt. I, too, don't know quite how to feel - made a quilt for my new grandson and everyone ooh and awed over it, but it has never been used. I meant for it to be used.
I tell the parents that the quilt is for enjoying..play with it , make forts and tents with it, have a picnic in the back yard, lay on the floor or cuddle with their pets with it but USE IT, make memories with it and when it falls apart, I will make a new one. Works for me.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Your quilt is so perfect, I'm sure they assumed it was store-bought. I've made many a baby quilt only to see the young mother fawn all over one of those tied fleece things. Don't let it get to you. Your quilt is wonderful!!