Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 AM

My mom and grandma taught me, my mother was a master embroiderer, she did beautiful work!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:18 AM

I started sewing my doll clothes when I was 4 and still have the musty old things and my favorite doll. You can see how I progressed in sewing by looking at the clothes.Just can't do away with them and who else would want them. Well they say you can't take anything with you when you die. I just tell my kids when I die and no one wants it there will be plenty of room at the foot. I must have some Indian blood cause I don't want to leave home without it. Spent my life making beautiful clothes, oil painting,needlepoint, woodburning,crocheting, knitting, most all crafts and never did one I could not enjoy except for shell craft. The more I tried the more nervous I became until I finally decided what difference did it make if I did not want to do it.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:19 AM

No--I already knew. Home ec taught the hard way to do everything.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 AM

Took Home-Ec in high school. Hated it. I already knew how to cook and I sewed better than the teacher. But it was a small school and I needed the credit to graduate.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Banned

My Mom taught me in 4-H, then I thought I knew everything when I took a Home-Ec class in high school, so I skipped out of class whenever possible. Got a D in the class. Have been sewing/quilting ever since.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Crqltr
Yup..took home ec all four years of high school..hated it then but it was a easy a and back then the a is what it was all about!!
I hear you - but I think enough wore off so look where we are today! without that general knowledge, we probably would not be trying to endeavor some of the things we do now.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:32 AM

I think it was 7th grade.I loved it and stayed with it all these years.Connie in CO
Old 08-30-2011, 06:33 AM

I started sewing at the age of 5 yrs. Feel that I had the best teacher in the world --- my mother. In fact I learned on her treadel (which I have in my posession to this day). Did take home ec in high school. Needed the cooking part instead of the sewing. I first would do as the teacher said then when I was given the go ahead to cut I would unpin & do it as I was taught. Didn't waist material that way, & was able to get something else out of what was saved & was still on grain.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 AM

First my Grandmother taught me lots when I went to visit her as a child. At first she would let me go through her scraps to sew pillows, snakes, simple things. Later she did teach us kids to sew more advanced items, so Home Ec in school was much easier to grasp. I loved my Home Ec teachers, they were very caring, and helpful and even now I think of how much what they taught us kids was so important to what we do every day at home and work. It's sad to think that so many schools have done away with this important class, as well as "SHOP" for the boys to learn wood working and such. I recall towards the end of the school year going to school on a special night where students from Art - HomeEc - Shop all had their projects on display for parents to see the work of their kids and fellow class mates. Coats, dresses, slacks, gun cabinets, coffee tables, clocks, paintings..... there was a huge display for all to see. Now it is so limited, I wonder how much creativity is lost due to cutbacks to fund these extreamly important classes.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 AM

I got my first sewing lesson at the age of 12 at home from my mother and the neighborhood grandmother. I have been sewing ever since.