Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >
  • Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

• Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:35 PM

yup sure did... 6-9th grade... my kids are now going to that school. the preschool is now in the home ec room...
    both boys and girls had to take the class./. 1/2 yr cooking.. 1/2 sewing.....
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:01 PM

I was sewing before but did Home Ec all thru Jr High and Hi School. I was even President of our Future Homemakers of America (FHA) in High School...lol.
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 PM
    Cyn

I'm self-taught and it probably shows :)
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 PM

I wouldn't have been caught DEAD in ANY Home Ec classes when I was in high school. LOL I wanted to take shop, but girls couldn't take shop, of course, they changed that the year AFTER I graduated. LOL

I was actually asked not to take Home Ec in HS --- by the teacher!!! I had been sewing since I was 6 and had several blue ribbons from 4H and County Fairs --- she said my time would be better spent elsewhere!!!

By the time I got to Home Ec in Jr High I was already sewing. My teacher would shake her head trying to keep me going while getting the others going on the basics. I manaaged to finagle Home Ec in High School and was the Betty Crocker Homemaker of Tomorrow in my senior year. (And she would spin in here grave if she could see my house) Wonder if they still give that award.
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:17 PM

No Home Ec was the only class that I almost failed she gave me a point so I would have a sixty five and pass it For the most part I was a straight A high B student No other grades close to failing It was horrible I hated it My mother sewed so my husband thought I could and bought me a sewing machine for our first anniversary Our thirtieth is coming up in two weeks Wonder what I will get then
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 PM

I did! I was looking for a class to take the last half of my 9th grade year. My mom insisted on a Home Ec class, and I was NOT interested in cooking class. So I thought, what the heck- sewing it is!
    I knew nothing going into it. By the end of the semester, I was helping the teacher with special projects, and helping other kids in the class. I took sewing again that fall as a HS sophomore and my teacher recommended me for an opening at a local dept store working in alterations- I was barely 16 at the time. I got the job and did ladies' alterations for 4 years. Learned a bunch!
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 PM

Years ago -- had to take Home Ec all four years of high school. I guess it served me well as I ended up winning the Betty Crocker Homemaker award. LOL

Quilting is MUCH MORE fun than sewing clothing!
    Old 08-29-2011, 06:46 PM

Out of financial necessity my mother always sewed all of our clothes and also home dec. Although I learned to knit and crochet by age 8, I was never interested in sewing. I had to take home ec in 8th grade. All the rest of the girls made a gathered skirt but because I was fat the teacher had me make an apron. The humiliation turned me off of anything domestic for years. It shocked all my friends and family when I won the "homemaker of tomorrow" award sponsered by Betty Crocker. The three years I was in nursing school I lived in uniforms or my quilted bathrobe. I was so poor upon graduation and had to buy a car. I had just met my now husband, dating 4 times a week and no money for clothes. I took a few sewing classes at the Jr. College and was hooked. I made all my little girl's clothes, prom and bridesmaid's dresses as well as my uniforms. About 8 years ago I took a quilting class in adult ed so garment sewing and home dec have been on the back burner ever since.