Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >
  • Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

• Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 PM

I began "sewing" at age 4...made my first pillow out of 2 white washcloths with an appliqued a chair with a cat on it, a little round table/tablecloth with a lamp, and then put yarn fringe all around it...lol...my 87 yr young Mom still has it...it's been used as a "sick" pillow for all of the grandkids...it's just not as fluffy as it was then...I am 61 yrs young now...(smile) Naomi :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
    I was forced to take home ec in junior high since girls were not allowed to take auto shop which is what I wanted to take. I already knew how to cook and sew. I taught myself to sew years before. I hated that class because I knew shortcuts and easier ways of doing things that got me in trouble.
    I know what you mean...in kindedrgarten the girls were forced to play in the kitchen with the stove, fridge, and the dreaded iron/ironing board...my Dad had his own construction company, so naturally I wanted to play with the trucks that were in the table with sand...great that the girls now have more choices...Naomi
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 PM

I learned how to sew in Home Ec class in the 6th grade. I made a jumper outfit and a pillow shaped as a hamburger with applique lettuce, pickles and sesame seeds. I also learned how to type on a real typewriter!
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:09 PM

My mother was an excellent seamstress who made almost all the clothes for my two sisters and myself. She started teaching me when I was 9, then I sewed in 4-H for the next 10 years. Girls were required to take home ec in 7th grade--one semester of cooking and one of sewing. By that time I was making all of my clothes. I made my wedding gown and the three bridesmaid's dresses, and sewed as much as possible for my two sons and my house--draperies, pillows, etc. I always wanted to learn to quilt and when I retired in 2002 I took a beginning quilting class. Nine years later I don't make any clothes, do very little mending, but have made dozens of quilts.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:10 PM

I learned to sew at my foster mother's "knee" at about 8 years old so I knew the basics....took home ec in high school and learned the "proper" techniques, but it all worked ! I made several things in home ec but it was never a chore. Also loved cooking in home ec...I still can remember the smell of the kitchen we had then.....

Made my clothes through high school, including my wedding dress. Made my husband pants/vests. Then I started sewing for my children as they came along including winter coats, bathing suits, costumes for school, etc.

Just started quilting earlier this year. Had a heart attack and stroke last fall and need something to do with my hands and mind to help me recover in a lot of areas. Have completed 3 quilt tops and have plans for more. I get somewhat discouraged when I look at my paltry tops and then see the exquisite quilts I see on the board...maybe I'll be there someday !
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:11 PM

I also learned to sew in Home Economics in high school many years ago. That is also where I learned to knit and crochet. I wonder if they even teach that anymore in the high schools. Too bad if they don't.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 PM

Nope. When I was 6 I got an electric kid sized Singer for Christmas (still have it). My dad taught we how to sew on it and I cranked out Barbie and Troll doll clothes. It is funny he taught me because my mom is the one that sews!

By the time I was in 7th grade I had already sewn professionally for some ladies. The teacher in Home Ec. made me go around and teach the other girls how to put in a zipper. Didn't make me very popular with the girls!
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:26 PM

Sure I took home ec and sewed. Teacher accused me of having my Mother do my sewing. I put 5 patterns together and made a beautiful dress. I made a gathered skirt and matched the plaids at age 9. Grandma and Mother were both perfectionists. I think I did more seam ripping than sewing. I had to sketch clothes we saw when we went window shopping, go home, browse the patterns and use what we had to make what I wanted.
    When I married I sewed a couple of things and DH said he would buy my clothes. I am close to 5'11" so it wasn't so easy to find things to fit. He soon learned and he took me to tall clothing stores. When I retired 12-31-04 I began to quilt. So had over 30 years of no sewing. It is my passion and I am sew delighted to have a sewing room just recently. Still fixing it up.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:27 PM

Home EC was required when I went to school. Didn't learn a thing in that class. I was already making most of my own clothing before the 7th grade, and could prepare a meal for 12 people (our family) without help. I wanted to take shop but girls were not allowed.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:28 PM

No, never took Home Ec - although it was available - I took shop class - I taught myself to sew about 1 1/2 yrs ago and have been going strong since.