Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am appaled!........or am I just cheap? >

I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

Old 06-20-2010, 03:31 PM

I have bought from Walmart but found the quality isn't what I am after. Their more expensive few choices are OK. Joann's has some good but mostly aren't my quality either except for the muslin, and the bit higher priced ones they offer. Seems you get what you pay for. I also shop fabric.com a lot and get their sale items which are good quality if you just choose the good brands. I like it coming to my door too. The little quilt shop down the street has very good fabric and I go there quite a bit, but it gets a bit spendy if I bought it all from them.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:31 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by adrianlee
Not cheap, just on the ferge of shock of pricing. It's the same here where I live. Higher prices across the board. Recently our state's governor wants to tax: water, soda pop and candy. Now this is a tax on top of the sales tax. Yesterday the news reported that the governor had a big table top resurfaced to the tune of $10,000. Sure lots of previous governors used it, but hey everyone is having to make do, so should the state's VIPs.
New York State also was proposing a tax on soda pop. (It did not become reality.) I'm wondering if your state is giving the same reason ours did. It was to make soda pop so expensive that people would drink less of it, and we would be less obese, therefore with fewer health problems, and so would cost the state less in medical care.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:41 PM

I have a large stash and less cash, so I too often shop my stash first. My favorite quilt shop closed last Summer, so I buy a lot less; the own was my friend too. I used to spend a good part of 2-3 days a week sewing in her classroom when the store wasn't busy.
The last time I went to one of the local shops I was shocked at how much prices for yardage have gone up!
Sharon W.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

I looked on many fabric manufacturers websites and most are printed in China, India, and Pakistan. Some didn't list where the fabric is printed. What fabric manufacture is out of Japan and Korea, which was posted as being better quality? I found one shop that sold fabrics printed in Japan and they are $16.95 a yard. Beautiful but very expensive.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:45 PM

I work in the Husqvarna Viking gallery inside a Joann's super store and I'm finding that a lot of Joann's merchandise is more expensive than other places, it seems that I'm not saving much when they have a sale.
I bought some Kona cotton at Joann's and after washing the fabric it was really apparent that the thread count was less than I'm used to; it also wasn't as soft.
Sharon W.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:55 PM

Hi Nonna Judi, I know what you mean, I'm from Australia and US$10 is about AU$11.50 at the moment. Our chain store fabrics are generally AU$12 plus and the quality of these can be questionable, can look good but not always a lot of substance, often don't pass the 'scrunch' test. Good fabrics from craft stores usually start at around $25 (on a good day) and some are up at $35+. Then I discovered quiltshops.com - now I've run out of room - LOL! ozecb
Old 06-20-2010, 03:57 PM

Yes was just in a quilts shop in Ann Arbor and it was 10.50, I didn't buy any fabric. My B-day is the first week in July and they give 30% on your B-day so maybe go back then!
Old 06-20-2010, 03:57 PM

Me too peyton. ozecb
Old 06-20-2010, 04:15 PM

I do love the better fabrics and enjoy shopping in the LQS. However in this area I have had rather bad experiences with some of the shop owners who have been rude and arrogrant. The first class I took at the nearby LQS when I finally had time to begin quilting was a very unpleasant experience. My Paff machine was several years old at the time, but worked great and was not a cheap machine. However this was not good enough for the instructor. Even when I went back to shop for fabrics, I always felt insulted before I left the store. Then there is the LQS owner who stated how much she hated Wal-Mart every time she had an opportunity. Yes there are some very great high end fabrics that make some beautiful quilts and will last for years and years and I do enjoy having the ability to purchase them, but there is a time and place for using less expensive fabrics and the shop owners in this area need to focus more on customer service and drop their rude, arrogrant attitude toward customers who may need to be very careful with their money. Like many people in the US, I have quilts made from feed sacks that were made by my grandmother and I would not trade them for a quilt show blue ribbon quilt. Just recently a new fabric shop opened near us. They have very nice fabrics and when I was making my purchases, small as they were that day, the customer service was teriffic. I will buy more fabrics here.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Coupons do not work like they use to. Took my 50% off coupon to Joann's and was unable to use it on the fabric I was planning to buy. It was $2.00 off. I left Joann's without buying anything.
I've done it before and I'll do it again.