Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am appaled!........or am I just cheap? >

I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

Old 06-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

No your not crazy or cheap just having a rude awakening of everything going up except your income. Everything is changing during this economy and I don't think anything will ever be as it was before. I try to stay out of LQS because I have been out of work for almost 15 months now and my husbands small leased take out sub and salad shop's income is down between 40 and 50% for the past 2 years. Yikes!!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 02:23 PM

I don't think we (Americans) can even comprehend buying gas for that amount!!!

Originally Posted by daisylil
I am sad about the prices too as i said before , but then our gas is about 12 doll a gallon (uk) so we have a double problem
Old 06-20-2010, 02:25 PM

Like I said before, I shop sales and if I do go online, I look for either free shipping or really great prices (3-4.50/yd) once you add the dollar or so a yard to ship it is 4-6 a yard, which isn't too bad.

Originally Posted by fmd36
I have just joined this group. I am also finding fabric running very high. Am doing all that others have suggested. BUT someone said something about purchasing from retailers on this group? Can someone clarify and lead me through the process. I am looking at fabric to make aprons and most of what I want are novelty fabrics that are starting at over $9.00/yd, Any suggestions will be welcomed. fmd36 in NH
Old 06-20-2010, 02:52 PM

I don't think you are cheap. I do the yard sale thing and IF I find something I really like I purchase it. Of course you do have to really watch what you get and how it was stored before they sold it. I do not have a JoAnns close but we do have a Hancocks and I do use coupons and sale items. We still have a Walmart that has fabric and yes I do but from them often. We also have Sirs in Fayetteville, Tn that has some nice fabric. But I believe they purchase seconds as you have to look it over real good for greasy areas. Either "seconds" or "end of run" fabrics.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Even Wallly World has gone up .50 or more.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Irishlady
I think we may soon have more to worry about than the rising cost of fabric.
The "1 pound stuff" is just the tip of the iceberg.
Besides "no brand" , they also manufacture first quality stuff under contract with brands. Original leather bags, overcoats, shades, hair brushes, tableware - you name it - can be found in top quality fashion magazines throughout Europe or America. Not to mention business that settle production units in Asia due to low costs there.

Lots to think about ...
Old 06-20-2010, 03:17 PM

We have been paying these prices in Australia for long enough. Spotlight are cheaper but the fabrics are often made in the far east and not as good quality. It depends on what you are making. A quilt that you hope to be an heirloom needs top quality fabric. Why put so much time and effort, and love, into something not made with good quality fabrics. On the other hand, Spotlight's fabrics are suitable for things like bags, dolls, runners. We have a couple of shops selling end of line and discontinued lines and on a good day you can find what you need for a third of the price. My hobbies are my only vices so I'll keep on feeding my addictions as long as possible, even on a fixed income.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:20 PM

My LQS has sales where all fabric is $6.99 - even batiks. I also buy a lot on line. There are still great deals to be had. Maybe the fabric is last years, but it is still top quality. I never buy from JoAnns or Walmart.
Judi in Ohio
Old 06-20-2010, 03:24 PM

I'm with you I have to wait until its on sale as we are on a fixed income also.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:25 PM

Not cheap, just on the ferge of shock of pricing. It's the same here where I live. Higher prices across the board. Recently our state's governor wants to tax: water, soda pop and candy. Now this is a tax on top of the sales tax. Yesterday the news reported that the governor had a big table top resurfaced to the tune of $10,000. Sure lots of previous governors used it, but hey everyone is having to make do, so should the state's VIPs.