Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am appaled!........or am I just cheap? >

I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:34 AM

I think we should all shop where we can afford. But if you can afford to shop at the LQS and you like to, then you should make an effort to do so or they will be gone. I know I do.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 AM
QKO

Originally Posted by sulyle
After my LQS owner got back from quilt market she told me all the new fabric she ordered would be about $1 more than what she currently had. That's about a 10% jump. Quite a bit all at once but then what isn't going up in price?
Sticker shock is being experienced at all levels in the supply chain. I couldn't believe it when our suppliers told us how much the price increases would be on all our new fabrics. :cry:
Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Since the start of June I noticed that fabric prices have gone up here also.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:39 AM

I have notice this at walmart in kona hawaii i come here every 4 months and the prices has gone sky high although taxes is only 5 percent and calif is almost 9 . Let's not buy for a while and see what happens Like the price of gasoline.This is a good chance get rid of the old stock we have sitting around.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:04 AM

The word is thrifty - not cheap. I too am appalled. Just makes me look harder for the sales, I guess. And know when to say no.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:11 AM

And what about Joann going from fat quarters @ $1.29 to $1.99 in the blink of an eye! Just stocked up (more, more, more!!) while they were on sale @$.99. Wait until you need it - or a little longer.... I'm glad I have my stash.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:13 AM

My personal opinion is that the LQS owners are laughing their behinds off because good old Wal-M has eliminated fabrics from their stores and now that the "competition" (not that Wal-M competed with really top quality fabrics) has been taken away, they are "jacking" up their prices. Most of the $9.?? yd fabrics at our JoAnns is no better than the $4.44 fabrics that Wal-M had been carrying. So far our Hobby Lobby stores seem to have decent fabrics around $6.00 per yd. It seems strange that in a time when the economy is suffering, that soooooo many prices are increasing at such an alarming rate. Several months back I asked the lady who was cutting my hair if business was down. Her reply was that same customers were coming in, just not as often. Then when I was ready to pay, the price was $10.00 more than the previous time. I am now one of the ones who does not visit the hair cut places as often.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:34 AM

We have two stores in our 60 mile radius that have such high prices that we won't shop there. One is in Stanwood and one at Smokey Point in WA state. Their yardage is over $12!! And their sales don't even put the prices down to a decent level. I don't know how they stay in business.

When business goes down it's either their prices, their selection or their service. Lately probably prices. Thankfully we still have many shops in the area that have been able to keep their prices under $9. I shop sales and I shop my stash. I know for a fact that the shops are really feeling the pinch.

On one hand, we need to support them but on the other hand I cannot afford to invest my meager income in more fabric. I am trying to 'shop my stash' which is substantial, and when I absolutely HAVE to pay full price, its something that is really special, either a focus fabric or a blender that will work in many projects. Luckily I have a huge stash.

I love to go into quilt shops, but find myself buying what I really don't need, so lately I have just not gone into the shops much - only once a week now, rather than 2-3 times a week! :)

BTW - I do not shop JoAnns or Walmart for quilt fabric. I like good quality fabric for my quilts.

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
One word "Coupons". Thank goodness for Joann's coupons. So far the price hike hasn't hit the Denver area. If I am going to have to spend that kind of money on fabric I may as well buy from the retailers on this site. I think the Admin may be working on a list so that we can support our board members. I already get most of my material at garage sales and thrift shops but I always need supporting fabric and backing and need to save money on those. We quilters will always find a way to quilt.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:36 AM
QKO

Originally Posted by nana2
My personal opinion is that the LQS owners are laughing their behinds off because good old Wal-M has eliminated fabrics from their stores and now that the "competition" (not that Wal-M competed with really top quality fabrics) has been taken away, they are "jacking" up their prices. Most of the $9.?? yd fabrics at our JoAnns is no better than the $4.44 fabrics that Wal-M had been carrying.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, that's for sure...

But I don't know anyone who's laughing their behinds off at the price increases we've been handed and are forced to pass on to our customers...

As far as Wal-Mart is concerned, elimination of their fabric departments didn't affect shops that carry high-end fabrics that much, because the customer base is different. If you're satisfied with the quality at Joann's and Wal-mart, you're not likely to be buying much at places that carry high-end fabric.

You're right about the big chains like Joann and Wal-M, they both carry the same quality fabrics, so why pay higher prices at one when you can get the same stuff at the other?

The highest quality stuff, however, is ONLY distributed to independent quilt shops and independent online stores by many manufacturers/distributors. And higher quality means higher prices.

It's a little like shopping for a car. If you are satisfied with a cheaper, lower-quality car, you go to where they sell those, and you pay less. But if you want and can afford a high-quality luxury car, you go to where they sell those, and pay more.

But you probably don't go to a Lexus dealer and expect them to sell you a new car for the price of an Hyundai Accent.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:46 AM

I don't think the quilt shop owners are laughing at WalMart closing their fabric lines. They might be relieved, but let's give them more credit for being good honest people trying to run a very difficult business that is getting more and more difficult.
Originally Posted by QKO
Originally Posted by nana2
My personal opinion is that the LQS owners are laughing their behinds off because good old Wal-M has eliminated fabrics from their stores and now that the "competition" (not that Wal-M competed with really top quality fabrics) has been taken away, they are "jacking" up their prices. Most of the $9.?? yd fabrics at our JoAnns is no better than the $4.44 fabrics that Wal-M had been carrying.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, that's for sure...

But I don't know anyone who's laughing their behinds off at the price increases we've been handed and are forced to pass on to our customers...

As far as Wal-Mart is concerned, elimination of their fabric departments didn't affect shops that carry high-end fabrics that much, because the customer base is different. If you're satisfied with the quality at Joann's and Wal-mart, you're not likely to be buying much at places that carry high-end fabric.

You're right about the big chains like Joann and Wal-M, they both carry the same quality fabrics, so why pay higher prices at one when you can get the same stuff at the other?

The highest quality stuff, however, is ONLY distributed to independent quilt shops and independent online stores by many manufacturers/distributors. And higher quality means higher prices.

It's a little like shopping for a car. If you are satisfied with a cheaper, lower-quality car, you go to where they sell those, and you pay less. But if you want and can afford a high-quality luxury car, you go to where they sell those, and pay more.

But you probably don't go to a Lexus dealer and expect them to sell you a new car for the price of an Hyundai Accent.