Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-07-2010, 03:46 PM

I think that if you are a continuing customer, take classes, purchase fabric from the store they will answer a quick question to help you solve a problem. But the key is taking a beginning class even though you have been "at work" quilting for some time. You develop a relationship over time. Stores do want to build customers.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 PM

Have these people never heard of Ricky Timms or Kaffe Fasset??I have taken a couple of classes with Ricky Timms when he visited the UK he is absolutely fantastic!! He does several Tutorials on You tube!!!! Welcome to the board!! We will treat you with respect and encourage your work!! Stick with us and you will be fine!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:09 PM

I think you've been speaking to the wrong people - some of the groups I wanted to join were the same about me (and I'm female). After looking around, I belong to 3 different groups - they all have happily included males in the groups and I feel comfortable there as well. I think you just have to keep looking for a good spot. I have found that when people don't want to give you advice it is usually because they don't know how or they want to be superior. Either way, just move on, and I hope you don't have to search for too long.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:17 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
thank you

I need to have a sit down side by side with people... I was injured several years ago. the meds I am forced to take (due to injury) have interfered with my ability to take written directions and make sense of them. sigh and to think I was a very smart man before my injury

Chris
Sweetie, you are STILL a very smart man. You just need to be shown now, and there is nothing wrong with that. What IS wrong, is people not being willing to help you. :-(
Old 12-07-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by renee765
Hi, Chris

I'm glad to know that you are quilter. My husband (now passed) used to do a lot of needlepoint work. I have his works all over the house. It was neat to see him at work. In the later years, when he went to dialysis three times a week, he used to take his needlepoint with him. I would love to see the looks on others faces as they watched him with his needle. I always wanted to ask them 'where was it written that only females do needlework'? So, from my perspective, I'm very glad to have you among the quilters of the world.

As for the LQS, there is one here in town that when I have been there, I've been treated just as you describe, even though I am a typical-looking female quilter. Perhaps it's just that the particular LQS has really bad customer service and it doesn't matter if your male or female.

Revel in your skills, and don't let boorish clerks dampen your spirits. I appreciate having you on this board.
Yes, too much job - stereotyping going on even in this century. One of my friends is a wonderful knitter and everyone assumes his wife knitted them - and another is an electrical engineer and for some reason, everyone expects her to be a bloke. We have a long way to go...
Old 12-07-2010, 04:45 PM

Hey, Chris, welcome to this neat quilting board.
Me, I love power tools and last year put in a window seat in my
front room. This year I'm making quilts for my kids and family.

Get to work and try out different styles of patterns and ask, ask,
ask questions here on this board. Here we have talent from all over the world, and you will get some high powered advice from really expert quilters that those crummy little shops would roll over with delight to have talking to THEM!!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:46 PM

I don't understand why this happens to you and I sorry to hear that. Our quilt guild has one male quilt and we glad to have him in our group. We do call him our token male quilter and he is a joy to have around. Him and his wife come our Christmas party every year. Wish you lived closer we would love to have you in our quilt guild and help with any thing.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 PM

Hi Chris

Sorry you are having so much trouble being respected in your local quilt store, it seems some people just don't get it. Before mt husband died, he was a much better sewer than I was, We had what I called an equal opportunity household he put zippers in our uniform shirts and sewed on the patches. He always pressed our uniforms because he got sharper pleats. I on the other hand always spit shined our shoes. I tought him to crochet, he made a beautiful afghan for me that I cherish to this day.
On the other hand in the early 80's I drove truck coast to coast, I hardly ever had my cb on because the men were always mad talking about how I was taking money out of some mans pocket that neede the job to support his family
If I happened to pass them some were very volgur in their talk about me. One time I told a dock worker that was ignoring me "Oh gees I better go back to my truck and take my second head off I see you are frightened by me so I must of wore both my heads in' I left and came back in about 5 minutes and finally got treated right. On another job I was the onlt women so at all staff meetings I was expected to do the women things like make coffee make sure cream sugar and ect was all out. well I got tired of that so one day when someone asked me aren't you making coffee I replied no thanks I won't be drinking any coffee today help yourselves. Discrimanation goes on and on and will never stop
Old 12-07-2010, 04:55 PM

Oh Chris sorry that this is happening to you!

In my area of So California, men are treated wonderfully, the quilt guilds love to have men join. We've had a few who were guest speakers and their quilting is outstanding. Including Don Beld, who loves to make civil war reproduction quilts and he hand quilts!
http://www.citrusbeltquilters.org/hotb/homebrave.html

There are so many renown men quilters throughout the US, and one day YOU may be among them!

Hang in there, do some online searches, maybe find a welcoming quilt guild in your area.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 12-07-2010, 04:55 PM

I am so sorry you were treated this way! It's disgusting, there should be no discriminating, on any basis. But, we do not live in a perfect world. I would never go to that LQS again. That's how I pay them back, I have one LQS here that just recently changed hands,but before that I stopped going there, because any help I asked for she acted like it was too much trouble. I stopped going there after the third time I went in there. It upset me so much I opted to make a 120 mile round trip to get my fabrics and notions.

Like it has been stated, just ask your questions here and we'll help you all we can. There are some really talented people, and they are so kind.