Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting?  Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy! >

What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 AM

Ok that clip board is 5 kinds of awesome.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 AM

I see a run on those clipboards in the near future!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:16 AM

I have used large, heavy duty binder clips, alligator clip type, to hold together thick interfaced, multilayer seams that are too thick to pin, like on purses or tote bags. I just remove each clip as I get to it as I am sewing.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:37 AM

I use potato chip bag closer or well made hairclips from the dollar store. I hand sew and can roll up my quilt or material and take it with me.If I machine it keeps things tight and rolled up.
I use hat boxes and large material cover boxes stacked in corner for my stash and tools. Boxes are done by seasons or color inside. No one can tell how much there is.It stays clean dirt free and away from light.
I use a tool box and a rolling tool cart for my travel kits.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingrandmafromMi
A small magnet attached to my sewing machine, where I put my seam ripper, then it's always where I can find it!
Be careful .. according to my sewing machine manufacturer do not put magnets on or near electronic sewing machines!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:24 PM

[quote=craftybear]What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=2574

Thin cutting boards so I can use them as templates
baskets to keep things somewhat organized
carabiner to keep my rulers together

I am sure that I have many more, I have to go take a look! lol

TreeFrog
Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 PM

Tweezers to pull out loose threads after ripping.
A dental mirror to help look up the shaft where my needle goes, helps me change needles when I can't find the hole.
lint roller for picing up pieces of cut chain patches off my ironing board cover.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:27 PM

Index cards, cut a swatch of fabric (from everything that comes into my sewing room) glue on index card and mark how much or piece size, who made it, name, etc, if available from selvage and where purchased. This way when I start a project I just flip thru my index cards and see if I have something that will work.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Oh this is a good question.

I use my Cricut Expression, my Big Kick and Big Shot Pro for cutting fabric for applique to be used in quilting.

I use alcohol and fabric inks to paint or color on fabric. I also use stamp pads.

I use a felting machine or hand felting tools to create projects to be used in quilting along with wool fibers and other things like threads, etc in the project.

I also use a wide format printer to enlarge templates for applique projects or to print a project on fabric to use in painting it or coloring it.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:42 PM

I use a hanging shoe organizer with lots of pockets to store all my scissors, rotary cutters, small rulers in. I have it hanging right by my cutting table. I also use hooks to hang all my rulers on, embroidery hoops etc.

FREE Quilting Newsletter