Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who does sewing other than quilting? >

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Old 10-28-2011, 04:08 PM

I started sewing my own cloths when i was in high school,I was 5ft. 9 and couldn't find cloths with sleeves long enough and pants were too short,so I developed a love of sewing and I have done about every kind of sewing.
when I retired I statred helping at the county quilt show and started quilting, I got so involved one evening I forgot to fix the evening meal, I guess my DH understool because he is my biggest supporter

d.swindle
Old 10-28-2011, 04:20 PM

I used to make clothes but no more. It is much cheaper to buy them now that fabric and patterns are so expensive. I make pillowcases and bags sometimes but mostly just quilts.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:01 PM

I've sewn clothes for my family and now my granddaughter. I do cross stitch and crochet as well as quilt.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:05 PM

I have been sewing for 63 years. As a teen ager, I made all of my clothes and garments for my mother, sister, and father. I majored in Home Ec. in college and later made everything from prom dresses, suits for my husband, lingerie, swimsuits, and home dec items such as draperies and slipcovers. When my granddaughter was born, I learned to smock and that was my passion until she grew too old for most smocked dresses. Now about all the sewing I do is garments for her American Girl dolls and quilting. Quilting has become my passion in the past year although I still make my granddaughter some garments. I am teachiing my granddaughter to make pillow cases and mug rugs to give as Christmas presents. Soon she'll be making her own clothes and I'll do nothing but quilt.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:07 PM

I've been sewing since age 9, now 61. Pretty much anything that can go under a needle, hand or machine, is satisfying.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:07 PM

I never had anyone in either family that quilted, so I never thought about it until one day a quaint little quilt shop beckoned me inside. Love, love, love
However, having said that, I started making quilts, but never finished anything until one day it dawned on me that I didn't have to make a quilt all the time, that there were other things out there that could be made in an hour or a day. Since then I've never been the same. The only problem is that work gets in the way. I work from my home and have deadlines to meet, so when I can take a 15 minute break, I try to do something, even if it's only 15 minutes a day.

Years ago I used to make my own clothes and sewed clothing for my children. I guess those days are gone, however, I've seen some pretty neat simple dresses out there. Hmmm ponder that one.

Originally Posted by sewbeadit
I have been wondering if most people that quilt also do other types of sewing as well? I do a lot of different types of sewing as well as quilting and enjoy it all.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:13 PM

I only wish I knew how to sew clothes! I've sewn a few cloth dolls and their accessories, done a bit of simple clothing repair and hemming, made one set of curtains and two ipod cases.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:19 PM

I do alot of sewing because I have my own business I do alot of alterations,bridesmaid dresses,wedding dresses, curtains,and everything in between.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Laughing! I can sew. Made my own wedding dress, lots of stuff, but now I prefer to quilt. Had a new plan but tonight- a Halloween costume is needed. I do not want to spend $100 & this is so-o last minute. Bought a cheap black dress for 23 year old DD for $20 , cut, slashed, tucked. Will be hand sewing feathers for a few hours to make a Raven costume for an End of the World Party. Not my thing, back to Sunbonnet Sue tomorrow!Photo maybe !Dotty
Old 10-28-2011, 05:29 PM

From time to time, I will decide to make a dress, pants, or jacket, but mostly I prefer quilting.