Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who does sewing other than quilting? >

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Old 10-28-2011, 06:00 PM

I started sewing when I was a kid and have been sewing for about 30 years. I enjoy making almost anything (except draperies) and got interested in quilting about 6 years ago when I started moonlighting at a fabric store to make extra cash.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:01 PM

I do --- clothes, costumes, curtains, purses/bags. Just not enough time! ;-)
Old 10-28-2011, 06:07 PM

I gave up anything non-quilting as quilting is so much more fun!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:17 PM

While reading thru the other posts, it made me realize all of the 'other' sewing that I have done and still do, besides quilting. I just finished curtains and chair pads for a rocking chair for my new grandson's room, I have made dust ruffles and other home dec, craft items, bags, my own clothing, mending, lots of baby clothes when my 3 boys were young. I did alterations for a clothing store for a few years - men's and women's clothing. My own wedding dress, a veil for my DIL. Halloween costumes thru out my children's childhoods, I don't think they ever had a 'store bought' costume - making costumes hasn't ended, my 24 year old son still gets me involved in making costumes for him, although now it is more about altering and modifying ready made clothes into costumes. My mom thinks it is hilarious that I sew at all...I HATED sewing when I was a teen, or rather I hated the sewing machine that she had, now in hindsight, I am sure that it was operator error, things like the bobbin in backwards, dull needle, machine threaded inproperly, but I just didn't know any better! I got a good sewing machine in 1977(Bernina), learned how to use it and I haven't stopped since!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 PM

I started out sewing my own clothes, in my teens. Not out of necessity but just because I was really into the challenge. That morphed into designing my baby daughter's outfits and then into every kind of household decor you can imagine. Then I took a hiatus and did needlework of all kinds and Barbie doll clothes. Now I'm back and want to do it all. However, working full time hinders my creative soul. But, the good Lord willing I will find the time to enjoy sewing again, and get my house work done too!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:42 PM

Had to sew could not afford store bought clothes. It wasn't a hardship because I still love to sew. Don't sew clothes much anymore now that the kids have grown and let home.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:56 PM

Started sewing when I was 6. Started quilting because even then I couldn't stand to throw the scraps away!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 PM

I have a friend who likes to sew. She designs her own clothes and sews. Unfortunately, the sewing guilds here have very little if any classes or sewing groups that help each other out. She is really bummed out about it.

That is my story.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:19 PM

Me. I sew pants, boxers, jackets, dresses, skirts, etc for me and my family. I'm no expert, but if you give me a pattern, i know how to follow instructions.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:21 PM

I have sewn other things a lot longer than I have quilted, however, I feel that quilting provides a much greater opportunity for creativity, especially if one loves fabric.