Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 12-31-2009, 04:38 PM

Piney River Quilter, This is awesome. Thank you for showing me how to do my fabrics. I might purchase a book case, they are on sale in Staples this week. Your arrangement looks wonderful. Even a bookcase can fit inside a closet in my rrom to give the open feel and look to my sewing studio.

Ellis' Granny B
Old 12-31-2009, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by weezie
I was running "my mouth" earlier in this thread about my awesome organizational skills (yes, I am now making fun of myself!). Watterstide wisely suggests we share tips, so I have one here to share.

My "problem" may not be your problem, so this info. may not be useful, but here goes: I get overwhelmed by huge quantities of anything, notably of fabrics and the vast array of different colors and shades and values and what fabrics go really well together, etc., so when I go fabric shopping, sometimes I think my eyes will start spinning around in my head just like the googly eyes on a toy. (Does this help explain my clutter phobia?)

Your photos show me that many of you have fabulously neat rows of fabrics, by color, in drawers or on shelves, but I cannot do that; I have to divide and conquer. On one deep shelf (out of the way behind other things) I have all my really ugly fabrics. When I need something to practice on, for example, I know exactly where to look. On 2 other shelves, I have bolts or partial bolts of coordinating fabrics; on another are smaller pieces of fabric, also more or less coordinated and on another, yardage that I'll probably use for quilt backs. In a huge plastic box, I keep small pieces for future applique. When I use the term, "coordinating fabrics" it means I store by fabrics that complement one another rather than by color chart; I do those match-ups on the day that I bring the fabric home from the store. More often than not, I already know when I buy a fabric exactly what other fabric(s) I want it go with.

If you are overwhelmed by your fabric stash, as in where and how to store, you might want to consider my 'divide and conquer' method. It can also cut down on "mess" when you get to digging around for "a fabulous quilt idea" fabrics ... it allows you to "home in" on a specific area ... or at least one area at a time.

Has this long "tip" made any sense at all? If I can be of help to just one person, I'm happy!
GIGGLE, GIGGLE, LOL...weezie!
All of my fabrics are stored together, by project.
I tried storing by color in different bins, several years ago, and kept digging and digging in a lot of bins.
I learned that shelves take up less space, and if i buy a fabric with a certain project bundle in mind, I am not as likely to buy as many pieces for that same project.
Many times I take pieces to the quilt store with me to match/coordinate, etc.
You describe your issues with clutter, same as mine. It's a visual thing.
I actually get dizzy in fabric stores sometimes, bc there are so many shelves and shelves of fabrics. I have learned not to turn my head so much, and not to feel them all. It must be the dyes or something on the new fabrics,...my eyes get blurry, teary, sometimes my nose runs, and my head can even start hurting.
I do better with pieces for matching and focus on those fabrics and stop drooling over the whole store. It's hard, but I'm getting better!
I had to...no more room!:shock:
Old 12-31-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
i'm almost afraid to ask cuz i don't want anyone to think bad of me, but if while cleaning your rooms and you wanna thin out your stash can you please send my way? I so enjoy making scrappy quilts and the more variety of fabrics i have, the more i love ithis pon. I just can't buy fabrics anymore. But PLEASE do not think bad of me for asking. its embarrassing enough. :oops:
I don't think bad of you! Could be cause I am in the same boat though lol! I agree if ya'll want to thin your stash I'd be more than happy to help! I've built up a little bit since I started quilting but am on a buying hiatus indefinitely at this point.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:43 PM

shaverg-
love your space. It doesn't look messy to me. How do you like your PVC frame? I have one but haven't used it yet.
lots2do
Old 12-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lots2do
shaverg-
love your space. It doesn't look messy to me. How do you like your PVC frame? I have one but haven't used it yet.
lots2do
don't want to make anybody feel bad about being clean...but...giggle...some of you don't know what a mess is.
I am organized bc I do know how to make a mess.
shaverg...that room is not what I call messy. uh-uh...but if you feel it needs more help, then I say you know what you can live with.
We all do,...and we don't need hubbies or family dictating to us, what that is! right people?:wink:
Old 12-31-2009, 04:56 PM

I love my PC quilt frame. I got the extenders for the legs so it sits on a slant which is reall nice.
Originally Posted by lots2do
shaverg-
lots2do
Old 12-31-2009, 04:57 PM

My space may not look messy to some but it is small so a little messy goes a long way. LOL.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:20 PM
Banned

First few pics of my sewing room - I'm a newbie to quilting so stash is not a lot yet. Dresser was made by my Dad in 1969 and has several drawers plus a 'writing' drawer.

View from door
[ATTACH=CONFIG]60893[/ATTACH]

Looking right
[ATTACH=CONFIG]60894[/ATTACH]

Right again
[ATTACH=CONFIG]60895[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-60893.jpe   attachment-60894.jpe   attachment-60895.jpe  
Old 12-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Banned

More pics of room
Attached Thumbnails attachment-60896.jpe   attachment-60897.jpe   attachment-60898.jpe  
Old 12-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

Ironing board on closet door at moment, though usually set up and in use. Thought you'd like to see where I have the wall hanging my DD made me.
Room seems neat, but would like it more organized.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-60997.jpe   attachment-60998.jpe