Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Bev

I have a sewing table which is my dinner table. Having a sewing room would be like winning the lotto! not having to put my machine up, pack up fabric, works in progress every single day.. that would be fantasy island.

Believe me, I can empathize. That's all I had for many years! I know how it feels. When my kids all grew up and left the nest I finally had a room of my own to use as I pleased. You know what I used it for! Now that my DH is retiring (this year), we'll be selling this house and buying a much smaller one. Who knows what I'll have then. So, I'm enjoying my quilting room while I have it, and I'm sure I'll shed a few tears when I lose it.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by Bev
I have a sewing table which is my dinner table. Having a sewing room would be like winning the lotto! not having to put my machine up, pack up fabric, works in progress every single day.. that would be fantasy island.

Believe me, I can empathize. That's all I had for many years! I know how it feels. When my kids all grew up and left the nest I finally had a room of my own to use as I pleased. You know what I used it for! Now that my DH is retiring (this year), we'll be selling this house and buying a much smaller one. Who knows what I'll have then. So, I'm enjoying my quilting room while I have it, and I'm sure I'll shed a few tears when I lose it.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Bev

[
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM

Okay, yesterday I went thhrough 2 small totes of patterns. I didnt realize I had so many cute things that I could make for gifts! Being an antique collector and dealer, I have amassed a nice collection of vintage patterns. Now on to a couple smaller totes of fabric. Still not able to lift those big totes (had surgery 3 weeks ago) and I dare not ask DH for help, lest he realize how much I really have. LOL! You girls are great inspiration! Now my dilema is this... I have lots of furniture that I could repurpose into useful sewing room pieces and I am wondering if anyone has made a pressing "station" out of a lower height chest of drawers. Or something similar. It would be great to see what anyone has made. Thanks to all for the comraderie!

And I almost forgot... I am contemplating what paint color to use. This is in a basement. Not much natural light,but DH put in lots of lights in the ceiling. I am thinking a really light green of some sort. Have any of you painted and then found it interferes with seeing fabric colors well? Any advice is appreciated!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:27 AM

Wow I am getting there! I can see the floor!! I have moved some furniture out and my treadle in. I wish I had more room as it is only 7X9 so pretty tight! But finally I see progress!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Oldswimmer, I would go with lite tones such as off white and put in track lighting so that way you will have lots of light. If you can't do the track lighting then when you need the light go outside as that light will give you the true light you will need.

Cookie
Old 01-05-2010, 10:18 AM

I painted mine a yellow..cheery to me!
I used to sew on the kitchen table too..as as soon as one kid moved out..i freecycled the bed and frame. Kept the dresser.
When the other kid moved out, i made it half bedroom,(full size bed), and nursery. I baby sit my 2 year old grandson jack. my room is kinda small..9 x 8..which is plenty big for me..using wall shelving is a big space saver..when i cut, i move the sewing table, on wheels, and move the cutting table into place, also on wheels..havine the peg board also makes use of space..
i have gotten alot of fabric folded...i am really happy about that!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Mostly done! So much better, I don't know how to do flicker so my before pics are posted on this thread. But here is after so far!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63117.jpe   attachment-63118.jpe   attachment-63119.jpe  
Old 01-05-2010, 10:52 AM

Looking good! I love the looks of that old machine on the right...what is it?
what kind of board did you use to make your own pressing surface? i made one for my friend and used a MT cardboard bolt from joanns, and stapled batting,muslin to it..she takes it with her to classes.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:04 AM

The Treadle machine is a Standard made before Singer the one on top is just the head of a Singer got it at a garage sale for $2.00. For the ironing pad I used a piece of chip board and covered it with the old pad and cover to my ironing board. It is 14 inches square. I love it and use it all the time.