Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Banned

I went into the sewing room today to organize, iron the fabrics for my next project I wanted to work on. Best laid plans of mice and men AND quilters. I was ironing a piece of fabric I've had for years and just lay it around at Christmas time for decoration with no purpose. Well, that piece is now fussy cut into squares and strips, waiting for another piece of fabric to dry so I can iron it and cut it into strips and add more for a couple of triangles and to make a winter wall hanging. MY SEWING ROOM IS A MESS AGAIN! (tears....)I'll post pics of the wall hanging next week when I get it done, or sooner if I get lucky with time.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:39 AM

Love it-looks very cozy! thanks for sharing.
dee
Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM

I have several old machines and even though I don't use them I can't bear to get rid of them for sentimental reasons. One is an old Singer that belonged to my maternal grandmother. She was a great quilter and I have lots of her guilts. The other is my Mother's, bought when I was born, and she made all our clothes, etc. and every Christmas we had a whole wardrobe for our dolls. I still have the dollclothes and dolls. Mother wasn't a quilter but could sew just about anything she wanted to. I've repurposed them as night stands in our bedroom. I love looking at them and remembering the many prettys that were made on them.

Grandma's Singer Treadle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63130[/ATTACH]

I learned to sew on Mother's Kenmore
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63131[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63125.jpe   attachment-63126.jpe  
Old 01-05-2010, 11:54 AM

I am so ashamed to tell what my sew cave looks like. I just sorta wish that DH hadn't inherited so many of his late moms things. He hasn't had the heart to go thru the many many boxes so they are all piled in my sew cave. (His opinion is that "You are never in there anyway") How wrong he is...I spend lots and lots of hours there. Just wish that I could get him to help declutter with his Mom's things. He inherited a beautiful cuckoo clock that I would love to hang in there but can't do it myself. Maybe this week when DH is off work :) I can always have hope and try to keep my space cleaned up.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by tigger5464
I am so ashamed to tell what my sew cave looks like. I just sorta wish that DH hadn't inherited so many of his late moms things. He hasn't had the heart to go thru the many many boxes so they are all piled in my sew cave. (His opinion is that "You are never in there anyway") How wrong he is...I spend lots and lots of hours there. Just wish that I could get him to help declutter with his Mom's things. He inherited a beautiful cuckoo clock that I would love to hang in there but can't do it myself. Maybe this week when DH is off work :) I can always have hope and try to keep my space cleaned up.
When I got brave enough to post the before picture. I knew I also had to have an after picture so was busy on this for the last 3 days!! It was just the motivation I needed.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
I painted mine a yellow..cheery to me!
I used to sew on the kitchen table too..as as soon as one kid moved out..i freecycled the bed and frame. Kept the dresser.
When the other kid moved out, i made it half bedroom,(full size bed), and nursery. I baby sit my 2 year old grandson jack. my room is kinda small..9 x 8..which is plenty big for me..using wall shelving is a big space saver..when i cut, i move the sewing table, on wheels, and move the cutting table into place, also on wheels..havine the peg board also makes use of space..
i have gotten alot of fabric folded...i am really happy about that!
So.... does the yellow bother you at all. I mean, does it make everything look a little more yellow? And do you have some natural light, or maybe the daylight bulbs? I think I am going to have to use the good daylight bulbs in all my overheads and task lights.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:02 PM

old swimmer..it is a pale clear yellow, and i have a large window behind my sewing desk..I also bought a "day light" that clips on my table too..i hate the over head light..single bulb,center of the room..i would love to decorate with cherries,maybe a border or something with the yellow..here is my room ..lol

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
Old 01-05-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
Wow I am getting there! I can see the floor!! I have moved some furniture out and my treadle in. I wish I had more room as it is only 7X9 so pretty tight! But finally I see progress!
FLOOR! There's supposed to be a floor in the sewing room?! Boy, do I have a lot of work to do!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Google Goddess

http://www.home-decorating-room-by-r...wing-room.html

I just found this link for us tips for organizing sewing room
Old 01-05-2010, 02:31 PM

My classroom/studio is a very pale green, I had DH paint the ceiling the same color, works great. The trim is slightly off white, cream maybe. Stays bright.