Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 01-06-2010, 03:11 PM

How is everyone coming along?!

i didn't do anything with my room today..went to quilt group..i go every wednesday...
i did find this cleaning up your sewing room challenge..the info/links are on the right side of the blog..she has lots of good ideas for not only store bought items, but home made ones too..
i thought it had some brilliant ideas..
http://thedomesticdiva.wordpress.com...g-room-design/
Old 01-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Get some of those file folders that are envelopes and put them in there with a label on the front telling the yardage and the print. Keep a small index card box with a clip of the fabric and amount in there too. It is easy to reference and you can adjust the amount of yardages (or inches) as you use it.
May as well go all the way now that you've come this far.:)
Old 01-06-2010, 04:34 PM

With all this organization, I only had to look in two places for something today (first, where I used to keep something, then found the new place). Getting there!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by watterstide
Thanks weezie! i will do that! i am getting so much accomplished..it still doesn't look like it much..but i know how much i have moved and organized..
I don't want to rain on anybody's suggestion parade, but I had some of my wow's to turn yellow in places...could have been starch, but I have read that fabrics need air.
I would be careful about keeping them in plastic, unless it's just for a short time...jmho:wink:
Old 01-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Im making slooooowwwwww progess lol but I am making some!
Hugs
April
Old 01-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cookie's Crafts
Oldswimmer, I would go with lite tones such as off white and put in track lighting so that way you will have lots of light. If you can't do the track lighting then when you need the light go outside as that light will give you the true light you will need.

Cookie
I used to buy lamps, and lamps and more lamps, trying to get enough light in my sew-cave, but a secretary suggested to me from her own experience, that something like a banker's lamp is what i needed.
A lamp that you can adjust to spotlight what you are working on. All those overhead lights were hitting me in the eyes and making it harder for me to see what was in front of me!
I don't have any of those expensive lamps that advertise "true light"...so not saying they don't do their job, but I use the light bulbs that are supposed to do the same thing.
I can't compare, but I do great with these bulbs and they do seem to last longer than the old round bulbs.
We have them all over the house now. (our house is dark without lights on).
Just a suggestion: Don't paint with any kind of a yellow.
My dining room is very cute, but I can't take any pictures in it.
Kitchen and dining room are a soft buttery yellow, with light blue and white accents, and any pics taken in their...the flash hits the yellow wall and casts a yellowish tone to the people or things.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 PM

quiltncrazy,
I am not sure what a bankers lamp looks like. Is it one of those desk lamps that has a horizontal type light, and the shade sort of swivels up and down to direct the light? I have something like that, and I do like that very much!
I was thinking of a very light green in my sewing room. I found a picture in a magazine that I really liked, and wanted to model my room after, but was worried about it casting weird color. It will be a very, very light tint.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
quiltncrazy,
I am not sure what a bankers lamp looks like. Is it one of those desk lamps that has a horizontal type light, and the shade sort of swivels up and down to direct the light? I have something like that, and I do like that very much!
I was thinking of a very light green in my sewing room. I found a picture in a magazine that I really liked, and wanted to model my room after, but was worried about it casting weird color. It will be a very, very light tint.
Yes, that is exactly the kind of light I was talking about.
If you use a satin matte type of paint, instead of anything glossy, it sounds like you should be ok.
I used a semi gloss in the dining room and the flash bounces off of it.
I used a satin matte in my living room in a creamy off white and it is great.
I like the idea of a light light green. Is it like a minty pastel green like those little pillow mints? I'm...lol...trying to get a visual. I love that color.:-D
Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 PM

A couple of years ago I painted my kitchen paneling a popcorn yellow and then sponged a really light green on top and painted the ceiling a shade lighter green yet. I then put a border of ivy leaves around the top to pull it all together. My "son from another mother" said he could "still see the green after I painted." He didn't remember that the paneling was a wood color and really dark. The walls in my sew cave are wooden and I really hate to paint or paper in there. However I do have some really large windows for natural lighting. And the floor...not really sure if I can find much of it. DH has his Mom's things packed in there from when he inherited it all. Need to gently shove him in the direction to do something with all of it to help clean my cave so I have more room to do things.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 AM

[quote=watterstide]How is everyone coming along?!

I got to work a little in my temporary storage area. Everything had to be moved because we are finishing the room in our basement that will be the sewing studio/ computer room.
I went through all the little totes and organized and folded. Then I labeled quite a few. The larger totes on the bottom have alot of larger pieces. I could only go through the top one because I am not supposed to lift (just had surgery).

But I did have a great find... I found a box full of paint stiks that I had used for stenciling in the late 80's. It was my crafty thing to do for Christmas at that time. The stiks all seemed to be okay, so I emailed the company to find out if the formula had changed or if I could use them the same as the new ones. She told me the formula was never changed and if they weren't dry they would be fine. That was great to hear... I used to love the stenciling. The white mesh totes are all craft items, and they will stay put when I move the fabric to its new home. That may be a few months down the road yet.
So... baby steps for now. But it is all good.

temporary storage area
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63834[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63829.jpe