Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 01-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Hey tinks mom..at least you got some mending done! you get an A+ just for that..'
you know what they say:

Asking a quilter to mend, is like asking picaso to paint the garage"!!!
I do very little mending..alot of button for my brothers dress shirts for work..seems like the dry cleaner just makes them brittle and they break..
Hubbys holey socks end up in the dusting box, or waxing box in the garage..

Welcome sewmom! have a great time at the wedding!
Old 01-01-2010, 02:25 PM

WOW! Bella Boo....you are worse than me!!! You make me feel real good! Thanks!LOL!
Old 01-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Bev

I started mine a few days ago, right after Christmas. It had been nagging away at me for months now. I'm going to use this as a kick-off for the closets through the rest of the house. My quilting/sewing room is the smallest room in the house, previously used as a play room for the kids. I've got way too much stuff packed into it. I'm going to do what SewMom is doing and rip out patterns from magazines and file them. I've already got the three ring binders, inherited from my kids as they moved on in school. But I have to think of what to do with all my books. Up til now they've occupied a rolling book cart I purchased at a library used stuff sale. However now I have too many for that, and no room for more shelving in the room.
Oh geez, it's all too much right now. I'm going to go have a cup of tea and just think about it. It's freezing here in central Florida today.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:26 PM

oldswimmer-
I have to ask...what kind of dogs are those in your avatar? They sure are cuties.
lots2do
Old 01-01-2010, 05:03 PM

This thread has definitely motivated me. Over the last few months, I have done mini tidy ups only where I actually sew. This thread has got me thinking of how to make better use of my space. Came up with a few ideas, and bought 2-7 drawer tote stacks, and 2-3 drawer stacks today. I work tomorrow morning, so the plan is to start digging out when I get home. :) Thanks everyone. (And yes, I will take pix before I start. ;))

Patti
Old 01-01-2010, 07:20 PM

ROFLMAO!!! Uaed DH's sawz-all last summer on something. Now he won't let me touch it (his toy, not mine!!) so he's not allowed to "temporarily" store his stuff in my sewing room. Love that you cut a couch in hafl. You go Girl!!
Originally Posted by watterstide
Find a couple neighborhhod kids to move the stuff for you! lol!
I cut a couch in 2, in the basement..because, hubby was always saying "I'll get around to it"getting it out of the basement..trashing it.. ..i could not move it because it was to heavy! LOL!
do you know how cool a sawz-all is?! ROFL! yikees!
he moves pretty fast now, when i ask him to move soemthing for me! :)
Old 01-01-2010, 08:43 PM

Wish I had read this before I cleaned up my sewing studio today. It still needs tons of organization, but at least I can see the countertops, floor and walk thru. Yikes. I got busy on a baby blanket (panel quickie)and now I got to go clean it again! Fun to read all the posts, picked up a couple of tips too!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:52 AM

I'm SO in. I actually was supposed to have quilting today at the library (which I didn't realize because we were going to NYC for a few days)....our plans fizzled, and I stood in this room and couldn't decide on a a project to take with me (Ha, that UFO list is NEVER gonna get touched) because the studio is crying out for help...so, after coffee....
Old 01-02-2010, 02:47 PM

Boy, I can agree that that happens to me too. Whenever I start a new project, I have to have only those new fabrics out and about. It's too cluttery otherwise and my brain gets a bit fuzzy. it is nice to know tho, that I'm not the only messy quilter out there. My husband says it drives him crazy to come in my sewing room, there's stuff on every surface. I do know where most things are tho, even tho it looks cluttery to others. My computer desk is in here too along with a lightstand for starting seeds in March and April for my gardens. The lightstand (built be me) serves more of a purpose of open shelving for quilting fabric and yarn to sit on most of the year.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Bev

I just came upon a large, VERY large Rubbermaid bin labeled "one yard lengths only," but when I opened it I found that there were tons of different lengths including fat quarters!
What do you suppose I was thinking that day that I stuffed this bin in the very back of my closet, then put my loaded library book cart in front of it almost insuring that it would be safe from prying eyes, including my own, for the rest of the century?
I DO remember the fabrics, in a fuzzy sort of way, but when and why I hid them away is a big mystery to me. Especially since I labeled the bin incorrectly. If I weren't so tired I'd sit down and enjoy looking at them. But I had to come in here to my computer, and try to relax. I think I've had it for today.