Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 01-02-2010, 04:03 PM

Another hour and a half. Sewing Table mostly cleaned off. Why is it when we clear off on area another gets messed up? Now I have to work on my desk area and cutting table again. Still have ironing board to clean off too.

TOO MANY scraps of yet to be finished projects that seem to be re-appearing. Need to figure out how to complete one thing before starting another, but what fun is that??

How do others organize WIPs or UFOs so they can get done? I have five quilt tops that I can think of right off the top of my head ... yikes ... two of them I know I want to Tie.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bev
I just came upon a large, VERY large Rubbermaid bin labeled "one yard lengths only," but when I opened it I found that there were tons of different lengths including fat quarters!
What do you suppose I was thinking that day that I stuffed this bin in the very back of my closet, then put my loaded library book cart in front of it almost insuring that it would be safe from prying eyes, including my own, for the rest of the century?
I DO remember the fabrics, in a fuzzy sort of way, but when and why I hid them away is a big mystery to me. Especially since I labeled the bin incorrectly. If I weren't so tired I'd sit down and enjoy looking at them. But I had to come in here to my computer, and try to relax. I think I've had it for today.
No idea as to the answer to your question, but what a fun find! I expect there will a lot of interesting "finds" by others as the sewing room cleanups progress.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:55 PM

I've got a few on hangers in back of the door. So those will geet done after I get the other one out from under the bed of my machine.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:33 PM

Bev, I miss lable mine all the time cause I go through and try to weed out and get everything mixed up when putting it away.

I had a good find yesterday on some small tupperware containers for my projects and found they will fit on my bookcase really well. I went back today and bought all they had, now I have to redo my sewing room and fill them up with my projects.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 PM

Lots2do

They are English Setters. And they are sisters, can you believe it? Mom was black and white, and Dad was an orange and white.

And today the small thing I got done was to dig out a box of magazines to go through. Had surgery 3 weeks ago, so am moving quite a bit better. I also decided to tear out patterns from my quilting magazines and put in a binder. So far so good!
Old 01-02-2010, 10:09 PM

I have a white board on my wall that has my projects prioritized...sort of. For example: I have 2 blocks due for a friend and that's at the top, next is Boomerang Swap, next is wallhanging for living room, next is baby quilt due Feb 27, then baby quilt due April 5, etc. When I finish a project I erase it and put another at the bottom. It helps keep me from being overwhelmed.

My templates are hung on my wall with nails, my fabrics are in clear bins sorted by color. But my scraps are all disorganized in a clear bin, all 5 inch scraps or smaller.

"Quilts to be" are stored together in a clear bin with the pattern on top, colors listed on the outside with erasable marker. The back is stored there, also, if I have enough room.

My closet has batting and batting scraps (and Christmas decorations). I buy quilt backs when on the cheap *under $15- and store them on the top shelves =if they won't fit in the boxes with their tops.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Bev

PURPLEMEM, you are already so well organized that I envy you. I like your idea of the "project board." I found a white board and marker in like new condition while cleaning out a closet. I was going to give it to Goodwill, but when I saw your message I decided to keep it. This thread has given me lots of tips. Thanks for yours. Happy New Year!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:40 AM

The white board is an excellent idea!
I bought a large plastic clear bin yesterday..and i have started putting projects that need finishing, or kits,like ornamants,pot holders..ect..they all all in thier own bag.So i can grab a bag, and finish it.
i got 4 large dersser drawers cleaned out today..i am well pleased!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 AM

The white board is indeed a good idea. I tack notes to a small cork bulletin board. That works well for me. Also, I copy quilt ideas from tiny pictures (from catalog or magazine). I tack the picture(s) to my corkboard to frequently refer to while I figure out how many and what size pieces I need to cut and how to put them together correctly.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:47 AM

The table tops in my sewing room are all topped with a material that looks and works like "dry erase boards". It's great to have my lists, or measurements always before me.