Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 01-03-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by PineyRiverQuilter
The table tops in my sewing room are all topped with a material that looks and works like "dry erase boards". It's great to have my lists, or measurements always before me.
dry erase board tops sewing tables
[ATTACH=CONFIG]61963[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-61958.jpe  
Old 01-03-2010, 10:50 AM

here's another shot of the table
Attached Thumbnails attachment-61959.jpe  
Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 PM

Okay, so here goes. My "sewing space" is beginning to take over my house. I find notions, fabric, quilt magazines, books, et cetera in virtually every room of my house. My husband is a custom reloader and his hobby takes up only a small chunk of our storage room and his gun safe is in our basement family room. My hobby has burst throughout the house.

A couple of years ago, my husband's sister killed herself. Shortly after her funeral, her husband was deployed to Iraq. Our 14 year old nephew had no place to go, so we cleaned out our basement bedroom and gave it to him for a year. This meant my fabric stash ended up in our storage room, in our laundry room, and my dining room was taken over. I ended up putting up shelves in my laundry room, but they were quickly overtaken with kitchen things, kid things, and UFOs. My counter became a catch-all for mess instead of a cutting board and ironing station. This past summer, I lost both my grandmothers, so I was gone much of the summer.
(As a teacher, summers are when I get most projects done.) So, with the school year approaching, I got busy and painted the bedroom a color I could live with. (Not bright red, as it was before!) I have slowly been organizing the room, prior to moving down my long-arm. Right now it is taking up my dining room. It isn't even out to full length and it is too cramped to work in there right now, so I haven't used it since I bought it.

Yesterday, I went down to start working on the room again, only to discover that our new kitten was peeing in my block basket and on a pile of fabric I was organizing onto shelves. So, today I have been washing fabrics and will be shampooing the carpet in a few minutes. I plan on having my room ready to go before my husband deploys at the end of March. I have two more bookcases to move in and a cabinet to build. I am going to leave my sewing machine upstairs in the laundry room because it is right off the kitchen and I still feel connected to the family when I am working on a quilt because I can see all the way to the family room when I am sitting at my machine.

So, hopefully the next pictures I post in a few weeks will show SIGNIFICANT improvements! Wish me luck... and energy.

My dining room!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62379[/ATTACH]

Scary room! (Laundry/Pantry/Sewing room)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62380[/ATTACH]

Over my sewing machine... that is buried right now
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62381[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62374.jpe   attachment-62375.jpe   attachment-62376.jpe  
Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 PM

Very nice Bev, :lol: :lol:
Old 01-03-2010, 12:34 PM

Here is part two... the room that needs to be my stash room and quilting room...

Still need to attach closet door
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62305[/ATTACH]

The pile that survived the kitten!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62306[/ATTACH]

Slowly, but surely.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62307[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62300.jpe   attachment-62301.jpe   attachment-62302.jpe  
Old 01-03-2010, 12:38 PM

And last of all... the rest of the mess... around the house

Our storage room... all my fabrics are all over the place here. I have about ten large rubbermaid containers and a bunch piled up.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62482[/ATTACH]

Three of the four bathrooms in the house have piles of books and magazines that need to get organized again.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62483[/ATTACH]

Outside the downstairs bedroom that will house all my stash and my long-arm.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62484[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62477.jpe   attachment-62478.jpe   attachment-62479.jpe  
Old 01-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Bev

I found a very old yardstick in a thrift store and nailed it kind of highish on one wall of my quilting room. DH hammered carefully spaced long nails all along the middle of it. Now I hang all of my quilting rulers on it. Each nail holds at least two or three rulers. So besides being a practical thing to have, it's also a bit decorative. The best thing is that the rulers are always within reach and out of harm's way. Bev
Old 01-03-2010, 01:13 PM

MistyMarie, I see HUGE potential there, but so MUCH WORK you have ahead of you! My urge to cringe is fighting with my urge to dig right in there with you. I think the cringing is winning the battle.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:25 PM

MistyMaire - What have you used to wrapped your fabric on thats on the bookshelf and what size is it. I wish you the best of luck - take it one step at a time. I find if I put on some music with a beat to it - it makes me work faster & yeah I do turn up the volume :thumbup: You will be so proud of what you get done.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:27 PM

Oldswimmer-
That was my guess! My first dog (and favorite one) growing up was a black and white English setter. Her name was Gypsy and she was the best dog to go through life with. I don't see E. Setters around here much anymore.
Misty-Marie, good luck with your spaces.
lots2do