Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 01-04-2010, 05:05 AM

Yesterday I almost finished sorting my scrap bins but in the process I HAD to start a new scrap quilt - I found so many pieces that were too big to toss but too small to organize. I've done this before and ended up with some of my most favorite quilts! So I'll set a timer and alternate cleaning and sewing. Works for me.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 AM

I made it thru' the pile of waiting ironing last night. Oof-da!!!! Hoping to tackle moving large totes into the closet tonight.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Banned

Fortunately I am a very organized person and can not stand clutter in my work spaces, so the studio is pretty much organized. I do have the fabric set out on my cutting table to use for my next quilt but it is not in disarray.

Now my house is a little different........ :lol:

But I am impresses with all the hard work you guys are putting in getting your spaces organized. :thumbup:

Billy
Old 01-04-2010, 06:36 AM
Banned

I, too try to stay organized but keep trying to get better at it, what are some of your organizing secrets and tips, Billy?
Old 01-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Banned

My pet peeves are cleaning up as you go, and make sure the work area is clean and organized before starting another project.

That includes vacuuming the floors and I make sure that my cutting table and my quilting bench are totally clean with nothing on them at all other that the materials for the next job.

All of my stash is squirreled away neatly in the drawers of my 150+ year old chest of drawers. The ironing board is built into my wall so it is always up unless I am using it. I make sure that all of my machines are neatly set in their wall unit on display/future use and are all oiled and ready to go.

As I add onto the studio I will incorporate shelving for the bolts of fabric that I have bought and I can have a spot for my book cases for all of my books and magazines so they do not have to share the wall unit with my machines. And I can have my BIG pressing table that I want in there and not a stupid fold down ironing board!!

Billy
Old 01-04-2010, 08:12 AM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

thanks to this thread i now have all my fabric folded, in containers and it looks so beautiful! Now i will have to go shopping because I have not got all the colors of the rainbow to make it even prettier!
I also found a website to help organise which had lots of interesting ideas. I dont know how to do a link but if you type in domestic diva it should come up. Happy organising! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 AM

I have been working on my sewing room. Got my fabric put away neatly. Got my tools in the right place also. Now to keep it that way. Got to paint and put new flooring in. I don't want the carpet in my room because it's to hard to make it look nice. Need new curtains also. It's getting better in my sewing room
Old 01-04-2010, 08:49 AM

Good for you Becky! i hope we can all keep them organized!

I have been pressing and folding and putting yardage fabrics on the cardboard.

i am going through the WOW's now..what a mess..half of them, i have to hold up to the light to see what pattern it is..
I cut a piece of string..2 yards..marked the half way point with tape..and i am using that to get measurements. if it is over two yards, it is going on the top shelf..possible backs, for baby,toddler quilts.

I also am using a 2 in template, it gets the boot..if it is under 2 inches..yikkes..it has been hard, but i am keeping to it!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Am working on still cleaning up my sewing room thanks to this thread. Have been wading thru stuff as I go but am hopefully getting there. Finally went thru a box of stuff from the last move (7 yrs ago) and got rid of stuff plus the box. I have to get more ruthless but am getting there. Too little space for everything we have in the room but do have room for a bookcase if I can convince hubby that it's necessary. :) My girls say they can see progress but have been careful to not volunteer to help me. Oh well, the work progresses but slowly.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:52 AM

If you really, really can't throw those little pieces of your stash away, bag them up in plastic sandwich bags and take them to your guild &/or quilting friends. Say they are precious pieces you saved just for them. Everyone likes a present once in awhile. Our guild collected bits and pieces and sold them by the bag at our last quilt show craft room. It was a hit. The leftovers went home with some gals who will use them for lockerhooking or rugmaking projects. The process of donating them made me feel so much better and alot lighter in the stash department.