Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 12-31-2009, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by trolley station
What a gift I received before Christmas. My (non-quilting) best friend neighbor asked if there anything that she could do to help me in my basement sewing room. I thought.... what a great chance to have her go through pieces and cut some strips and squares for scrap quilts. I am going to busy myself with some quilts and have her do her thing, that way I won't be checking to see "if there is anything I need to save"...which is my excuse for saving everything. She is very organized, so I think that I am blessed. I told her that I am 'sure' we can find enough to make her grandchildren each a quilt. How is that for a wonderful way to begin the New Year? HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL, LOIS
Does she travel??
Old 12-31-2009, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

okie-dokie, watterstide...here's where I'm at:
I kind of do an almost whole-house thing ever Thanksgiving-NewYears+.
I have done a lot of the house, and have worked a bit on the s. room, but am not finished.
My digital camera needs a new card right now, so I will take some pictures of my progress on my disposables, and in a few weeks when I get them developed I will post.
So, go ahead and start, or is this the thread?
We're in chit chat arent' we?
Can't tell since we changed formats...can't scroll down and read comments like we could before...not complaining...sniff, sniff,...just miss that feature's all...
anyway...
You start the new thread in Pictures? and I'll be in and out, as I go along...sucking up the pics, and will share mine, when I get them. Ok? :-D
Old 12-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan
I will come do your space if you will do mine. I look like a Hoarder! stuff everywhere. got it from my Hubby!!
nativetexan...I'll show you what hoarding is...just hang on to your hat...I got to get pics taken and developed.
Can't use digital right now, and got to wait on some moolah.
Besides, I have to work when the energy is there...well, I wouldn't exactly call it energy...but when my butt aint dragging so bad...then when it hits the floor, I drag it to a chair for a while....LOL...what a visual...:lol: :lol: :lol:
(at least I have the floor swept :wink: )
Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 PM

I will start a new thread tomorrow..you can share your pictures when you get them! no problem!
We are doing this picture thing to shock the neat people!

naaa..just to let others know, that our area is not as bad as we thought...ROFL. and to see our progress, thats all.
I still have to do some seardhing for hits and tips to post...blogs on sewing rooms..so if you have any, hang on to them until we start the new thread..so it will all be together..in the mean time, i will add the lastest pictures.to flicker..
Old 12-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by watterstide
Ok, I am going to use flicker photo sharing. you post the picture here, and i will gather them all tp and put them in an album...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24578155@N05/?donelayout=1

Mine and BellaBoo's is in there now..
that'll be great, :thumbup: bc I am on dial up, and don't know how to post to flickr.
I'm a sew/book/psychology, geek, not a computer geek...:roll: - :-D
Old 12-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by watterstide
Find a couple neighborhhod kids to move the stuff for you! lol!
I cut a couch in 2, in the basement..because, hubby was always saying "I'll get around to it"getting it out of the basement..trashing it.. ..i could not move it because it was to heavy! LOL!
do you know how cool a sawz-all is?! ROFL! yikees!
he moves pretty fast now, when i ask him to move soemthing for me! :)
Ladies, Ladies...there are the neat little things called, "sliders"...don't pull your backs!
now, I have to interject one stipulation for my room.
I have a LOT of stuff...so far, it's not that any of the pictures I've seen couldn't use a little sprucing up...but so far, you guys don't have all the stuff I do...I inherited, bought and hoarded,...tons...lol....I'm not kiddddding....
so, my stipulation is: I get to decide when it's in order...even if it doesn't look orderly to anybody else.
I have to put stuff where I can, so I can work.
It really is a pretty organized room when I vacuum and clear the tables...it's just so full, that I can't back up enough for the pictures to look nice.
If you were standing in there, you could see a LOT of organized stuff.
I'm only keeping what I need...(lol)....:mrgreen:
Old 12-31-2009, 03:19 PM

This topic caught my eye this morning. I read through what you were all working up to and was greatly inspired.
I've never made New Year's resolutions, but this has been a difficult year. I decided I needed to make some changes and well the New Year was fast approaching and it seemed like a good time to get started. Organizing our entire home is at the top of my list. And, the sewing room....perhaps the worst room of all. Sorry......rambling.

I don't have any pictures, but I'm happy to report I spent this afternoon organizing fabric. I do believe it's all sorted into bins, unless I find some tucked away somewhere.
I have all the notions, elastics, interfacings, stabilizers, etc. sorted into proper bins. I didn't dust or vacuum yet, but I've definately made a noticable difference.
Thanks for the nudge I needed to get to work.
Now, I can start a project.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by marveenc
Dear sunkistmi:

There really is no pattern. It all depends on the size of your shelves.

My book shelf measured:12" deep x 40" long.

I wanted 3 "stacks" per shelf with a little "wiggle room" between the stacks. The cardboard dimensions I used were: 11" x 12".

The cardboard doesn't have to be thick. Most of mine were from
cereal boxes and soft drink cartons.

I've recycled a few of my many plastic boxes to store seam binding, bias tape, trims, etc. The rest found homes as containers for off season clothing and shoes.

Good luck!
Marveen in Sunny Tucson

Marveen
in Sunny Tucson
Marveen, could we see some photos? I can't visualize the cardboard, is it separating the stacks or floating in between colors?
:oops:
Old 12-31-2009, 03:23 PM

I'm in, My understanding is we post them here and watterstide will post to flicker? I will add photo in the next day or two.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:25 PM

I'm having trouble getting the slide show to work. I do not do Flicker, or any other cool stuff, do well to walk, talk and chew gum at the same time. lol