Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 01-03-2010, 02:41 PM

I'm taking a break from sorting scraps. I dumped two huge bins on the floor and started - one handful at a time. Jeez! I can't believe the little tiny pieces I've not been able to toss! (Until now) I'm getting ruthless! If it's smaller than 2" square, out it goes! Okay, I jest. I'm really tossing larger pieces. But anything not embarrassing small that I'm pretty sure I won't use is going into shoe boxes to share. I decided that if I live to be 200 and quilt every day, I'll never use my entire stash. So I'm not only downsizing but am determined to cut into the fabrics I've hoarded for years thinking "Someday I'll find the most perfect use for this piece!" OK, my break is over - back to ironing, sorting and petting my scraps. PS A "flip-fold" is the greatest for neatly folding larger pieces.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by quilter girl
MistyMaire - What have you used to wrapped your fabric on thats on the bookshelf and what size is it. I wish you the best of luck - take it one step at a time. I find if I put on some music with a beat to it - it makes me work faster & yeah I do turn up the volume :thumbup: You will be so proud of what you get done.
Misty Marie...
Join me on my quest to FLING 27 things (a day, a week, every time you walk into a room....) and you will find yourself in a much better place sooner than you think!!!

:mrgreen: Look at my signature for my blog, below...today was day ONE~
Old 01-03-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by quilter girl
MistyMaire - What have you used to wrapped your fabric on thats on the bookshelf and what size is it. I wish you the best of luck - take it one step at a time. I find if I put on some music with a beat to it - it makes me work faster & yeah I do turn up the volume :thumbup: You will be so proud of what you get done.
I spent a long time thinking about how to organize my stash. I discussed and tossed out several ideas, until talking with my sister, who owns a vinyl graphics business. She has coroplast for sign making. The sheets come 4' x 8' by 1/4" and she cuts them down for me so I can wrap my fabric around them, secure the fabric to them, and store them vertically. I have several hundred of them and I use them for my larger pieces of fabric (2 yds. or more). I LOVE it. The fabric stays wrinkle-free and the coroplast is acid free, so I know my fabric will stay stain-free (unlike using cardboard).

(She decided to start selling these on E-bay about a year ago, so they are available if you look for them. She also has fat quarter pieces, but I am not THAT organized.)

Here is a picture of my corner of my laundry room:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62146.jpe   attachment-62147.jpe  
Old 01-03-2010, 03:52 PM

I didn't get too far today, but did get a start. Moved all the "off season" clothes out of my closet into my step-daughters. She rarely has anything hanging in there, so I figured I might as well!!! So...large empty space in closet for storing large totes with finished items. I had to leave organizing for a bit to make a mitt that will fit over my cast that I get on Wednesday. Tooooo cold here to be without cover. Time for some food, then back to it.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Thank goodness I do not have as much 'stuff' as most of you do. I would pull my short hair out. I gave Goodwill lots of craft stuff 4-5 years ago when I decided to just concentrate on quilting as long as I can. When I get to the shed they will be getting lots more. I would not be able to handle tidying up all that 'stuff'. I have a small house and small closets. Good luck to everyone and I hope you achieve your goals.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:40 PM

Well Misty you have work cut out for you! When your finished let us see what you did. By the way my garage looks almost like that and the bedroom closet is as bad. :lol: :lol:
Old 01-03-2010, 04:52 PM

Well i think Bella boo 's looks fine. got to get my granddaughter to teach me to post pictures.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:46 PM

My husband helped me empty the office today- we're making a quilting space! Fresh paint, new shelves, desk, etc. I'm even going to make curtains. I found some retro orange/creme fabric. We painted the bottom of the wall, under the chair rail on two walls, a rust color. I'm pretty excited how everything is turning out! Thanks for the motivation!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:19 PM

You buy quilt backs? Do you make all your quilts the same size? How do you know how much fabric to buy? I usually piece the back from sections of fabric I used on the front. Except for the last one, and then I did use a solid black fabric, so I could machine quilt it from the back side, so I could see my freehand feathers as I made them.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 AM

fireworkslover, my SIL went in with me, and we bought 90 wide muslin. lucky me, she keeps it at her house..lol
i love using the fabric from the front to the back..but it is costing too much money..so i do that with baby quilts, everything else gets muslin..we used a coupon of course to get the muslin. i want to get another bolt of the tea dyed muslin..so if i don't want to use white, i can use that. maybe in a couple months we can get a bolt together again.