Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 01-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Fortunately I am a very organized person and can not stand clutter in my work spaces, so the studio is pretty much organized. I do have the fabric set out on my cutting table to use for my next quilt but it is not in disarray.

Now my house is a little different........ :lol:

But I am impresses with all the hard work you guys are putting in getting your spaces organized. :thumbup:

Billy
Ok, I hope I am not stepping right in it: Where is Bikini Bottom?
Did you get that off Sponge Bob Square Pants?
Sounds familiar, lol!:-D
Old 01-04-2010, 02:35 PM

I sorted all my WOW's today..that was a job in itself! good grief..i had to hold half of them up to the light to see the pattern! so here they are..all under a yard..most FQ's.

Any idea how to store them..now that they are all organized?
I want to keep them seperated by pattern..

all the yardage of WOW..is already on the boards..
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62899.jpe  
Old 01-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by watterstide
I sorted all my WOW's today..that was a job in itself! good grief..i had to hold half of them up to the light to see the pattern! so here they are..all under a yard..most FQ's.

Any idea how to store them..now that they are all organized?
I want to keep them seperated by pattern..

all the yardage of WOW..is already on the boards..
My white on whites is one of the things that I don't always have in bundles. What I mean is, I put coordinating fabrics together, but not always the neutrals, bc I don't always have a pattern picked out, when I pick out fabrics for a future project.
So, I use my 6" x 24" ruler to fold them...well, I mean i'm going to...roflmbo...I'm getting ahead of myself!
Hope that helps. Don't know where your going to store them.:-D
P.S. For those that want to sort fabrics by projects, I tie a long string, yarn, or piece of selvedge edge around them and sometimes attach a pattern name and where to find it: magazine, book etc.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
Billy from the looks of recent pictures you have posted, your sewing area is neat as a pin, and you like things to shine. I wish I had that kind of space...tradeja?:lol:
um, on second thought: do you live where it snows?
never mind,...was a nice thought for a few seconds, but I ain't leaving my grandbabies :wink:
I tell you what I will pick up and move down to you!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Its not snowing here yet but we will be getting some in the next couple of days. The weather service is warning us about single digit temps and sever wind chills. But normally it snows around march here.

And yes I love my SpongeBob!!

Billy
Old 01-04-2010, 08:55 PM

Watterstide, looks to me like each one of your WOWs would fit nicely in a zippered food storage bag (gallon) size. Bags even have a label on the front and would stack nicely ... zippers on alternating ends so pile would lay flat in a storage drawer or box.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:14 AM

Thanks weezie! i will do that! i am getting so much accomplished..it still doesn't look like it much..but i know how much i have moved and organized..
Old 01-05-2010, 05:25 AM

This is fun reading how everyone is doing. :) Last night, I got the two largest storage totes in the closet, storage towers moved into my room and started filling the drawers of one with yarn. It still looks like a cyclone has run thru' the room, but I am definitely starting to see progress. Tonight will be ironing, folding, and putting fabric into the second tower.

Patti
Old 01-05-2010, 05:52 AM

How did we get along without zip lock bag? I use and reuse them all the time.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:37 AM

The most depressing thing about this blog and others like it is seeing HOW MUCH FABRIC you'all have! SHEESH.. I remember once having several bins and then some of it.. now I have one and its a treasure to me. I look at sewing room/space pics and think Holy Moly! they have a heck of a huge collection.. ah to be a tiny little fly in your rooms. Oh wait, the pics are allowing me to do this! I have a sewing table which is my dinner table. Having a sewing room would be like winning the lotto! not having to put my machine up, pack up fabric, works in progress every single day.. that would be fantasy island. does sorting your little stash count as cleaning up my space? I do this about once a week.. probably just to play with it :)
Old 01-05-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
The most depressing thing about this blog and others like it is seeing HOW MUCH FABRIC you'all have! SHEESH.. I remember once having several bins and then some of it.. now I have one and its a treasure to me. I look at sewing room/space pics and think Holy Moly! they have a heck of a huge collection.. ah to be a tiny little fly in your rooms. Oh wait, the pics are allowing me to do this! I have a sewing table which is my dinner table. Having a sewing room would be like winning the lotto! not having to put my machine up, pack up fabric, works in progress every single day.. that would be fantasy island. does sorting your little stash count as cleaning up my space? I do this about once a week.. probably just to play with it :)
There's nothing wrong with having a small stash! You just quit that whimpering! Mine is pretty small and I still feel a little guilty (I typed "quilty" there and had to correct it!) because I'm sure I'll never get to use it all and my daughters do not sew. However (and this is important) when I start a new project and am missing a color or two, it's time to go browsing at the fabric store ... which is challenging and fun.