Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 12-31-2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
OK, Let me make a few excuses first...Remember, that I sew for a living, 7 days a week. No time off for the wicked. I have 2 sewing rooms, one is unheated, the other is the small bedroom that leads into the unheated one. Plus, I think my middle name is Elenor Burns during my busy season. :oops: The unheated one is the worst, and everything that doesn't have a home ends up in there during the holidays. :roll: I am going to work on that one, today and tomorrow...I'm putting my cell phone in my pocket, that way I can call for help if there is a landslide, or if I can't find my way out. ;-) The room isn't quite 7foot wide by 10'. It used to be a screened porch that was enclosed, all windows, only wall is the one that has the door. Can't hang shelves, or cabinet, plus the porch is sinking on the 1 corner, so shelving units don't sit flush to the wall.
I am going in....if you don't hear from me by tomorrow night....
How are you doing Susie? Does your phone have enough charge in it?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:56 PM

I am so impressed with how neat you have everything. Wish I vould organize like that. I can do the big pieces, it is all the small stuff that is a problem for me. I do a lot of charity quilts and people donate lots of small pieces, that is the hardest to organize. You have an awesome sewing room, I am jealous.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by PineyRiverQuilter
We bought a piece at Lowe's Home Improvement. Hubby painted it to match the room color, and he put a couple of small boards on the back so that the holes would be elevated for the hooks. It was a pretty easy fix.
Now all I need is the Hubby! Lollolooo
Old 12-31-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by bluebird
But if we get organized we will never find what we want or make such beautiful quilts any longer :roll:
Soooo True!!!! I painted, cleaned and organized last month after a water pipe leaked in my quilting room. Luckily I found it w/in hours of it breaking so I didn't lose anything as a result of the flood except the carpet. However, as a result of the organizing I can't find the borders for my quilt 4 kids and I can't find two leftover blocks from the quilt I finished at retreat that I now need because I realized I sewed the blocks together wrong. There is one other thing I realized I was missing the other night - think I can remember NO :)
Old 12-31-2009, 01:14 PM

I'm rather blessed with a willing husband who lives to make me happy. LOL
Old 12-31-2009, 01:17 PM

Grandma Cindy: You're beginning to make a lotta sense re: this job opportunity!! However, I think it only fair to warn you that there are many days that I'd trade the husband and the lazy dog for a McDonald's Happy Meal (and I don't even eat "fast food").
Old 12-31-2009, 01:18 PM

Cindy, i did mine, by myself. i believe they come in a finished size of 2' x 6'. the big hardware shops will cut them for you, if you need bigger or smaller.
i also bought soft wood,1/2" x 1/2"..and glued it all the way around the peg board. you can cut that also at lowes or home depot..you can cut it yourself..they have a table and a handsaw set up for just that..i tried to take a few pictures of the back of mine..but it was hard..can't take it down..let me post the pictures in a minute.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:22 PM

awesome job and yes it looks like you have a lil mini fabric store..lovin it. I am pretty much a anal neat freak and already straighten up my craft rm that houses other crafts besides sewing. I rearranged my tables so the machines now sit in front of the window, more better light..lol..today I am cleaning out 9 binders of sew projects that I have been carrying around for yrs..yes having lots of those "what was I thinking moments" lol
I am having a ball watching everyones progress..you are all doing a great job!!!
happy new year...sorry I don't post near as often as I used to, had to vow to stay off the computer or I wasn't getting much done.
dee
Old 12-31-2009, 01:27 PM

Who needs employment? I'm looking for a few good women to learn a new profession.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Cindy, i did mine, by myself. i believe they come in a finished size of 2' x 6'. the big hardware shops will cut them for you, if you need bigger or smaller.
i also bought soft wood,1/2" x 1/2"..and glued it all the way around the peg board. you can cut that also at lowes or home depot..you can cut it yourself..they have a table and a handsaw set up for just that..i tried to take a few pictures of the back of mine..but it was hard..can't take it down..let me post the pictures in a minute.
I could probably hang it some how on the back of the bedroom door, or the closet door, to save what little wall space I have. I got to really thinking after taking the pictures, now that the holiday's are over, I could bring all the STUFF that isn't meant to be in a sewing room out of there and plop it back in the living room. Then I could finish My Space............