Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

I got a new cover for my ironing board made today. Getting things done. This board is a great help.

Blog Entries
    Billy, sounds great, have you posted your pictures yet?

Cookie

Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    I just came upon a large, VERY large Rubbermaid bin labeled "one yard lengths only," but when I opened it I found that there were tons of different lengths including fat quarters!
    What do you suppose I was thinking that day that I stuffed this bin in the very back of my closet, then put my loaded library book cart in front of it almost insuring that it would be safe from prying eyes, including my own, for the rest of the century?
    I DO remember the fabrics, in a fuzzy sort of way, but when and why I hid them away is a big mystery to me. Especially since I labeled the bin incorrectly. If I weren't so tired I'd sit down and enjoy looking at them. But I had to come in here to my computer, and try to relax. I think I've had it for today.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
    When I was still relying on bins....soo so sew-me!
    I labeled them, alright...and then still couldn't remember EXACTLY what was in them.
    That is why, over time I did my level best to work my way towards shelves.
    Two things kept me from having them:
    1 - Fear...that others would then see all the accumulation.
    SOLUTION: Silly me! you can't leave shelves of fabric open to ultra violet rays and dust. You have to cover them!:lol:
    2 - with all that I had, I wasn't sure I was worthy, deserving of something so luxurious as shelves. Now, isn't that kind of thinking, REALLY SILLY?
    I didn't know I felt that way. My guilt over my never-to-be-completely-quenched, thirst for fabrics made me feel unworthy.
    Once I realized I had all these fabric/quilt related issues...which probably stems from deeper lol, issues...
    I laugh, bc these are old broken records that need to be tossed...
    Now??? Of course my lovelies deserved to not only be taken care of in the best manner, they deserve to be proudly shelved, bc there is an artiste' in the midst and the sooner I got things better organized, the more creating that was going to happen.
    I have a huge stash and am proud of it. Me and/or hubby worked for all of it, except for the 'giftings'.
    Why should any of us, be ashamed?
    That is one of the things I learned that made me laugh the most after joining this board. I had never belonged to any kind of quilting group, period.
    Most quilters have guilt of some kind over their stuff.
    Either the amount of it, or the condition that is going on, concerning their stuff.
    Some of it is induced by family. Well, genius' are mess-prone, but ideas just come and come. They don't wait for CLEAN???? Thanks for the chuckles, Bev!
    (what did you use a sawzall on) :?:

Quote Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    Okay, so here goes. My "sewing space" is beginning to take over my house. I find notions, fabric, quilt magazines, books, et cetera in virtually every room of my house. My husband is a custom reloader and his hobby takes up only a small chunk of our storage room and his gun safe is in our basement family room. My hobby has burst throughout the house.

A couple of years ago, my husband's sister killed herself. Shortly after her funeral, her husband was deployed to Iraq. Our 14 year old nephew had no place to go, so we cleaned out our basement bedroom and gave it to him for a year. This meant my fabric stash ended up in our storage room, in our laundry room, and my dining room was taken over. I ended up putting up shelves in my laundry room, but they were quickly overtaken with kitchen things, kid things, and UFOs. My counter became a catch-all for mess instead of a cutting board and ironing station. This past summer, I lost both my grandmothers, so I was gone much of the summer.
    (As a teacher, summers are when I get most projects done.) So, with the school year approaching, I got busy and painted the bedroom a color I could live with. (Not bright red, as it was before!) I have slowly been organizing the room, prior to moving down my long-arm. Right now it is taking up my dining room. It isn't even out to full length and it is too cramped to work in there right now, so I haven't used it since I bought it.

Yesterday, I went down to start working on the room again, only to discover that our new kitten was peeing in my block basket and on a pile of fabric I was organizing onto shelves. So, today I have been washing fabrics and will be shampooing the carpet in a few minutes. I plan on having my room ready to go before my husband deploys at the end of March. I have two more bookcases to move in and a cabinet to build. I am going to leave my sewing machine upstairs in the laundry room because it is right off the kitchen and I still feel connected to the family when I am working on a quilt because I can see all the way to the family room when I am sitting at my machine.

So, hopefully the next pictures I post in a few weeks will show SIGNIFICANT improvements! Wish me luck... and energy.

MistyMarie...I think you just joined us, so welcome, but you sound just like one of us already.
    Thanks for braving the pics! I am going to feel so much better for you, when you are able to get your stuff more organized so you can work, lol! (((hugs))):-D
    Isn't this freeing? We are always posting pics of our best works, but now we are really getting down to the nitty gritty and we are going to feel better for it. (said in my best therapeutic/counselor voice, lol!)
    I used to think I was a minority...nope. We just need to help each other with this part too.
    Each person will decide what works best for them. Houses are different sizes and shapes, and potential space is different.
    Believe it or not...poking fun, there,...I can see how pretty your house is, even if you do have a great love of the quilty things. You can tell you have really enjoyed your hobby, and it just grew on you...lol...that's funny...ok, sugared up, here...feeling the 'cheese'... :mrgreen:

Here is part two... the room that needs to be my stash room and quilting room...
    eww! slurp! you have some oranges and reds! I'm your frieeeend, m.m.!:wink:
    Looks like your making a great start.
    You know, those that have the most to do are going to feel the best when it is finished.
    I use to clean for ppl, 200 years ago...lol...I'm itching to come over, but I have some stuff waiting on me right here.
    Oh what fun, to do it together. I love yacking and doing anything with friends.
    This is exciting to me. I can't wait to see all the progress.
    yummers! :-D

How nice to hear that others are trying to organize too! The book on organizing that I'm reading (for inspiration) says to start with the area that is most visible and bothers you most, don't try to do the rest of the house first.

Blog Entries
    I got a new cover for my ironing board today too! :-P

I keep my fabrics in those plastic drawers stacked in the closet, and 2 smaller sets stuffed with envelope patterns, trims, cutting tools, etc. I have an old file cabinet in the closet for quilting magazines. I was my fabric before I fold it and put them into the drawers. labeling the outside with the color. Sometimes I will go to the dining table to cut my fabric.
    I put potential projects together (pattern and material) in larger see through bins. I am full to capacity and vow to not buy more till some of those projects are done. It all fits in the closet. My machine sits on a gateleg table that I can expand. I use the ironing board for support when quilting and sit in front of the tv to do the binding. My computer desk and a sofa and bookcase are in here too so I can rest as needed. It is hard to keep it all clean though.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter girl
    MistyMaire - What have you used to wrapped your fabric on thats on the bookshelf and what size is it. I wish you the best of luck - take it one step at a time. I find if I put on some music with a beat to it - it makes me work faster & yeah I do turn up the volume :thumbup: You will be so proud of what you get done.
    I spent a long time thinking about how to organize my stash. I discussed and tossed out several ideas, until talking with my sister, who owns a vinyl graphics business. She has coroplast for sign making. The sheets come 4' x 8' by 1/4" and she cuts them down for me so I can wrap my fabric around them, secure the fabric to them, and store them vertically. I have several hundred of them and I use them for my larger pieces of fabric (2 yds. or more). I LOVE it. The fabric stays wrinkle-free and the coroplast is acid free, so I know my fabric will stay stain-free (unlike using cardboard).

(She decided to start selling these on E-bay about a year ago, so they are available if you look for them. She also has fat quarter pieces, but I am not THAT organized.)

Here is a picture of my corner of my laundry room:
    well this looks fantastic! keep going girl! :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Fortunately I am a very organized person and can not stand clutter in my work spaces, so the studio is pretty much organized. I do have the fabric set out on my cutting table to use for my next quilt but it is not in disarray.

Now my house is a little different........ :lol:

But I am impresses with all the hard work you guys are putting in getting your spaces organized. :thumbup:

Billy
    Billy from the looks of recent pictures you have posted, your sewing area is neat as a pin, and you like things to shine. I wish I had that kind of space...tradeja?:lol:
    um, on second thought: do you live where it snows?
    never mind,...was a nice thought for a few seconds, but I ain't leaving my grandbabies :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Fortunately I am a very organized person and can not stand clutter in my work spaces, so the studio is pretty much organized. I do have the fabric set out on my cutting table to use for my next quilt but it is not in disarray.

Now my house is a little different........ :lol:

But I am impresses with all the hard work you guys are putting in getting your spaces organized. :thumbup:

Billy
    Ok, I hope I am not stepping right in it: Where is Bikini Bottom?
    Did you get that off Sponge Bob Square Pants?
    Sounds familiar, lol!:-D

Blog Entries
    I sorted all my WOW's today..that was a job in itself! good grief..i had to hold half of them up to the light to see the pattern! so here they are..all under a yard..most FQ's.

Any idea how to store them..now that they are all organized?
    I want to keep them seperated by pattern..

all the yardage of WOW..is already on the boards..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    I sorted all my WOW's today..that was a job in itself! good grief..i had to hold half of them up to the light to see the pattern! so here they are..all under a yard..most FQ's.

Any idea how to store them..now that they are all organized?
    I want to keep them seperated by pattern..

all the yardage of WOW..is already on the boards..
    My white on whites is one of the things that I don't always have in bundles. What I mean is, I put coordinating fabrics together, but not always the neutrals, bc I don't always have a pattern picked out, when I pick out fabrics for a future project.
    So, I use my 6" x 24" ruler to fold them...well, I mean i'm going to...roflmbo...I'm getting ahead of myself!
    Hope that helps. Don't know where your going to store them.:-D
    P.S. For those that want to sort fabrics by projects, I tie a long string, yarn, or piece of selvedge edge around them and sometimes attach a pattern name and where to find it: magazine, book etc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    Billy from the looks of recent pictures you have posted, your sewing area is neat as a pin, and you like things to shine. I wish I had that kind of space...tradeja?:lol:
    um, on second thought: do you live where it snows?
    never mind,...was a nice thought for a few seconds, but I ain't leaving my grandbabies :wink:
    I tell you what I will pick up and move down to you!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Its not snowing here yet but we will be getting some in the next couple of days. The weather service is warning us about single digit temps and sever wind chills. But normally it snows around march here.

And yes I love my SpongeBob!!

Billy

Watterstide, looks to me like each one of your WOWs would fit nicely in a zippered food storage bag (gallon) size. Bags even have a label on the front and would stack nicely ... zippers on alternating ends so pile would lay flat in a storage drawer or box.

Blog Entries
    Thanks weezie! i will do that! i am getting so much accomplished..it still doesn't look like it much..but i know how much i have moved and organized..

This is fun reading how everyone is doing. :) Last night, I got the two largest storage totes in the closet, storage towers moved into my room and started filling the drawers of one with yarn. It still looks like a cyclone has run thru' the room, but I am definitely starting to see progress. Tonight will be ironing, folding, and putting fabric into the second tower.

Patti

How did we get along without zip lock bag? I use and reuse them all the time.

The most depressing thing about this blog and others like it is seeing HOW MUCH FABRIC you'all have! SHEESH.. I remember once having several bins and then some of it.. now I have one and its a treasure to me. I look at sewing room/space pics and think Holy Moly! they have a heck of a huge collection.. ah to be a tiny little fly in your rooms. Oh wait, the pics are allowing me to do this! I have a sewing table which is my dinner table. Having a sewing room would be like winning the lotto! not having to put my machine up, pack up fabric, works in progress every single day.. that would be fantasy island. does sorting your little stash count as cleaning up my space? I do this about once a week.. probably just to play with it :)

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat
    The most depressing thing about this blog and others like it is seeing HOW MUCH FABRIC you'all have! SHEESH.. I remember once having several bins and then some of it.. now I have one and its a treasure to me. I look at sewing room/space pics and think Holy Moly! they have a heck of a huge collection.. ah to be a tiny little fly in your rooms. Oh wait, the pics are allowing me to do this! I have a sewing table which is my dinner table. Having a sewing room would be like winning the lotto! not having to put my machine up, pack up fabric, works in progress every single day.. that would be fantasy island. does sorting your little stash count as cleaning up my space? I do this about once a week.. probably just to play with it :)
    There's nothing wrong with having a small stash! You just quit that whimpering! Mine is pretty small and I still feel a little guilty (I typed "quilty" there and had to correct it!) because I'm sure I'll never get to use it all and my daughters do not sew. However (and this is important) when I start a new project and am missing a color or two, it's time to go browsing at the fabric store ... which is challenging and fun.

Bev
    I have a sewing table which is my dinner table. Having a sewing room would be like winning the lotto! not having to put my machine up, pack up fabric, works in progress every single day.. that would be fantasy island.

Believe me, I can empathize. That's all I had for many years! I know how it feels. When my kids all grew up and left the nest I finally had a room of my own to use as I pleased. You know what I used it for! Now that my DH is retiring (this year), we'll be selling this house and buying a much smaller one. Who knows what I'll have then. So, I'm enjoying my quilting room while I have it, and I'm sure I'll shed a few tears when I lose it.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    I have a sewing table which is my dinner table. Having a sewing room would be like winning the lotto! not having to put my machine up, pack up fabric, works in progress every single day.. that would be fantasy island.

Believe me, I can empathize. That's all I had for many years! I know how it feels. When my kids all grew up and left the nest I finally had a room of my own to use as I pleased. You know what I used it for! Now that my DH is retiring (this year), we'll be selling this house and buying a much smaller one. Who knows what I'll have then. So, I'm enjoying my quilting room while I have it, and I'm sure I'll shed a few tears when I lose it.

Bev
    [

Okay, yesterday I went thhrough 2 small totes of patterns. I didnt realize I had so many cute things that I could make for gifts! Being an antique collector and dealer, I have amassed a nice collection of vintage patterns. Now on to a couple smaller totes of fabric. Still not able to lift those big totes (had surgery 3 weeks ago) and I dare not ask DH for help, lest he realize how much I really have. LOL! You girls are great inspiration! Now my dilema is this... I have lots of furniture that I could repurpose into useful sewing room pieces and I am wondering if anyone has made a pressing "station" out of a lower height chest of drawers. Or something similar. It would be great to see what anyone has made. Thanks to all for the comraderie!

And I almost forgot... I am contemplating what paint color to use. This is in a basement. Not much natural light,but DH put in lots of lights in the ceiling. I am thinking a really light green of some sort. Have any of you painted and then found it interferes with seeing fabric colors well? Any advice is appreciated!

Wow I am getting there! I can see the floor!! I have moved some furniture out and my treadle in. I wish I had more room as it is only 7X9 so pretty tight! But finally I see progress!

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast