Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning  up your sewing space..Join me?! >

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Cleaning up your sewing space..Join me?!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:49 AM

I think I am willing....I might be willing....I could be willing....My horror as I stand in the doorway is overwhelming..I'm not sure I'm willing, but I'll try to get over it (besides it needs to be cleaned up to do anything this year!)
Old 12-31-2009, 08:54 AM

Dear sunkistmi:

There really is no pattern. It all depends on the size of your shelves.

My book shelf measured:12" deep x 40" long.

I wanted 3 "stacks" per shelf with a little "wiggle room" between the stacks. The cardboard dimensions I used were: 11" x 12".

The cardboard doesn't have to be thick. Most of mine were from
cereal boxes and soft drink cartons.

I've recycled a few of my many plastic boxes to store seam binding, bias tape, trims, etc. The rest found homes as containers for off season clothing and shoes.

Good luck!
Marveen in Sunny Tucson

Marveen
in Sunny Tucson
Old 12-31-2009, 08:55 AM

I have to admit I used the pictures on here to prove to my DH that I am not alone in my mess!! He keeps telling me I could get SSSSOOOOO much more done if I would just be more organized!!! LOL
Old 12-31-2009, 09:11 AM

Hi, My youngest granddaughter has started cleaning up my back room so I can find all of my stash. Maybe if I can get her over here again I can get it cleaned up enough to move my sewing machine back in there. Please give me some motivation and the energy to do it. At 78 it gets harder and harder to want to go work where you have to be on your feet a lot.

Henri
Old 12-31-2009, 09:16 AM

:roll: How did you know mine looked just like that :lol:
Old 12-31-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by sunkistmi
Marveen, would you be willing to share the pattern or describe your pattern for folding the fabric? My fabric is all in plastic bins but is a bear to work with, especially of you want something at the bottom. I've looked at the commercial ones but that's alot of money. Sure would appreciate any help you would like to give. Thanks.
Wendy
I use my plastic cutting ruler to fold all my fabric. My ruler is 6" wide and 23" long. I start with the fabric folded to be 22" wide and put the ruler near the end of the length with about 2 inches of fabric overlapping the ruler. Then, keeping the fabric taut, roll or flip the ruler from one end of the length to the other. Then fold the 6" x 22" in half to be 6" x 11". This fits most standard shelves and the fabric looks really neat being folded all to a uniform size. Then just sort by color.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:22 AM

When we decided to redo our house this fall, I asked that we do my sewing room first. Silly husband thought I'd forget the rest of the house. Now we've finished the whole place and I love the downsized, redecorated house, and especially my ROOM. It's my sewing, scrapbooking, computing, etc. Happy Place. I've posted some picture on previous threads. It's alot of work but so worth it. Still having trouble finding the new places I've stored things, but trying to use a database on computer for directions to look in. Good luck everyone!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:25 AM

Thanks Marveen, I'll have to start saving cardboard. I'm using metal shelves in a closet that I plan to take the doors off. I never close them anyways and they just make it more difficult to get to the shelves. The fabric that is stacked there is really random. I had them all sorted at one time but had to use the room for an exchange student. All my fabric got put in plastic bins and my son "helped" me move it back to the shelves after she left. It didn't quite go back the same way it came off so it's really caotic and makes it hard to find things. The fabric in the plastic bins is even less organized. I'm trying to figure out how I want to organize it, Should it be by color, by design, i.e., music, cats, flowers, etc. I go in there with all kinds of good intentions and end up leaving totally overwhelmed, without getting much done. Does that happen to anyone else? I really want to get it set up so I can use my new Phaff and do some of the embroidery with the discs I got for Christmas. I also got a Fab-U-Motion that should make it easier to do some of the free motion quilting without so much stress on my joints. Anyways, maybe with all of us supporting each other, I can get something done. Thanks for the motivation and affirmation.
Wendy
Old 12-31-2009, 09:35 AM

Wendy, you're not alone in being overwhelmed. I went for months saying I was going to organize. And I finally just took it a little at a time. After 2 months, I finally finished. I'm so happy with it now that I love going in there. And because it did take me so long, I have managed to keep it organized so I won't have to go through all that again.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:45 AM

Sounds like a great idea. I clean it and it gets messy again.
It is comforting to know that I am not alone. :)

maryellen