Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by nuttyhurricane
You are truely gifted. What about Project Linus? They sent a ton of light weight quilts to Haiti (sp?? please forgive). They also supply quilts to the childrens section of hospitals. Then there are the hospic, chemo, and foster children. Just start thinking out side of the box. Project Linus is on line. You can find a group that way. For the other two mentioned talk to some one at the hospital or try a few churches. Someone is always going through some hard time and could use one. Don't let this gift slide away. Also if you were not quilting what else would you do for theraphy? K
my youngest dd's class collected old suitcases for foster kids, cause they get moved around so much & have to put there stuff in garbage bags to move... she asked for a couple of quilts that had been pieced, but not quilted, we quilted them up over a weekend.. not show quality, but at least a couple kids who have nothing of thier own, now have a suitcase & a blankee...
Old 10-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Don't stop quilting. I didn't have an ongoing hobby when I was a child and I recall my Dad telling me often that I needed to develop a hobby. He is gone (over 30 years ago) and only a few years ago did I finally begin quilting. And the reason I wanted to learn to quilt was because I remembered the quilts my grandmother made and gave to us. Nothing fancy but they sure kept us warm. The quilts you make today can be the source of someone else developing quilting as a hobby ... continue to quilt and share your love of the craft with others. And share some photos with us on this board who are inspired by the beautiful work of quilters like you.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 PM

I disagree with your daughter also. I also love to quilt - just for the sake of quilting. Your quilts are not useless, or most likely ugly, they are works from your heart, which in my view makes them valuable. Did you ever think of giving them to charitable institutions, for raffles. I make quilts and donate to worthy charities, they really make a lot of money! I am self taught on sewing and quilting - so they are not fancy, but I think they are beautiful, and apparently so do all the people that buy raffle tickets.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
If you don't mind me saying... it's none of your daughter's damn business. There, I said it.

Unless you are asking her to pay for your materials, or you are paying for materials but she has to pay your mortgage or buy your food, you don't need to justify, or explain, or make excuses, or feel bad. Your life, your choices.

Tell her I said so. :P
AMEN! tell her we ALL said so!!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by carhop
Originally Posted by mom-6
If one of MY kids said that, I'd know they felt like I was spending money that they were too (fill in whatever word fits) to come right out and ask me for, but feel like I should be giving them...and for no other reason than they want to spend it on something they want but don't have the $$$ for at the moment and they don't want to wait till they have enough saved up to get.

I've been very generous to my kids and they've come to take it for granted, but now I'm retiring and my funds will be more limited and they are just going to have to deal with it! And they do at least partially understand my need to quilt and do other crafts, because I've been doing some sort of craft (not necessarily quilting) all their lives.
good for you I am not leaving much for my kids they p me off most of the time
i may not leave much but my stach, and my girls have put tags on everything in it, as to which one gets which.. i'm only 49 and in good health... i hope to use it up b4 they get their hands on it..
Old 10-06-2010, 01:21 PM

check around at local churchs, I make lap/baby quilts and shawls for my churchs prayer shawl group. Or go to a nursing home and ask the staff if there are people there that dont have anyone. Go visit them and gift them with a quilt. There are so many people out in the world that are lonely and need someone to care for them.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by dljennings
Originally Posted by IrishNY
If you don't mind me saying... it's none of your daughter's damn business. There, I said it.

Unless you are asking her to pay for your materials, or you are paying for materials but she has to pay your mortgage or buy your food, you don't need to justify, or explain, or make excuses, or feel bad. Your life, your choices.

Tell her I said so. :P
AMEN! tell her we ALL said so!!
I LIKE your spunk, IrishNY!! I second that AMEN!, dljennings!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:40 PM

Alright I say~ great response and I agree whole heartedly!!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Don't let what your kids say discourage you...Quilt away...Xmas is coming and you can donate to the Fire Department to give to victims of abuse or fire...our guild does and it is so rewarding..
Old 10-06-2010, 01:44 PM

If you've got quilts all over the house and all your friends & family have your quilts and you love making quilts, then what the heck! If your daughter thinks you're wasting time and money and she won't know what to do with them after you're gone, then have her read this string of suggestions.

That child's quilt you're working on--believe me, there is a child out there that will love your quilt when you've finished!
Someone is missing the boat--not you tho. I know it's hard to enjoy doing something when not even friends get why you do what you love to do. It gets kinda lonely. I'm with you and support your passion for quilting.!