Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting? >

What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

Old 09-20-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
1. Machine v. Hand-quilting
2. Wash or don't wash
3. The correct way to fix the original poster's problem, regardless of whether or not the problem has already been fixed by the board member you are disagreeing with.
4. Feathers!

I don't mind the controversial topics, though. I like to sit and read them and make cat-fighting noises. :D
I am not sure I understand #3 but I can hear the cat fights from time to time.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 PM

The way to do bindings.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by walkerjoanne44
Well got to put in my 2 cents worth, 1 cent maybe. Unless your quilt is being judged in a show, what ever methods you use to get your quilt finished, is owned by you the maker of said quilt. Your quilt can only be judged by the artist that made it. I like seeing all the quilts posted, sometimes they spark creativity in me. I really don't pay attention to people saying what should and should not be done. Fabric is our painters paper in a sense. what we manipulate it into is our art. quilters are artists. we make masterpieces.
Just my kind of response. The girls I am teaching to quilt now tell the newer girls. I could have told you she was going to tell you it's up to you about that.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Willa
How about the age children start cutting with a rotary cutter and sewing on a machine? Some say, for example, 8 year olds are ok and others say never before age 18.
Also agree with prewash and no prewash.
Never thought of the rotary cutter. Bet I would have to know the kid to decide that.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:18 PM

If you're looking for current controversy, check out the thread today on $3 for a fat quarter...it's almost as many pages as this thread!!! LOL!
Old 09-20-2011, 03:30 PM

Like your Dave Berry quote. Funny man. I like another of his too. Don't be afraid to try something new. An Amateur built the ark and professionals built the Titanic.

Originally Posted by Highmtn
I'd say where I see the LEAST education in quilters is "proper long term storage" of a cherished quilt. I've seen that topic "blow up" on other quilters boards a few times. I'm new here.. so.. I can't speak for what fires this board up.

Where there are PEOPLE...there will be controversy. Different strokes for different folks. There will always be "purists and traditionalists" in any craft OR walk of life. I don't come into chat to argue or cram my methods/beliefs down anyone's throat. I come into places like this to have fun, and I LEARN A LOT reading up on various things. Such CREATIVE people quilters are!!

My belief is this "quilt with the best fabrics and supplies you can afford to buy". But.. if someone's raising a family (or on a super tight budget) they can mostly just shop JoAnn Fabrics with coupons. That's not a crime on any level. Not everyone is making "heirloom" quality quilts. They are just having fun which is what it's all about. Personal experience is a great teacher - Failure is a better teacher...lol

In the grand scheme of life... some of these battle lines that ALL groups (not just quilters) draw strike me as a sad waste of energy. We can all learn something from each other.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:31 PM

Here in Las Cruces, at our State operated Farm & Ranch Heritage Museum, we had a beautiful gallery of quilts on display for several months. They were of wall hanging persuasion and not at all traditional. They were layered and sewn, beautifully. And each one unique. I was completely shocked at the negative response from old ladies and some old men. "Those are not quilts" Really? I could have never imagined such negativity.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:32 PM

I think the biggest debate I have seen here is Spray basting or pins...for me...I could not live with out my 505 ; )
Old 09-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by clsurz
Around here I belong to two quilt groups and both say "we have no quilt police here".

Can't say I've ever heard any of the two groups ever debate about what should be or not regarding wash or not wash...about fabrics....etc.

But than again I've only been in one over a year and the other one 9 months so perhaps haven't gotten to know them well enough yet.

As for "quilt police" I tell them around here that I live to annoy the quilt police. LOL
I live to annoy! :thumbup:
Old 09-20-2011, 03:37 PM

I have been here a few months and have not seen any ugly either and I really wasn't looking for ugly. No heated debates just kind of a poll of what board members thought we as a group (quilters) felt strongly about. And boy there have been responses. All VERY nice. Again I am NOT looking to make trouble. I love nice folks I have met here.

Originally Posted by Patchesnposies
I have belonged to many boards where people were not kind or tolerant of other folks opinions and have been very impressed with the kindness and encouragement I have seen on the QB!

I guess I just haven't read through to the end of a thread to see one get (ahem) ugly.

I love the QB and the folks who frequent it!