Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This hurt my feelings >

This hurt my feelings

This hurt my feelings

Old 03-21-2010, 08:44 AM

To heck with her!
At least you know not to bother with making such nice gifts for her!
Old 04-12-2010, 08:03 AM

She is clueless...and I can see why it hurt...
Old 04-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

I would keep her clueless! If she knew how much money and worth a quilt has, she would blab it to your hubby.

My sister used to be one of those persons. Always the comments and snide remarks. Now she is hinting for one. LOL!

On the other hand, envite her to go to the quilt store with you. That would open her eyes to the reality of quiltmaking. That is if you can stand to be around someone like that.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:05 AM

save a quilt shopping trip for a time youre together... make sure you get EVERYTHING needed for it... fabric, thread, backing, batting... let her see how much it really costs (Id be evil and save up to get a very special 1 with all the best again) lol

Maybe if she sees the actual cost, you can sneak in a time frame of how much work and how long it will take :D

Maybe she will at least change her definition on "saving money"

My DH is still in the "I cant believe you spent that much for a baby quilt that isnt even made" stage lol... but he loves the results lol
Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 AM

Guess who doesn't deserve to get one of your quilts! We all understand your pain! Sorry it happened.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Families are weird. My hubby's brothers and sisters ALWAYS make nasty remarks about home made gifts. They WANT cash and gift cards in his family. In my family getting something homemade is SPECIAL and if you get a generic gift card or cash is not considered a good gift.

Funny though I made my hubby's grandma a quilted wallhanging. Now the woman had a house FULL of antiques, furs, etc, but when she died one of the aunts asked for my wallhanging and it is still displayed at her home. I made that thing almost 20 years ago but it is still treasured.

So the moral of the story is that if they dont appreciate it, they will never understand the value of the gift. For those who appreciate it, the value is priceless.