Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best tip you ever got? >

What is the best tip you ever got?

What is the best tip you ever got?

Old 10-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
The wisdom, "Sometimes, even though your quilt isn't finished, you're finished with your quilt. Even Beethoven left things unfinished, and no one doubts his genius!"

Jan in VA
I like this one!

8-)
Old 10-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by kpelletier83
Best tip I ever got was how to make a design board with those insulation boards. Love it! Getting on the floor is a pain!
One I just discovered for myself. I used my lint roller to remove the lose threads after ripping apart a seam. Roll across and all the threads just disappear!
I keep a lint roller in my sewing area and use it constantly to get those pesky threads off my ironing table.
These are two of my favorites too!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I don't like finishing off the binding by hand as it is always too time consuming. Doing it all by machine was a bit hit and miss until a tailor showed me a trick of how I could sew it all by machine, and it was just as neat on both sides. No - one can tell from which side I was doing the final stitching and my binding goes on very quickly.
I wish you'd share this tip. I'd love to be able to do this and give up the hand stitching!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:40 PM

A tip my mentor ( long time quilter) has done that I think is brilliant. She used batting to make a design wall, put it up on a wall with a crown molding piece, and the batting hangs down to the floor, quilt pieces stick without pinning , to be moved around to find how you want them. Lots easier than crawling on the floor, and you can cross the room to get a better view.
also my view on striving for perfection, won't happen from this girl, but I always try to make this project a little better than the last, and learn from your mistakes.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:44 PM

This video for making a perfect binding has been a great help!

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/Cla...The-Angel.aspx
Old 10-07-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
Originally Posted by dgmoby
Originally Posted by buslady
I always make my binding double, sew the two edges to the quilt, then roll the fold to the other side and stitch it, feels like it would be more durable than a single layer. I like this idea since it does afford the opportunity to use two different color bindings!! Great idea, thank you!!
Right - that's how I normally do it as well.
Me too-I didn't know there was another way! Is that why I can't understand the two tone tip?????
That is called 'french binding". It is the only way I know...LOL!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
Too hard to pick one! but the latest was really useful....winding your binding on a toilet roll tube...so simple and effective.
You can also use one of those swiming pool noodles. Cut a section 5"-6" to wrap your binding around. To make them pretty, you can wrap a piece of fabric around it and tuck it in the ends to hold it. You can stick a pin in it to hold the binding until you are ready to use it, very sturdy and cheap to make.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
Originally Posted by earthwalker
Too hard to pick one! but the latest was really useful....winding your binding on a toilet roll tube...so simple and effective.
You can also use one of those swiming pool noodles. Cut a section 5"-6" to wrap your binding around. To make them pretty, you can wrap a piece of fabric around it and tuck it in the ends to hold it. You can stick a pin in it to hold the binding until you are ready to use it, very sturdy and cheap to make.
Great idea!!

8-)
Old 10-08-2010, 07:41 AM
MNM

Originally Posted by myothsec
Best "AHA! tip - TURN your home machine sideways when free motion quilting - it allows more room for the quilt, and the needle doesn't care if you sit in front of the machine or on the end of it. Makes handling bulky quilts MUCH easier!
AHA!!!!! Now that is thinking out of the box. Why did I never think of that??? Thank You soooo much. I have just started quilting my own quilts, ran out of $$$$ to send them out. They don't look to bad for a beginer. MNM
Old 10-08-2010, 08:09 AM
MNM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
wet the eye of the needle instead of the thread.
This tip sounds funny BUT I can tell you it works. The spit, or saliva for you more elegant ladies, seems to pull the thread right through the eye like majic. I don't do this on my machine but when I hand sew. You can do it on your machine by spitting on your finger and appying it to the needle. I have a self threading machine so do not have to use that method. This is a great tip. MNM