Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where is your workspace? >

Where is your workspace?

Where is your workspace?

Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 PM

I use 4 rooms.

My office is where I store my fabric, rulers, notions and WIPs. They are kept inside 4 large plastic containers.

My dining room - when I usually cut fabric, and baste.

My spare room - houses my sewing machine inside a sewing cabinet. The cabinet looks like furniture when folded up. Sometimes I move the cabinet into the lounge - depends on the project.

The lounge - where you'll find me hand quilting, and attaching the binding :)
Old 10-28-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
I have the largest room in my house - a bedroom upstairs with 2 walk-in closets. Fits my 6' cutting table, 2 4'x8' bookcases, gate-leg table with my Janome, ironing board, my Elna on it's sewing table and my longarm Innova 18" on a 12' frame. I still have room to walk around!

I started out almost 3 years ago with my DH's Singer on a dining chair while I sat on my recliner, moved to the dining room table, then to a corner of the living room. When I bought my longarm, I moved my guest room to a smaller bedroom and snagged the big one for myself, moved everything upstairs.

I know, I'm spoiled!!!
I prefer to think of it as "well-kept"
Old 10-28-2010, 06:29 AM

Wow....can I come live with you??? What a great work space!

Originally Posted by CircleSquare
When I married my husband 8 years ago, we started looking for a house with a large enough space for a longarm machine. The house we bought was 3 bedroom with a large livingroom just off the front hall, which would serve perfectly as a quilting room. I set up my sewing table with my Bernina and my serger, and when we bought the longarm, it was set up in that room. Then a few years later I realized I needed a large cutting table, and I also bought 2 commercial sewing machies, so I took the master bedroom for that. We moved into the second bedroom, which is pretty small. The third "bedroom" had built-in cupboards which served perfectly for all my stash. Our "den" became the living room and it all worked fine. Then last year my hubby decided to build on a new sewing/quilting room! It is almost 500 square feet and has its own 1/2 bath. So he tells people he got his livingroom and his master bedroom back. But, seriously, I really am blessed to have this space and I'm very thankful for a husband who enables my quilting habit! Of course, my business is paying some of the bills, so he can go fishing more! My avatar shows me in the old quilting room with the Bernina behind me. :)
Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tudey
Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
I know, I'm spoiled!!!
I prefer to think of it as "well-kept"
OOOHHHHH, I like the way you put that. You are so right, I am very well kept, cared for, loved and blessed!!! So, why am I thinking about knocking out the wall between my quilting loft and DSD's room now that she has gone off to college and making my room even larger??????????? Perhaps I best just make more quilts and my storage issue would take care of it self!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:19 AM

Well, it happened this morning!! There I was trying to finish up the machine work on a quilt so I could get to the binding. Still dressed in my nightie, barefoot, and hair uncombed. Yikes what a sight! My friend dropped in ON HER WAY TO THE BEAUTY SHOP. I was so surprised (and so embarassed, but I just invited her in, showed her what I was doing. (She's the friend I would like to get hooked on quilting.) She only stayed a minute and she was off to get pretty. I contnued my work and am now showered, hair done, and the quilt is ready for binding. :o)
Old 10-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I have a sewing room just off a living room. Has 2 big tables, and some shelves and a tall cabinet for storage. Plus some big windows.
I have a bedroom downstairs that I have a quilting machine set up in. Works great!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:28 PM

I work off a tray table in our motorhome. It's an older model without pull-outs & has no space. The tray takes up the entire aisle & DH says he needs a couple of months off from being cut off from the door/facilities all the time. I don't sleep much, so guess the next few quilts & projects will have to be stitched only during the night. Someday....
aahhhhh!! I can dream! :-)
Old 10-28-2010, 01:30 PM

when i'm at home i have a spare bedroom set up. when i'm in our motorhome i do all my sewing at the table. nothing like putting a king size quilt together in a 8' wide space.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 PM

I once lived in a 9 foot camper for 3 months! It was torture! No room to sew or quilt or anything!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts
I work off a tray table in our motorhome. It's an older model without pull-outs & has no space. The tray takes up the entire aisle & DH says he needs a couple of months off from being cut off from the door/facilities all the time. I don't sleep much, so guess the next few quilts & projects will have to be stitched only during the night. Someday....
aahhhhh!! I can dream! :-)
Aahhhhhhhhhhhhh!! I remember those days. We lived in a RV for nearly two years along with a dog. There was so little room but I still spent time crocheting and sewing. We weren't small people , so you can imagine how tight we were. DH sat at the table most all of the time and I set on the couch with my feet on it too so that he and the dog could pass by going to the door. My heart goes out to you. I hope you are in a warm place, we spent two winters in it and nearly froze. Hope things get better for you soon.