Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
ok what is the secret to making biscuits >

ok what is the secret to making biscuits

ok what is the secret to making biscuits

Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 AM

Can you get White Lily Flour( self rising) ? If so, just follow the directions on the side. I can cook most anything ,but when we first got married I could not cook biscuits, they were hard or doughy. So I bought White lily and followed the recipe,wha la, success!,preheat oven to 500º How does your oven cook? Does it cook fast ,have hot spots? I use a dough blender to blend shortning(works best if cold) to pea-size pieces. Then add milk in well in center, stir just until dough forms and most of flour has been incorporated. Turn out on floured countertop (i use waxpaper)and knead with the the heel of your hand twice, should feel like a fluffy pillow, then I flatten gently with my hands to the thickness I prefer and cut out all I can get on the dough at one time(the less its handled the better)Gather leftover dough & gently knead and repeat.Place in a greased pan, sides touching for soft ,apart for crunchier crust. And the big secret**** Bake for 10 to 12 minutes at *** 500º.**** makes them rise fast! They come out looking like a picture and with a crust that is crunchy and an inside that is flaky/crumbly and moist.I thought the recipe had a mistake, so I called DM & MIL and they both said yes 500º. I cook approx 45 bicuits every Sunday morn before church at my MILs for whoever shows up( about 10-15 of us) and there is nothing left for the poor dogs standing begging at the patio door. :lol: Added* The racks in my oven are at 2nd & 4th notch Also check biscuits starting at 5 min, I don't leave mine until they are done. And MIL oven cooks faster than mine,so hers is at 450º Just watch the tops & bottoms the first couple times and adjust. Good Luck :D :-D

dough blender
[ATTACH=CONFIG]127116[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-127111.jpe  
Old 02-23-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Best secret... Pillsbury, the kind in a can in the dairy section! ;) :lol: ;-) :lol:
once you get a good homemade biscuit you will never think that again! LOL
If you get the Pillsbury freezer ones, you may have to take that back. DH's granny (about 90 years old?) won't make 'em from scratch anymore because she's like "These are just as good as mine...and faster too!" :lol:
Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM

thanks for all the tips, girls, I've been cooking for 56 years and I still can't make decent biscuits!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

I goofed I forgot to add butter to mine in the recipe. I add about a stick of butter to mine. Slice in the cold butter and use a fork to work it into the flour.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:30 PM

I once helped mannage a little restaurant once and our calling card was drop home made biscuits with sausage gravy. One thing I know if I can't make pie dough at age 65 then I will not make good roll out biscuits :).... The bisquick recipe is another good one for home use. nice and fluffy. Lots of good luck
Old 02-23-2011, 02:41 PM

OK, here is my super easy, super good recipe.

2 cups self-rising flour
1 to 1 1/2 cups whipping cream (NO SUBSTITUTE)

*Combine ingredients, stirring with a fork until blended. [If dough is too stiff, add more whipping cream. If it's too sticky, add a little more flour. It should be kind of springy - not stiff.]
*Turn dough out onto a lighly floured surface, and knead 10 to 12 times only.
*Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness, cut with a 2" biscuit cutter (or a 2" glass) diped in flour to keep from sticking to dough. Place on a lighly oiled baking sheet.
*Bake at 450 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes about a dozen biscuits.

The trick is not to handle the dough too much. That's what makes them heavy or hard.

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:41 AM

She's got it right. Pea size shortening or very cold butter. Handle very little, White Lilly flower, and a hot oven. Use a glass, or mason jar to cut out your bisquits if you don't have a biscuit cutter. Serve warm with honey or syrup...or tomatoe gravy...now I'm hungry!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:08 AM

Yes, as others have said - Don't play with the dough. I do not cut my biscuits in circles, just slice them in strips and across. This makes square but very tender biscuits.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:46 AM

A friend of mine makes them every morning. She swears by Sunflower self rising flour, butter flavor Crisco and buttermilk. Handle as little as needed to mix, roll and cut. Hers are great, but IMHO that is something you need to practice. I buy the frozen ones and they are just as good, in fact, better than mine because I dont do it that often. I am diabetic and bread is my weakness- so I try to bake them sparingly.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:50 AM

Recipe on the bag of self-rising flour.