Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you use for rag quilts >
  • What do you use for rag quilts

• What do you use for rag quilts

Old 03-01-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
    I use the polyester batting and with the X sewn in the middle the batting stays in place just fine :thumbup:
    Me too :thumbup:
    Old 03-01-2011, 04:14 PM

That's why I don't add batting most times. We live in southeast Texas, where winter is about two weeks long, lol.
    Old 03-01-2011, 04:42 PM

I have made a few of these as well and all but one I used leftover batting scraps from other projects, making sure each square of batting was similar to others in content and loft. Sew an X across each square to keep it in place. Although on one I did, for my DGS, I quilted a different design on each square that mimic-ed the fabric. Some had stars, some hearts, some were cross-hatched, etc,..
    Looked really neat when done. Can't wait to get a few WIPs done so I can make another one that has different quilted motifs in each square like his.
    Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 PM

I've used Warm and Natural in the middle then sew an X so it doesn't shift.
    Old 03-01-2011, 05:49 PM

I also use the rag snips. Worth there weight in gold
    Old 03-01-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by lynnsim
    That's why I don't add batting most times. We live in southeast Texas, where winter is about two weeks long, lol.
    I could handle that kind of winter. Lol
    Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
    I have made a few of these as well and all but one I used leftover batting scraps from other projects, making sure each square of batting was similar to others in content and loft. Sew an X across each square to keep it in place. Although on one I did, for my DGS, I quilted a different design on each square that mimic-ed the fabric. Some had stars, some hearts, some were cross-hatched, etc,..
    Looked really neat when done. Can't wait to get a few WIPs done so I can make another one that has different quilted motifs in each square like his.
    That sounds like a very pretty quilt. Will have to try that when u use the batting and sew the X do u have to sew the batting at the seams also just wondering if it shows when clipped
    Old 03-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by craftinggrandma
    Originally Posted by PJisChaos
    That sounds like a very pretty quilt. Will have to try that when u use the batting and sew the X do u have to sew the batting at the seams also just wondering if it shows when clipped
    Yeah it will show if ya don't trim the batting smaller than the squares. Like I use 6" top and backing sq. with a 4" to 5" batting scrap, depending on the seam allowance I'm using(anywhere from a .5" to 1" seam). I also mark in water soluble pen on the top sq. the seam allowance I'm using and quilt only inside it. Looks really neat and interesting instead of just using a big ole X all the time. LoL
    *Edited to add*
    Also, I have not trimmed accurately before and if it's not too much batting showing I don't worry about it. If it's more than an 1/8 showing past the seam lines I just use a colored Sharpie that somewhat matches the fabrics used and color it to "hide" it. No one notices and it still comes out just fine. ;-)
    Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM

I use batting with flannel on the back. And do the X.