Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Need opinion....my daughter wants a Worm Farm in the house >
  • Need opinion....my daughter wants a Worm Farm in the house

• Need opinion....my daughter wants a Worm Farm in the house

Old 03-10-2011, 10:26 AM
    Banned

I have to somewhat agree....I don't like bugs either. I have gone fishing with my husband and he always baits my hook. I think that is why I hesitate, I will be the one taking care of them. :) I love that she loves all creatures and bugs but I just can't decide if I want it in my house. She always insists on keeping stuff on the kitchen counter or dining table. And when people come over they tend to be shocked that this woman who prides herself on a clean house has bugs on her oak table. :)
    But there is no doubt I want to get her this or something like it, just not sure what kind. :)
    Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Originally Posted by nycquilter
    I did this over my husband's strenuous and regularly repeated objections. It so greatly reduced our household garbage. You can compost all your food scraps, junk mail, non-glossy papers, including paper towels, paper plates, napkins. I kept the bin (eventually added a second) going for more than two years. This year, between one week and another, the worms all died. I was so sad. Also, the bins began to stink (I mean STINK in big letters). Husband insists I begin a compost bin without hte worms, but I'm not sure...I got to really like the little critters and this from a girl who refused to touch the earthworms in high school and college biology classes when it came to dissection! They are really interesting. Search "worm composting" on the web for more information. Definitely, go for it!
    Well, I compost OUTSIDE! The thought of worms in the house just grosses me out. I have tiny ants in the bathroom. They are crawling AROUND the ant traps. Had them off and on all winter. I hate bugs of most any kind, even worms. My husband used to take me fishing, but I couldn't bait the hook. YUK!!!
    Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 AM
    Banned

What about a frog/tadpole farm???
    Old 03-10-2011, 10:43 AM

Worm farms would be OK with me, but avoid at all costs the fruit fly hatching project!!!! We had to do that last year for a genetics class. Breed and hatch fruit flies and then count how many had red eyes and how many had white eyes. There were fruit flies in my house for ages after that!
    Old 03-10-2011, 10:44 AM

Much better than an ant farm and please don't ask me how I know.LOL
    Old 03-10-2011, 10:52 AM
    Banned

I had thought about that but I am too afraid they might get out and wonder my house..ick.
    Originally Posted by jdiane318
    Much better than an ant farm and please don't ask me how I know.LOL
    Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM

I started my worm bin on the cheap. There are bins available for purchase, such as through Gardener's Supply. But I didn't want to spend >$100 on this. I bought two big bins from Home Depot, drilled holes around the top of one to allow in air, put several holes inteh bottom for drainage. Placed that container, with its lid, in the second container (no lid). That way, any drippings were captured. This liquid may smell...And the kitchen counter is so not the place to store this. Think basement or garage. Start it by placing damp newspaper or leaves about 3" deep in the bin, adding the worms. Again, they are available through mail order, about $30-50 a pound. I went to the local farm and garden store and bought worms (red wigglers, genus name I don't recall, species is foetida) for much less than that. Do not use earthworms as their habits are different (sparing you the bio lesson) and won't work. they breed prolifically so you don't need a whole lot at first. Each week, I'd add my waste foods, peelings, rotten food, whatever. place it in a corner of the bin then cover with what is already there. Within a few weeks, you'll notice that they are making dirt. It smells earthy, to me at least though my DH thought otherwise. rotate the corner in which you place the garbage each week. to reduce smell, simply add more paper, I don't know why this works but it does. So I'd add newspapers and junk mail. also coffee after brewing, tea bags. No metals though and no plastics.
    Old 03-10-2011, 11:31 AM
    Banned

Oh gosh no...I was thinking more like this....
    I started my worm bin on the cheap. There are bins available for purchase, such as through Gardener's Supply. But I didn't want to spend >$100 on this. I bought two big bins from Home Depot, drilled holes around the top of one to allow in air, put several holes inteh bottom for drainage. Placed that container, with its lid, in the second container (no lid). That way, any drippings were captured. This liquid may smell...And the kitchen counter is so not the place to store this. Think basement or garage. Start it by placing damp newspaper or leaves about 3" deep in the bin, adding the worms. Again, they are available through mail order, about $30-50 a pound. I went to the local farm and garden store and bought worms (red wigglers, genus name I don't recall, species is foetida) for much less than that. Do not use earthworms as their habits are different (sparing you the bio lesson) and won't work. they breed prolifically so you don't need a whole lot at first. Each week, I'd add my waste foods, peelings, rotten food, whatever. place it in a corner of the bin then cover with what is already there. Within a few weeks, you'll notice that they are making dirt. It smells earthy, to me at least though my DH thought otherwise. rotate the corner in which you place the garbage each week. to reduce smell, simply add more paper, I don't know why this works but it does. So I'd add newspapers and junk mail. also coffee after brewing, tea bags. No metals though and no plastics.
    small science type kit
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]119577[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-119572.jpe  
    Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 AM

oh, gotcha. sorry!
    Old 03-10-2011, 11:38 AM

At least she's not breeding gerbils for snake food... ask how I know that :D
    Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 AM
    Banned

But I may want to do that for my yard too. :) thanks for all of the info :)
    oh, gotcha. sorry!