Wall Paint

Old 03-12-2011, 10:45 PM

I was thinking blue, also, or the peach would look nice, too. IMHO
Old 03-12-2011, 11:08 PM

Yes, the paint chips will work nicely, and do observe them in different lights. A pale peach will show up your pretty woods nicely, with maybe a sharper and deeper color for accent. I'd make the ceiling the same or lighter.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
I plan on painting my living room walls this spring and am having a problem deciding on what color. My carpet is light tan, my furniture is in different shades of brown, end tables are dark brown and all the trim is white. Need to add some color and don't know which way to go. Any suggestions? BTW I have white drapes on the windows.
I worked in the paint business for years and here is my 2 cents worth. When at the store, take the samples/ chips outside in natural light...fluorescent gives you a completely different color!! When you take some of those home, or if you buy the sample cans, make sure to get extra of each color and put them in different places that have different amounts of light. Make sure to really pay attention to all of them at different times of day, evening, and light. There is nothing worse than finding your perfect tan for one room, but looks peach or pink in another room!!

I have the same colors and my walls are a light butterscotch color. I like warm neutrals, but I love color too, so my kitchen is a deep rusty red :). Don't rule out using a neutral and making one wall a "stand out" color!! If you do that, you get your "color" and it's easy and cheaper to change, when you just have to repaint one wall.

Make sure to show us what you went with!!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:37 AM
BMP

Taupe, I have just completed my whole house in this color, everything goes with it. I get Valspar from Lowes called Beechnut, not too dark and not to light, I also have beige carpet and furniture and add color with toss pillows and quilts,which I chang out by the season.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by cherrio
terra cotta
I agree!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:58 AM

I redid my DIL's living room while she was gone on vacation she loved it It is a creamy coffee color and turquoise
Attached Thumbnails attachment-116625.jpe   attachment-169200.jpe   attachment-169206.jpe  
Old 03-14-2011, 04:47 AM

go get some of those small sample jars of paint in several colors and paint them on the wall. Check them out for a few days, you'll be amazed how they change depending on the sun. Maybe pick one waal (accent) and the other walls a lighter color - try green too!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:47 AM

My first thought is always "how to fit in some red!"

If you are going to paint any walls red or another dark color- First use a GRAY primer. Otherwise you will need twice the paint. Stores will not tell you about the gray primer. But they will sell it to you the same as any primer.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:48 AM

Well, assuming your avatar was taken in your living room, here's a mockup of several different colors. I'd suggest you take a good photo without the quilts on the couch and play with photoshop and color swatches. You can scan the photo and then scan the color swatches. Then, replace the wall color with the colors from the swatches.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-169644.jpe  
Old 03-14-2011, 07:07 AM

I have to go back to my grandmother's house when she decided she needed paint in her living room.. She used a very soft light gray on her ceiling and a very lite soft minty green on her walls - it was the freshest room in her house despite being on the north side of the house - and it always felt cozy, inviting and clean.. Here I am in my late 60's and still waiting to do that color combination in my house - probably will never happen, but loved it so much.